• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Putting together my first AR pistol upper and looking for a muzzle brake to help lessen perceived noise behind the gun.

I have heard good things about the Novreske, but its pretty pricey for what it appears to be. (a slightly larger open ended tube)

The Guntec is significantly cheaper, but I havent heard anything about that one.

Suggestions?

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    I've heard good things about the Kaw Valley linear comp. I have experience with the KAK and Flaming Pig brakes and while both do great at throwing perceived noise downrange and away from the shooter they also produce quite a fireball. I went with the Spike's barking spider II as it serves the best of both worlds (linear comp/flash hider).
    https://www.spikestactical.com/collections/muzzle-devices/barking-spider-2-brake/

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I like my Kaw Valley linear comp but it's on a 9mm. I have one for a 300 BO but haven't tried it out yet.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I've been running a Kaw Valley linear comp on my 300 BLK pistol since the first shot. I have not tested w/o earpro, but there is for sure no concussion felt.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I have a couple of the troy claymore brakes and like them even tho they arent an open can design. Push everything away from the shooter while still keeping muzzle flash reasonable. They arent too badly priced either FWIW.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I have a KX5 (needed to fit inside a handguard) that I use on a 7.5" barrel to direct sound and blast forward, and it definitely helps in those respects. When I was researching I found that the other brands of similar design were made of aluminum where the Noveske was steel... but that was a few years ago and things may have changed. Be aware that if you shoot indoors, or even outdoors under a roof, a 5.56 AR with a 7.5" barrel is still obnoxiously loud no matter what you screw on the end of it unless it requires a stamp. Expect giant fireballs as they're in no way a flash suppressor...

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Just use a bird cage. It’s going to be loud regardless.... heck last course I had someone shooting a pig next to me. My double ear pro was struggling.

If a suppressor is in your future save the money, and use what you saved to buy the muzzle device that fits the can.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just use a bird cage. It’s going to be loud regardless.... heck last course I had someone shooting a pig next to me. My double ear pro was struggling.

If a suppressor is in your future save the money, and use what you saved to buy the muzzle device that fits the can.

Thats why I dont want to sink $130 for a Novreske. I'm probably going to start with one of the knockoffs for now. A can and stamp arent in my budget right now, but maybe later it will be.

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I have a KX5 (needed to fit inside a handguard) that I use on a 7.5" barrel to direct sound and blast forward, and it definitely helps in those respects. When I was researching I found that the other brands of similar design were made of aluminum where the Noveske was steel... but that was a few years ago and things may have changed. Be aware that if you shoot indoors, or even outdoors under a roof, a 5.56 AR with a 7.5" barrel is still obnoxiously loud no matter what you screw on the end of it unless it requires a stamp. Expect giant fireballs as they're in no way a flash suppressor...

Love how you got the edge of the brake just outside of the handguard. You build the rifle or was the upper assembled already?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a KX3 “Loudener”, my buddies HATE it when I bring it to the range days. The night fireball is extraordinary, and it’ll shut down the PVS14 right quick.

Top Bottom