• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'll admit this has limited applicability but it is VERY handy for shooting events/sports where you are having to load mags to different round counts throughout the day. Helps determine very quickly if your partially loaded mag is a "full" 10 rounds as required by the course description or if it is a partially full from the previous stage.
    I also used it to "calibrate" my window mags that have round counters on the sides. at least 2 had the orange mark on the spring pointing to either above or below a round count so I never knew if it was 1 more or 1 too many.

Materials: White zip tie, fine point sharpie, knife/side cuts to cut the tip to square.

Design principals: The more informed may correct my logic because this is based on my observation of the different types of mags I have. AR mags seem to have as part of their design the same horizontal line on the back (noted with the yellow dotted line.) Using this as the reference line works much better than using some reference point on the round itself and I noticed the depth of the curvature is not the same from one mag to another. I marked the zip tie on both sides. I made sure to mark in the depth of the groove on the side with the groves and lands hoping that will protect the mark from getting wiped away over time. I had to write "5,10,15,20.." on the smooth side of the zip tie so we'll see how it holds up without the grooves protecting it from being rubbed away over time.

I may get creative and make smaller hash lines for each round. (?)

Everything else seems self explanatory.
    A5fkijD.jpg

RTSqjzf.jpg

mAxJBTs.jpg

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If you wanted to make one without having to unload and load mags here are the measurements from mine.

From base to center of the marker line (and center to center of each subsequent marker line) it is 23.63mm or .930 inches. This is an every 5 round mark. I tried to round it to the next closer even measurement but the slight error adds up pretty quickly with each line.
    I would also add: mark the line on the smooth side first because it doesn't always match a groove on the reverse side and this will also prevent errors adding up if you are marking it from a measurement vs loading rounds and marking accordingly. If you catch an error, rubbing alcohol on Qtip will "erase" magic marker if it hasn't had a lot of time to dry.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    It's about idiot proof since it contacts the follower, and about all AR mags have the hold open lug on the follower.
    I give it a thumbs up for simplicity and function.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Bumping, I had a couple guys say they couldn't find this thread.
    Plus, I lost mine a couple weeks ago and really missed it at the 2 gun match where you have to load mags to 10 rounds. I'm going to make a handful and just put them in all the locations I keep gun stuff. It should be just as easy to made 10 in assembly line fashion as it would be to make 1.

Top Bottom