• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Was running low on on the old tried and true Hoppe's No. 9. Picked up a couple things from Wally world this morning. Last thing I grab before I head to check out was what looked like my usual Hoppe's. Turns out to be the synthetic version. Didn't notice until I get home to do some cleaning. So now I'm mad at myself for being a bone head and not reading the label. But then I think,well it looked exactly the same. So I used it anyway. I figured they wouldn't put out junk,right? Well first, it doesn't smell the same.:( But all that really matters is that it works. I had only run a couple rounds through my Gen3 G27 to test some ammo. So it wasn't a good test of the synthetic stuff because the Gen 3 barrels have always cleaned way easier than say the S&W M&P barrels I own. Does anyone have enough time using the synthetic to give a thumbs up? Or should I just put that under "read the label next time" and learn my lesson?

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    I bought a bottle a few years ago, used it a few times, wasn't impressed and never tried it again. I may or may not have given it a fair trial.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks for the warning as I had no idea they have a new formula available. Its the smell that melts the goo. True story.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Every time I open a bottle of Hoppe's #9, that smell takes me back to when I was a kid, watching my dad and my older brother clean the guns, and later, when I was old enough to clean my own guns.

I'm still mad that I can't find it in the glass bottles anymore.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Seriously! There's plenty of room on the label. Why not call it Hoppe's #10 and change the color?

Same with Original Skittles. 2010 green Original Skittles were lime flavored. 2019 green "Original" Skittles are green apple. How can they still be "original" if the flavors changed?

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    I bought a bottle a few years ago, used it a few times, wasn't impressed and never tried it again. I may or may not have given it a fair trial.
    I'm going to put it to the test soon. The Wolf 9mm ammo is the dirtiest I have. A couple hundred rounds of that through my FNS 9 barrel should fun to clean.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Every time I open a bottle of Hoppe's #9, that smell takes me back to when I was a kid, watching my dad and my older brother clean the guns, and later, when I was old enough to clean my own guns.

I'm still mad that I can't find it in the glass bottles anymore.

post-1259-0-96572500-1490046157.jpg
    21p7zd.jpg
    Channel.jpg

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I love Hoppe’s #9.

But strangely enough the most effective carbon solvent cleaner I have is the pro shot copper solvent. It has a little ammonia and feels soapy like glass cleaner.

But it dissolves carbon seriously, better than anything else I have: Hoppe’s , Ed’s Red, Marvel mystery oil, rem bore brite, etc

deeno3432

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 4, 2018
    heartland
    I've always used hoppes 9 but I did get a bottle of of hoppes elite our last year not sure if it was synthetic but it smelled different and wasn't very viscous.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I started using Hoppe's 9 when I was 9yo learning to clean dads shotgun. And it's pretty much all I have ever used as a bore cleaner.
    To this day my dad and brother bust my chops over it. When I was 10yo, I was cleaning grandaddy's shotgun after a trip to the trap range. I had a glas of sweet tea on the table next to thw Hoppe's 9. Well I was also watching tv and without looking or thinking, I picked up the Hoppe's and had a swig. Obviously I immediately spit it out and realized what I did. But to this day 30yrs later they still warn me not to drink it...every time I grab a bottle of it.

Top Bottom