• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BrettonJudy7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 2, 2017
    GREENFIELD
    I am looking for an optic for my AR. Something on the low end, but decent. A good intro optic. I want something around 4 power. Looking to do more midrange shooting. Currently using a Bushnell red dot, and wanting to get a little more range. Of course I would love to get an ACOG, but as my wallet does not allow me the fortune of that, I have to settle for a lot less. My budget is between $50 - $125ish? What are some options for a decent 4 power optic without breaking the bank?

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    A used 3-9 from the classifieds could fall into that range. Other than that, I think VUPDblue nailed it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    You dont get decent, and that price range. It's just the way the world works.

My advise is as follows

Best option=save money

Other option= buy anything with 4x, and in your budget (couldn't matter less what you pick). Shoot it a little and realize you wasted your money. Proceed to throw whatever you bought in the trash, and call it a cheap lesson.

This. Totally.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Save up a few more dollars and get a Weaver grand slam 3-10.

Anything cheaper than that, and I’d just stay with your red dot.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So what I'm hearing is, I should just save the money and get something better. It's worth it to save and get better.

The flip side here is what are you shooting at using your red dot that you can't hit at "midrange"?

Pop cans at 200 with a red dot = challenging.
    Man sized target at 200 with a red dot = cake.

Low power variable scope are all the rage now but there still are flip to side 3x magnifiers out there in your budget. A&A might even have one in stock.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    I am looking for an optic for my AR. Something on the low end, but decent. A good intro optic. I want something around 4 power. Looking to do more midrange shooting. Currently using a Bushnell red dot, and wanting to get a little more range. Of course I would love to get an ACOG, but as my wallet does not allow me the fortune of that, I have to settle for a lot less. My budget is between $50 - $125ish? What are some options for a decent 4 power optic without breaking the bank?

A year ago I was right where you're at. I found a decent 1-4x24 AR scope with red-lit dot at the center of crosshairs. You might have to shop around for better street price like I did when I got it for $125. It was good enough to take my first two coyotes at 100 yards! I hadn't heard of this brand before but it's a decent starter option with good battery life. https://www.traditionsfirearms.com/product/ar-patrolman-1-4x24-scope-a1103

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The false economy of a cheap deal has gotten us all at one time or another. If you overpay and still get quality, you're only out the money you overpaid. But if you underpay? You're out the money you paid AND the function, since you now have to buy that item again.

I actually don't like the idea of a LPVO. I think they are kind of the worst of all worlds. Neither the speed of a RDS nor the precision of a finer-crosshair optic.

I personally think most of us almost never need anything between 1 and 4. We generally either want 1x or something more (4x, 6x, etc). How may people do you know with a LPVO actually run it between the two extremes? ALmost nobody IMO.

Since you either want the speed and view of a 1x or the precision of more mag, why not sidesaddle?

Something like this would be truly useful:
    Trijicon-Acog-ar-15-scope-red-dot-combo-300x258.jpg

If you can live with the weight, a 6x42 SWFA has a lot going for it: very bright (42mm for only 6x). Large exit pupil (again 42mm for only 6x). Good FOV. Reasonable glass. Good reticle. Excellent turret tracking. Physically very tough.

For shorter range stuff, you can either piggyback a mini reflex/RDS or use offset irons.

Leupold makes the best take on this idea I've seen yet:
    https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/d-evo

63PGP

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2018
    Boone
    I retract my statement. I forgot we just got a refurb shipment. Those deals are the only time its possible, and that's assuming mount is not figured into budget.

Thanks for the post. Picked up a PST 2.5-10x32 from the refurb's.

Mike

Top Bottom