• ...and so much more!
  • Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Just curious what everyone has for their "Red Dawn" scenario. I have used mine at a few courses. Always evolving...

AR500 Arena plate carrier.
    Lvl III 10x12 front and rear.
    Ka-Bar TDI Hellfire in Armatus sheath.
    (8x) 30rd pmags, 2 per pouch.
    Dbl pistol mag carrier used for multitool & flashlight.
    CAT tourniquet in holder
    IFAK (shears, Israeli bandage, iodine, nasopharyngeal tube, enough gauze to choke a donkey, etc).
    Water pack (can't recall brand-Rothco?) w/ 2liter bag

It's not light. At all. Truthfully, it's not much of a burden if fitted properly. Really don't want to add anything else unless deemed critical.

Working on my belt now. Pistol only for it (as the carrier revolves around my rifle), so it won't be much

I'm open to suggestions and/or criticism from those more sage than I.
    5849c0e8277b7ab4adfcaec9159722a8.jpg
    b64ea40858fa91d298ce3582133050f9.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Like the knife placement, very handy.

I usually say it and people either don't give a hoot or ignore it, but try to find a carrier similar to the one you have, find some cheap, I mean really cheap, AR500 plates and practice running, moving around the homestead, shooting in them. I have a cheap carrier rig for practice (running) plus my regular rig. I've weighed down cheap airsoft grade magpouches to duplicate loaded mags.

I like AR500 plates, I think they've really opened up protection to ALOT of folks that could not previously buy it, but they are heavy. And they move unnaturally as you move. You'll get the Ceramic plate master race in here shortly, I'm sure, to denigrate your choice, but it's better than nothing and a heck of a lot better than duct taping several layers of Correl dinner plates to your chest when things pop off. Some knock it because it won't stop a VERY specific threat: In example, it won't stop M193 fired from a 20" barrel at sub 25 meter environments. It won't stop AP, etc... I always counter with, "Well, it doesn't stop it but how much oomph does that 55 grainer still have after going through a 1/4" of hardened steel?" Armor isn't there to stop everything, it's minimal goal is to mitigate lethal shots, downgrading things to mainly mobility kills rather than outright death.

Biggest thing: What are you using for spalling? Coat your plates, get a cheapy expired kevlar vest (how I use it) and put it in front of the plate in the carrier to catch the fragments, anything. You don't want to die from a cut artery in your throat after being shot in the stomach, lol

Do you have practice with using a tourniquet? If not, ditch it or get trained. You'll do more damage than good if you have it and don't know how to use it (trained, professional first aid training, not youtube videos). I don't use them. Your 'enough gauze' is darn good. Stay away from QuickClot (again, training thing, if you don't know, then don't)

Are you right or left handed? If you are right handed, switch your primary mags to the other side, moving your multitool and flashlight to the other side. Makes it easier for you to grab your mags and not fight for space with the bulky mag carriers on your rifle side. You could, in theory, move your multi and flashlight to the side completely and put some real estate for pistol mags. Two will do. I don't understand why people pack a ton of secondary mags on their carriers and take up real estate that would be better used for primary mags.

You might want to, but up to you and your training method, look at getting primary mag carriers that have some molle in front of them to put your knife out front so nothing might hitch up your mag retrieval.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Thanks for the input. To answer a few of your questions/comment:

"And they move unnaturally as you move" - I had this issue early on, then i made adjustments to fit and have very little "play" in them. Everything stays put well.

"What are you using for spalling?" - The plates have the build-up coat on them to prevent just that.

"Do you have practice with using a tourniquet?" - I take a Stop-the-bleed class every year, the next being in May. I carry a tk4 type on me as part of EDC as well.

"Are you right or left handed?" - Everything is set for me as a LEFTY. I have done several course and my rig evolves with each course as I learn what works, and what needs to be moved.

"put some real estate for pistol mags" - the carrier is tuned for rifles, and I am working on a battle belt setup for all things pistol. Probably very minimal (holster, 1 dual mag carrier, knife)

"nothing might hitch up your mag retrieval." - I have yet had ANY issues pulling mags with the knife placement. The ranger plate things help as well.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I usually say it and people either don't give a hoot or ignore it, but try to find a carrier similar to the one you have, find some cheap, I mean really cheap, AR500 plates

ar500.com has some REALLY good sales going on now. One could get a full loadout rig WITH lvl III plating for under $300 depending on model/options.

snowdrifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Next to Atterbury
    I saw the deal at AR500 for the full set of lightweight plates for $299 (~$400 after adding the build-up coating, shipping, and theft), seemed like a pretty good deal.

https://www.ar500armor.com/promotions-sales/level-iii-lightweight-bundle-1.html

As a perspective armor purchaser with no experience, maybe some of you can chime in. Preference between the ALSC vs full cut? My thought was in favor of the lighter weight and extra maneuverability of the ASC, but is it giving up too much coverage? Maybe ASC in the front and full in the back? Though that's not listed as an option in this particular package. How about side plates; 6x6 or 6x8? Again, doesn't seem to be any choice in this particular case.

Last edited:

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    1. Everything that can save your life needs to be within reach of both hands.

2. I normally have 2 or so mags in a position that I can get to very fast in case of an oh s**t moment use with your hardest to get to mags first.

3. Watch the weight 8 or so rifle mags are plenty ensure it’s balanced or you will get hotspots.

4. What are you wearing under it?

5. Practice TQ with both hands you don’t get a choice in the real world. Quick note: carry two TQ’s

6. If possible expand your medical knowledge to needle decompression, wound packing and the correct use of quick clot.

7. DH is right if you are carrying a rifle your pistol is a sidearm. I do not carry a pistol or mags on a carrier it’s on my belt that way if my carrier is not on me I am still armed.

8. Practice getting out of the plate carrier. What if you fall into water? Get stuck in a vehicle? ( you have a seatbelt cutter right) it would be a shame if you died because you couldn’t get the damn thing off

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I saw the deal at AR500 for the full set of lightweight plates for $299 (~$400 after adding the build-up coating, shipping, and theft), seemed like a pretty good deal.

https://www.ar500armor.com/promotions-sales/level-iii-lightweight-bundle-1.html

As a perspective armor purchaser with no experience, maybe some of you can chime in. Preference between the ALSC vs full cut? My thought was in favor of the lighter weight and extra maneuverability of the ASC, but is it giving up too much coverage? Maybe ASC in the front and full in the back? Though that's not listed as an option in this particular package. How about side plates; 6x6 or 6x8? Again, doesn't seem to be any choice in this particular case.

As for side plates, I asked about this a few months back.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e-actually-use-side-plates-plate-carrier.html

Aaron762

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2018
    Hope
    I keep my setup as slimline as possible. I have a voodoo tactical plate carrier with sappi plated front and back backed with level 3 kevlar. 3 ar mags up front with 2 pistol mags, ifak on my right side. I also have a brokos belt setup to go with it that has 2 ar mags on my left side, 3 pistol mags, a glock 17 on my right side and a cat 7 up front where both hands can reach it. A benchmade nimravis, surefire fury and some more medical on the back of the belt.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    As a perspective armor purchaser with no experience, maybe some of you can chime in. Preference between the ALSC vs full cut? My thought was in favor of the lighter weight and extra maneuverability of the ASC, but is it giving up too much coverage? Maybe ASC in the front and full in the back? How about side plates; 6x6 or 6x8?

I have no intention on ever using side plates.
    Curious about shooters cut myself. Mine are standard cut. Looking for input from those that have used both. Weight differential versus coverage.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    3. Watch the weight 8 or so rifle mags are plenty ensure it’s balanced or you will get hotspots.

4. What are you wearing under it?

8. Practice getting out of the plate carrier. What if you fall into water? Get stuck in a vehicle? ( you have a seatbelt cutter right) it would be a shame if you died because you couldn’t get the damn thing off

3. Once I add my rifle, the whole thing balances well on my body. Haven't done too much activity wearing it with new configuration, so that is subject to change and most likely will. I'd have lightweight plates but man those are pricey.

4. Brad certainly not my Sunday dress. Lol. Curious as to the inquiry and the significance...

8. Never thought of that. I wonder what the neighbors will think when I get into the Jeep and try....

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    My advice is take as many courses as possible with it on. I have ripped so much crap off my carrier that all I have on it now is 2 mags and a tq.

Lets be honest, you don’t need much more than that

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    My advice is take as many courses as possible with it on. I have ripped so much crap off my carrier that all I have on it now is 2 mags and a tq.

Lets be honest, you don’t need much more than that

I’m in the same school of thought. My carrier has a 3 mag insert for the kangaroo pouch. The rest is on my belt.

Years ago in the army I carried something very similar to your setup. Plates, 8 mags, GPS, IR beacon, radio, frag, FB, smoke, medical, and hydration. I was younger and could take the weight. Now my back hurts constantly, pretty sure the amount of weight I packed onto my carrier has something to do with it.

YMMV though. If it works for you rock on.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I use a First Spear PC, 360* of level II soft armor + HMWPE front and rear. I've ran a few Run-n-Gun events, 1 when wearing the plates, and have moved things around quite a bit.

Having to maneuver through obstacles really makes you think about your kit. All of my mags have moved onto a battle belt. My PC is pretty clean because I got hung up on every obstacle. My rifle sling would also get hung up on the PC when it had mag pouches attached.

I have a 2L camelback and a small front mounted Maxpedition to carry extra ears, wipes for safety glasses (I run through mud), a stop watch / notepad / pen for recording wait times at the shooting stages.

I will be testing this same Run-n-Gun kit during the Larry Vickers class in June. We'll see how it goes.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I use a First Spear PC, 360* of level II soft armor + HMWPE front and rear. I've ran a few Run-n-Gun events, 1 when wearing the plates, and have moved things around quite a bit.

Having to maneuver through obstacles really makes you think about your kit. All of my mags have moved onto a battle belt. My PC is pretty clean because I got hung up on every obstacle. My rifle sling would also get hung up on the PC when it had mag pouches attached.

I have a 2L camelback and a small front mounted Maxpedition to carry extra ears, wipes for safety glasses (I run through mud), a stop watch / notepad / pen for recording wait times at the shooting stages.

I will be testing this same Run-n-Gun kit during the Larry Vickers class in June. We'll see how it goes.
    I recall being in awe at your mag setup on your belt at Seelyville in December. That setup didn't happen by accident.
    I could pull out the old ALICE gear.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Regarding number four

I was referring to wearing a breathable undergarment if one wears body amour everyday for an extended time you can develop “prickly heat” or heat rash.

BTW
    I am going to try a Battle Belt for the 1st time at the Larry Vickers class and my 5.11 thong!

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    Regarding number four

I was referring to wearing a breathable undergarment if one wears body amour everyday for an extended time you can develop “prickly heat” or heat rash.

BTW
    I am going to try a Battle Belt for the 1st time at the Larry Vickers class and my 5.11 thong!
    Everyday use would require societal collapse. Or a validated "call to arms".

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    You never know when the “zombie apocalypse” will happen!
    Better make sure you have clean socks and clif bars just in case.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Regarding number four

BTW

TMI, Brad!!

Top Bottom