Flat packed SOFT-T or Phlster Pocket Emergency Kit?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Thinking about adding a small piece of medical EDC to the other back pocket. Just looking for one small, easy thing, because I already feel a little packrat-y with the stuff I already carry.

Phlster makes a neato little wallet-sized EDC kit with a SWAT-T, gloves, and a piece of hemostatic gauze. On the surface, it seems to have more options, but I don't consider the SWAT-T in the same league as a proper strap tourniquet with a windless.

I dunno, I'm stuck. If you only carried one, which would you pick?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Currently carry nothing medical on my person. I keep a kit in the car, have other kits for hiking/range trips/other outings, but right now nothing that just drops into a pocket.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I might suggest a flat-packed Olaes bandage [1] with a bit of duct tape. You get a trauma dressing, 3 meters of gauze, and a removable occlusive plastic sheet.

You can treat some significant bleeding, pack a wound, and seal a chest wound in one package. Tourniquets are great, but I read a study recently that found the wounding profile in a civilian context was more weighted to penetrating torso wounds than extremities.

So, in terms of priorities, if your only going to carry ONE thing, maybe something more versatile than a TQ might be a good idea. Just some thoughts. :twocents:

Edit: Between the choices in the thread title, I'd add an occlusive dressing to the Phlster kit and carry that.

[1] - https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/OLAES-Modular-Bandage?quantity=1&size=3

Last edited:

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    My 3d printed version of his flat pack. PLA, deforms in the heat of a car, testing ABS, and retention that is not so tight. Works fine outside of the oven of my car in the summer.

2019-05-22_0937.png

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Here's an article similar to the one I was thinking about that mentions the different wounding patterns in the civilian vs. military contexts. I think it's helpful when prioritizing what to carry if you can't carry a full kit. - https://www.concealedcarry.com/safe...-tourniquets-as-important-as-everyone-thinks/

I suspect that the reason behind these conclusions is that the people who die in active shooter situations are people who aren't running or fighting. They're sustaining multiple head and chest wounds because they are being executed. There's no point carrying any EDC medical when your reaction to an active shooter is to curl up on the floor and wait for a double tap to the back of your head.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I suspect that the reason behind these conclusions is that the people who die in active shooter situations are people who aren't running or fighting. They're sustaining multiple head and chest wounds because they are being executed. There's no point carrying any EDC medical when your reaction to an active shooter is to curl up on the floor and wait for a double tap to the back of your head.

Yeah, could be. I think this is the article I had originally seen - https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2...fatalities-few-who-die-could-have-been-saved/ .

Although I have about a dozen TKs around in various kits (and for practice), I have added more chest seals after reading articles like these.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I carried a SWAT T daily for years.
    Recently (now over a year ago) I switched for a CAT as my EDC tourniquet.
    I carry the CAT in my ankle trauma kit, the SWAT T is kept as a secondary tourniquet, not on my person.

The CAT is easier to apply to yourself one handed compared to the SWAT T.

If you're already carrying lots of stuff in your pockets then an ankle med kit is a great way to carry extra gear.

In mine I have a CAT tourniquet, H&H packing gauze, 2 pairs of gloves, sharpie, duct tape, ziploc bag, H&H mini compression bandage, 7" trauma shears, safety pin.

I always have a third pair of gloves in my pocket (easier to access than the ones in the ankle kit).

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’ll add that even though TCCC has once again not approved the RATs TQ, I carry one everyday as I have little ones that SOF-T’s and CATs won’t work on. They are also way easier to carry on the person than the others. My ankle kit still has a CAT, Hyfin, Israeli, Combat Gauze, and an H&H compressed bandage, but the RATs goes in a pocket everyday, even when I can’t wear the AMK.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I might suggest a flat-packed Olaes bandage [1] with a bit of duct tape. You get a trauma dressing, 3 meters of gauze, and a removable occlusive plastic sheet.

You can treat some significant bleeding, pack a wound, and seal a chest wound in one package. Tourniquets are great, but I read a study recently that found the wounding profile in a civilian context was more weighted to penetrating torso wounds than extremities.

So, in terms of priorities, if your only going to carry ONE thing, maybe something more versatile than a TQ might be a good idea. Just some thoughts. :twocents:

Edit: Between the choices in the thread title, I'd add an occlusive dressing to the Phlster kit and carry that.

[1] - https://www.tacmedsolutions.com/OLAES-Modular-Bandage?quantity=1&size=3

Very interesting. I have been pondering that exact thing lately. I have had the opportunity to help with a lot of medical emergencies in a civilian context and none of them required a TQ. Dont get me wrong, I am not advocating against them, much like having gun, if that is what you need very little else will do.

Top Bottom