What's the deal with electronic keypads and key overrides?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Someone explain this to me.

I get that keypads fail so you want a key override.

But now you have two access points to secure. And one is a probably a substandard key lock, which after watching this guy's videos, I don't trust.

[video=youtube;cCay5ek_cW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCay5ek_cW0[/video]

So what's the appeal over a decent dial? :dunno:

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    As for SAFE doors:
    I've heard that many can use an electronic keypad by feel (in the dark).
    Also allows for an easier to remember combination of more numbers.

But my preference would be a dial, largely due to the maturity of that "technology".

As it applies to ENTRY doors (this example):
    Also allows for an easier to remember combination of more numbers. This is convenient for family who can't remember ****.
    Some can be changed remotely and some allow for "active times" when the electronics are disabled.

But, I'm on your side here too. I'm going to demand a physical entry token (key, combo dial, etc) that could be manipulated when the electronics fail.
    And if that's the case, then why not simply spend the "electronics" money on a better physical lock.

Last edited:

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    For securing doors, locks only keep honest people honest. I say use the ones that are most convenient for your situation. Nearly all of them can be defeated with a quick kick. Personally we rarely use the exterior doors for entry/exit so tried and true mechanical locks for us.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    For securing doors, locks only keep honest people honest. I say use the ones that are most convenient for your situation. Nearly all of them can be defeated with a quick kick. Personally we rarely use the exterior doors for entry/exit so tried and true mechanical locks for us.
    Hmmm.
    Tell me more about this "portal to the outside world" technology please! :)
    I feel like I'm missing something.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I've watched one of the lock-picking YT channels and have come to the conclusion that almost all door and padlocks are pretty easy to defeat.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    It is a convenience thing. Easy to change accepted keypad codes, or disable a code to lock someone out. Harder to re-key whenever you need to change access.

Locks, especially door locks (not safes) only keep lazy people out. While at the university, I had a HUGE collection of keys, that I routinely didn't have on me. I could still get through almost any door on campus, using only an ID card (my campus ID was convenient). Oddly enough, we did not have a theft problem, as criminals are typically lazy. If a door is locked, they would move on to the next unlocked one.

way2good4u95

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 5, 2018
    Plainfield
    LockPickingLawyer is an absolute master at picking locks and makes it look easier. However, most locks can be defeated with relative ease and are only used to keep honest people honest and keep the lazy criminals out. Use the most convenient lock for you and then beef up physical security measures to reduce the chances of forced entry by dedicated criminals.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I lost my front door key one time and decided to see how easy it would be to kick in the door. ONE KICK out s all it took, and I really didn't kick it that hard. It was at that point I decided that locks are just to keep the good guys out (as well as kids, the curious, and rhe SMALL time crooks).

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Someone explain this to me.

I get that keypads fail so you want a key override.

But now you have two access points to secure. And one is a probably a substandard key lock, which after watching this guy's videos, I don't trust.

[video=youtube;cCay5ek_cW0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCay5ek_cW0[/video]

So what's the appeal over a decent dial? :dunno:

Man, the Air Force had a metric crap-ton of those locks. In Iceland I worked with a Comm guy who'd spent the previous 15 years in the missile fields of North Dakota. He showed me a few other shortcuts to defeating those locks. Start with the default/out of the box combo. If it was changed, about five minutes is all you need.

Top Bottom