• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Got a new PSA AK (has side mount). I am wanting to add an optic in the near future. I haven't decided on an optic yet, but I like open sights without looking through a tube ( have a Holosun 510c on my AR.)......so it will probably be something similar....I only shoot up to 100 yards so...

Anyway, my info needed here is, what would be the best mount for an AK for a red dot similar to the Holosun mentioned above (open reflex style). I used the iron sights only on my WASR 10/63 UF that I had.

I've researched a bit and it seems the Midwest Industries mount...or RS Regulate would do nicely.
    The RS Regulate ones confused me somewhat as there were several and then you add in the optic bases or...??? ...couldn't tell right away if I would need just the side mount...or side mount with optic base......maybe it depends on which optic but it will most likely be an open reflex low magnification dot.

I don't think I want to use a gas tube mount unless that would really be my best option.

Thanks peeps!!!

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    The RS Regulate mounts are nice, but expensive. You choose the mount that you want (forward, center, or rear biased rail), and then pick the base that you need for your specific optic. The base mounts to the rail such that it can be adjusted side-to-side, allowing you to get it centered over your receiver/receiver cover.

I've never had or handled the MI mount.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    The RS Regulate mounts are nice, but expensive. You choose the mount that you want (forward, center, or rear biased rail), and then pick the base that you need for your specific optic. The base mounts to the rail such that it can be adjusted side-to-side, allowing you to get it centered over your receiver/receiver cover.

I've never had or handled the MI mount.

Thanks. This helps alot! The RS Regulate are expensive but do look nice. I'll check em out some more when I decide on an optic to see what I'll need.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    The RS allow for a lot more flexabity if you would like to change out your optics for different jobs so if your going to run multiple optics on one gun its a soild choice.... but with that said MI makes a killer soild mount as well just not as user adjustable (which for a ak seems right at home for most) also considure taking a gander over at kalinka optics they have a wide range of russian ak specific optics that slide right on that rail

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    The RS allow for a lot more flexabity if you would like to change out your optics for different jobs so if your going to run multiple optics on one gun its a soild choice.... but with that said MI makes a killer soild mount as well just not as user adjustable (which for a ak seems right at home for most) also considure taking a gander over at kalinka optics they have a wide range of russian ak specific optics that slide right on that rail

Thanks for this....I had heard of Russian optics/mounts but hadn't ever really found them. I see some new possibilities already. Decisions, decisions...

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I have an MI 30mm ring on an arsenal. Honestly I wanted a rail so I could mount an EOTech, but it came with the 30mm, so I stuck an Aimpoint PRO on it. It does an excellent job of returning to zero when removed.

I have also Ultimaks on a few AK’s and an AC556. They hold very well and I’ve not had heat issues even with the cheaper Primary Arms micro dots.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    Well, ended up with the RS Regulate mount. I ended up ordering the Annihilator package from AKOU (Rob Ski). The optic is the Primary Arms 3x Prism ACSS reticule...trying something a bit different. Seems the ACSS reticule will work well for me, and with 3x ( my 50 yr old eyes ain't what they used to be) I can reach out a bit further if need be.

And just fyi.... On my PSA gen3 AK, the RS mount has to be adjusted pretty much all the way in to lock up...but it does lock up solid.

Now to try an AK with an optic...new to me. Again, I'm basically a 50/100 yard shooter so we'll see how this setup works for me.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    I am pretty happy with my Midwest Industries mount which I use on a PSA AK gen 2. Locks up very solidly and seems to hold zero after removing and replacing the mount with the optic installed on it.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I am pretty happy with my Midwest Industries mount which I use on a PSA AK gen 2. Locks up very solidly and seems to hold zero after removing and replacing the mount with the optic installed on it.

Do you have the newer Midwest mount or the older one? I guess they have a 2 piece mount now as well, where you have the lower and can use whichever upper you need depending on optic.

Top Bottom