• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Opie Smith

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2019
    Columbus
    For those of you who have been tracking the OWL from Cloud Defensive you may know it is an Indiana based company. This does not mean it is a good piece of gear but it is interesting nonetheless.

Too see the video of the lights i used side by side with the OWL, follow the link below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ei5yboaVj0

Here are some of my observations of the OWL so far.

- It is a light the reaches out. Next to a 1000 lumen surefire, the OWL gave more clarity at further distances.

- Color scheme. The OWL have a warm color scheme where most lights use a cold color scheme. The more i use it the more i like it.

- The mount doesn't use wires to run a switch to activate the light. I didn't realize how much i liked not having wires to catch and tear off.

- It would seem that you need flat top 18650 batteries to work the light. Button top batteries, like i use in my streamlight, do not fit in the OWL. The flat top batteries do not work in my hand held lights.

These are some of my initial impressions of the OWL light. There will 2-4 more videos of the OWL next to other lights at various distances.

Thank you for reading this post.

If you are interested in more check out:

Opie Smith on Instagram and Facebook
    Grindstone Training on Instagram, Facebook, and YouTube

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I really want an OWL, everything I have seen on YouTube and Instagram seem to indicate it's a super solid light. Kind of nice to see a company give SureFire a run for their money as I really feel they are lagging behind right now especially with their insistence to stick with CR123

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    For those that may balk at the cost of the OWL

A light + mounting solutions for a SureFire will be in the same ballpark price wise.

May be able to save $ with another brand light - but will the bet-your-life reliability be there? Range toy / practice gun is one thing.

ETA: also - where in Indiana are they?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    ETA: also - where in Indiana are they?

they are in Chandler Indiana (about 5 miles from Evansville) they share manufacturing facilities with freedom ordnance, I think the owners of freedom are part owners in cloud, but don't quote me on that!

my friend who works at freedom making the fx9 pistols/carbines also makes the owl lights, 8541 tactical (on fb and has website) has one now putting it thru its paces, he (8541) is a Evansville Police Officer, he likes it so far, but yes the light is expensive, even though its expensive they do have some police/federal agencies looking at buying/issuing them.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    they are in Chandler Indiana (about 5 miles from Evansville) they share manufacturing facilities with freedom ordnance, I think the owners of freedom are part owners in cloud, but don't quote me on that!

my friend who works at freedom making the fx9 pistols/carbines also makes the owl lights, 8541 tactical (on fb and has website) has one now putting it thru its paces, he (8541) is a Evansville Police Officer, he likes it so far, but yes the light is expensive, even though its expensive they do have some police/federal agencies looking at buying/issuing them.

Excellent!

I've not been through Chandler in ages. I spent the better part of 5 years on the far West side of Evansville - and I still get back about 1 day every 3-4 months for work. But I don't have any time to visit any of my old stomping grounds.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Excellent!

and I still get back about 1 day every 3-4 months for work. .

if you let me know when, maybe we can grab a bite to eat or head to the range, for now weekdays are kinda bad for me, I work in Henderson, but fingers crossed hopefully that'll change soon, and ill be on the west side of evill 5-6 days a week!

and if you remember our donut conversation from awhile back, theres a new place downtown (parlor) that I hear is pretty good, and has a line out the door everyday, my daughter had some and said they were pretty awesome!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    if you let me know when, maybe we can grab a bite to eat or head to the range, for now weekdays are kinda bad for me, I work in Henderson, but fingers crossed hopefully that'll change soon, and ill be on the west side of evill 5-6 days a week!

and if you remember our donut conversation from awhile back, theres a new place downtown (parlor) that I hear is pretty good, and has a line out the door everyday, my daughter had some and said they were pretty awesome!

I'd love a range trip with some Evansville people. But I hardly even have time for a lunch break when I head down - let alone time for a range trip.

And Windmill Doughnuts > Donut Bank. Even though Windmill is closed now. I'll have to look up the place downtown. I get 'close' to downtown with one of my job stops (near the Rescue Mission)

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I'd love a range trip with some Evansville people. But I hardly even have time for a lunch break when I head down - let alone time for a range trip.

And Windmill Doughnuts > Donut Bank. Even though Windmill is closed now. I'll have to look up the place downtown. I get 'close' to downtown with one of my job stops (near the Rescue Mission)

https://www.facebook.com/pg/parlordoughnuts/posts/?ref=page_internal

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Eva...5581a87b14!2m2!1d-87.5725834!2d37.9713421!3e0

donut bank blueberry donuts = nectar of the gods!

Top Bottom