Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 50
  1. #31
    Grandmaster Sylvain's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    Great ideas and things to think about. I'll wait until I get the rooms done and see what I do for nightstands. I may be able to bolt a safe to the floor or under the nightstand if I build and install the floating ones we have in mind.

    I'll need to figure out a way to make it stout so the safe doesn't pull it off the wall.

    Or...I could build something hidden...
    They make some neat hidden stuff to store your guns, but you need to make sure it's hidden AND locked.
    Some make furnitures with hidden compartments for guns, eventually a kid will crawl under the table and find the latch to open the compartment.

  2. #32
    Master Usmccookie's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvain View Post
    They make some neat hidden stuff to store your guns, but you need to make sure it's hidden AND locked.
    Some make furnitures with hidden compartments for guns, eventually a kid will crawl under the table and find the latch to open the compartment.
    If my kid had my intelligence level, I wouldn't be concerned. But nope, she had to be smart like her mama. A couple of good options here to consider for sure.

  3. #33
    Mickey Mantle Trigger Time's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Usmccookie View Post
    If my kid had my intelligence level, I wouldn't be concerned. But nope, she had to be smart like her mama. A couple of good options here to consider for sure.
    yeah thankfully mine got my wifes too.
    I was going to make a marine joke that i know you would appreciate my friend but then Id have to come back and defend myself to some crybabies and that it was friendly vets ribbing.

    I was just talking with my other buddy about this yesterday. I hear somw people say their kids know not to touch guns and they trust them bla bla bla.
    Yep, my kids do too. But i know kids will be kids. All kids. As a parent, its my duty to not let there be any chance for an opportunity for their curiosity to intersect with a firearm. Unless I'm present.
    This is what my dad told me as a kid and ive said to mine "i had better never catch you touching (guns, powder, ect) without my permission or i will bust your ass. But if you ever have a question about it or want to see anything then come tell me and we will look at it together and safely anytime."
    Ask not what your country can do for you, Ask what you can do for your country. - President John F. Kennedy

  4. #34
    Master Usmccookie's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Trigger Time View Post
    yeah thankfully mine got my wifes too.
    I was going to make a marine joke that i know you would appreciate my friend but then Id have to come back and defend myself to some crybabies and that it was friendly vets ribbing.

    I was just talking with my other buddy about this yesterday. I hear somw people say their kids know not to touch guns and they trust them bla bla bla.
    Yep, my kids do too. But i know kids will be kids. All kids. As a parent, its my duty to not let there be any chance for an opportunity for their curiosity to intersect with a firearm. Unless I'm present.
    This is what my dad told me as a kid and ive said to mine "i had better never catch you touching (guns, powder, ect) without my permission or i will bust your ass. But if you ever have a question about it or want to see anything then come tell me and we will look at it together and safely anytime."
    Very well put, and you know I would get your jokes, Nd sling some back. That's why I get myself first. Haha

    I understand the concept of teaching the kids, and believe me, my 11 year old knows how to treat guns. That said, I still questions some of the choices I make on a daily basis. (My savings account vs. Safe and ammo will back me up in this) I absolutely do not trust a little child's choices.

  5. #35
    Grandmaster gregkl's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I grew up with my dad's Hi-Power sitting on the kitchen counter when I came downstairs in the morning. He carried due to his work and the location of his business. I never gave it any thought.

    When I got older, he used to periodically tell me to clean it. I unloaded it, cleaned it and loaded it back up.

    That was then though and this is now. I worked with my kids and they are good to go. But I don't trust my grand kids at 1.5 and 3 years old. I, along with their father will teach them firearms safety, but I still won't leave a loaded firearm in plain view unattended when they come to visit.

    I could not live with myself if something were to happen to them due to childish curiosity. I will teach them, but I will not take the chance that all the lessons stick, at least initially.
    Outlier

  6. #36
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    WOW -- very disappointing -- so disappointing that I've logged in for the first time in 5-6 years?? More??***
    ~~~~~~
    I'm the father of now-grown twin boys. VERY active twin boys.
    I'm also a firearms user who eschews external "saftey(s)" when I can -- I find them to be killers and entirely UNsafe.
    ~~~~~~
    There is a simple solution to the OP's issue: remove the chambered round.
    As a rule, nobody with strength sufficient to cycle a weapon will lack the maturity-that-comes-with-age to at least be aware of the weapon as a source of destruction.
    Simply removing the chambered round will give the parent a number of years to feel out where things are going with their child, without having their weapon locked up, completely unloaded, trigger-locked, high-up&across-the-room, etc etc.

    FWIW, by the time my kids were 7, they could load, shoot, and clear 3 different NATO-round weapons. AND recite Daddy's litany:
    "Is this weapon safe?" No.
    "How do you know that?" I don't.
    "Clear the weapon." {works to show empty chamber}

    Yes, there were a lot of rolling eyes goin' on -- but they're 25 now, and still alive.
    [ Also, BIG OL' "+1" to gregkl for the post right above. "Right on."]


    *** Wacky!!! Just looked it up: I last post here 10 years AND ONE DAY ago: August 13, 2009. Whack-a-doodle.
    Okay, so, see y'all in 2029, fergawdsakes.
    Last edited by indytoe; 08-14-2019 at 10:18.

  7. #37
    Grandmaster gregkl's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by indytoe View Post
    WOW -- very disappointing -- so disappointing that I've logged in for the first time in 5-6 years?? More??***
    ~~~~~~
    I'm the father of now-grown twin boys. VERY active twin boys.
    I'm also a firearms user who eschews external "saftey(s)" when I can -- I find them to be killers and entirely UNsafe.
    ~~~~~~
    There is a simple solution to the OP's issue: remove the chambered round.
    As a rule, nobody with strength sufficient to cycle a weapon will lack the maturity-that-comes-with-age to at least be aware of the weapon as a source of destruction.
    Simply removing the chambered round will give the parent a number of years to feel out where things are going with their child, without having their weapon locked up, completely unloaded, trigger-locked, high-up&across-the-room, etc etc.

    FWIW, by the time my kids were 7, they could load, shoot, and clear 3 different NATO-round weapons. AND recite Daddy's litany:
    "Is this weapon safe?" No.
    "How do you know that?" I don't.
    "Clear the weapon." {works to show empty chamber}

    Yes, there were a lot of rolling eyes goin' on -- but they're 25 now, and still alive.
    [ Also, BIG OL' "+1" to gregkl for the post right above. "Right on."]


    *** Wacky!!! Just looked it up: I last post here 10 years AND ONE DAY ago: August 13, 2009. Whack-a-doodle.
    Okay, so, see y'all in 2029, fergawdsakes.
    Welcome back! And see you about the time I retire!

    Also, I kinda like the idea of the unchambered pistol. I have always thought to have a round in the chamber, but if I have the cognitive ability to wake up enough to open a safe or go get it elsewhere in the room, I should have the wherewithal to rack a slide. I will consider this as an option.
    Last edited by gregkl; 08-14-2019 at 10:35.
    Outlier

  8. #38
    Grandmaster Sylvain's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    An interesting video on gun safes and false sense of security.

    A must watch if you don't know much about locks and are looking for a gun safe.
    Some can be opened by a toddler, others by a teenaged with a paper clip, others are pretty good.But they all look alike.

    A bit of language warning ...


  9. #39
    Grandmaster Expat's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by gregkl View Post
    I could not live with myself if something were to happen to them due to childish curiosity. I will teach them, but I will not take the chance that all the lessons stick, at least initially.
    I agree the risk is too high. When the grandkids are coming over here, I make a sweep and make sure everything is either locked up or in the top of the closet if I am not wearing it at the time.

  10. #40
    Master STEEL CORE's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Vigilant, years from now when the 3 year old innocently asks where she and other kids come from, can you tell her "Daddy's other shooter"?!?



Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Button Dodge