• ...and so much more!
  • inchrisin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Hey all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a holster for my S&W Shield. I have had it for over a year and I've had a belly band for jogging. It worked out well, but I'm looking to carry appendix. I'm 5' 9" 175 pounds. I have a good belt and I'd like to carry appendix or 3-4 o`clock. What's working for you all?

Last edited by a moderator:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    For appendix look no further than Henry Holsters.

For 4 o'clock or so I've grown very fond of my Crossbreed SuperTuck.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Hey all,

I'm looking for suggestions for a holster for my S&W Shield. I have had it for over a year and I've had a belly band for jogging. It worked out well, but I'm looking to carry appendix. I'm 5' 9" 175 pounds. I have a good belt and I'd like to carry appendix or 3-4 o`clock. What's working for you all?

If you are serious about street carry go American made quality leather. Just sayin.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I'm selling a ETW leather pancake to a guy tomorrow along with a Shield but I thought it was a decent holster. I also have a Wright Leather Works and a Tucker holster for other firearms and though the latter are better and I think they will ultimately last longer, the ETW is a solid choice.

There are so many choices it's mind boggling. I do like the leather pancakes that have the extra piece of leather across the opening.

Can't help with appendix.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I have my Shield in a DeSantis IWB holster that is very comfortable. Got it at a gunshop in Noblesville.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    IMHO.

Iwb appendix: dale fricke or stealthgear ventcore

iwb (general): king tuck, stelathgear Ventcore, mtac (all those varieties.- tuckable ccw iwb)

owb: dale fricke (kydex), simply rugged (leather)

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    IMHO.

Iwb appendix: dale fricke or stealthgear ventcore

iwb (general): king tuck, stelathgear Ventcore, mtac (all those varieties.- tuckable ccw iwb)

owb: dale fricke (kydex), simply rugged (leather)

Leather should be leather lined smooth against the gun with no sweat guards.most guards will bend over and cause problems at some point. Designers are not often the users. If you can not present and reholster with one hand without looking then you may want to rethink your equipment and training.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Leather should be leather lined smooth against the gun with no sweat guards.most guards will bend over and cause problems at some point. Designers are not often the users. If you can not present and reholster with one hand without looking then you may want to rethink your equipment and training.

i was giving options. Dale fricke is kydex only, and simply rugged is full coverage leather only. Both top notch. all listed have great builds the stealthgear Ventcore products are kydex with venting if you need that for heat and against body carry.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I like my pancake kydex holster with loops well enough. Mines a raven concealment but it’s also 6 or 7 years old. Raven doesn’t even make this type anymore.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Just wondering how one presents from an appendix holster when the threat is engaging in belly to belly hand to hand close contact fist fighting? Or are we to assume we will always be able to step back to present?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Just wondering how one presents from an appendix holster when the threat is engaging in belly to belly hand to hand close contact fist fighting? Or are we to assume we will always be able to step back to present?

That's a trade-off for carrying in front of your hips.

I just wonder how one presents from a behind the hip holster when you're on the ground and the threat is on top of you belly to belly and you're rolling around on the ground close contact fist fighting? Or are we going to assume that we'll always be able to roll off our strong side to reach back and draw?

Not picking on you specifically, TJ. Just pointing out that no one way / place of carrying is 100% ideal 100% of the time. They all have plusses and minuses / trade-offs.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    That's a trade-off for carrying in front of your hips.

I just wonder how one presents from a behind the hip holster when you're on the ground and the threat is on top of you belly to belly and you're rolling around on the ground close contact fist fighting? Or are we going to assume that we'll always be able to roll off our strong side to reach back and draw?

Not picking on you specifically, TJ. Just pointing out that no one way / place of carrying is 100% ideal 100% of the time. They all have plusses and minuses / trade-offs.

Thats fair. However Doesn’t AC mean two hands as there are no open front garments?

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Potentially, yes. An aggressive thumb-flagged draw from near the centerline isn't ideal.

Just like a one-handed draw from concealment isn't ideal of one carries behind the hip.

Lt Scott 14

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2018
    Porter County
    I use a Don Hume#721 leather with a super strong clip on. When I clip it over a belt, it says there. My carry is AIWB, over the front pocket, my Shield doesn't print and allows me to access my pocket for keys or change. No sweat guard, extreme well fitted. Cost was around $30. I also have a kydex no name IWB, no issues there either. Prefer Hume over Kydex though.
    Good luck.

Top Bottom