• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • harmonyaudio

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Anyone have a suggestion for an inexpesive holosight for under $175 for an AR rail? I have not bee looking for some time and not sure what is out there that is decent. Thanks all.

Shootin45super

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2019
    Bloomington
    Yal I have had great luck with my Sig Romeo5 also,cant beat the price if you shop around.
    Also the bushnell trs25 is a good one and can be found in the $50 range.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    Are you looking for a true holographic optic, or a red dot sight?

If you are looking for a true holographic, you are looking at EOTech or Vortex and a pretty hefty price tag.

Although the Holosun 510c is labelled holographic, my understanding is that it is really technically a red dot sight that uses an LED emitter, not a laser diode.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Are you looking for a true holographic optic, or a red dot sight?

If you are looking for a true holographic, you are looking at EOTech or Vortex and a pretty hefty price tag.

Although the Holosun 510c is labelled holographic, my understanding is that it is really technically a red dot sight that uses an LED emitter, not a laser diode.

Yep, a big pet peeve of mine. EOTech & Vortex are the ONLY true laser holographic sights in existence that I know of. All the others are lying if they say hologram / holographic. "Holo" by itself isn't a technology, just a marketing word to make you think it's like an EOTech.

pblanc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2014
    Evansville
    Just to hit on a few key differences between red dot sights and holographic sights:

Red dot (or green dot) sights use an LED emitter to bounce an image of a dot or reticle off of the angled front lens of the optic. The front lens is crucial to the function of the optic. This is a less expensive mechanism than that used in holographics and it allows for construction of a smaller, lighter optic with a typically much longer battery life.

If you use a red dot sight with a magnifier, the dot will be magnified. Now a 2 MOA dot will look like a 6 MOA dot if you have a 3X magnifier behind it. The dot will still actually be a 2 MOA dot simply because the image of everything else seen through the magnifier will also be three times larger. A 2 MOA dot will still cover 2 inches of target at 100 yards, since both the dot and the target now appear 3 times larger.

A holographic sight uses a laser diode and a series of mirrors to collimate and project an image of a dot/reticle that appears to be out in front of the optic. Unlike a red dot sight, it is possible to focus on both the target and the reticle simultaneously as the image of the reticle is projected out to optical infinity. The optic does not require the lens to function. The dot can be made smaller than with a red dot. Also unlike with a red dot sight, the dot size remains the same with a magnifier behind it. So if you have an EOTech with a 1 MOA dot at the center of the reticle, without magnification it will cover 1 inch of a target set at 100 yard range. But if you use a 3X magnifier, the dot now covers only 1/3" of the magnified target at 100 yard range.

The price you pay for the holographic is larger size, heavier weight, shorter battery life, and higher price. You will likely pay at least $400 for a true holographic.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Laser Holography & the required lab was by far my favorite college class. Setting up and using this equipment gives me a woody - air cushioned vibration isolation optics tables, mounts, mirrors, diffraction gratings, prisms, beam splitters, lenses, etc... This is the stuff you need to create the holographic film used inside of an EOTech & Vortex optic. Way more involved & expensive than a LED bouncing off a lens.

holography1.2.jpg

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Down vote for the holosun. The caveat being the 507c. It’s a piece of ****, bought it to offset the RMR cost. 300 rounds down range, the emitter quit, no problem, Holochina sent me a brand spanking new one, didn’t even want the original POS back. New one has almost 190 under it before it starts to flicker on and off? The original POS is on a .22 and works some of the time, and the new replacement has been returned for a refund. Aimpoint PRO if on a budget, holo sights, even EOTECH aren’t fixed yet.(I’ve got an EXPS3-0 that hasn’t quit, except for the battery, but...). ALL of my Aimpoints still work, some after 10 years and 2-3 battery changes, and my Trijicon RMRs all still work, after having sent back the first RMR for “dot flicker”. Just delay gratification a little more and buy quality. I’ve tried the also fans, and they’ve been found lacking.

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    I use an older tac vector it only cost $60 new I bought my second hand about 3-4 years ago and I have beat the crap out of it and it still work great it. long battery life.

Top Bottom