• ...and so much more!
  • dan45

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 25, 2019
    brownsburg
    I've got a BSA Catseye rifle scope that's a few years old that I mounted but never got around to using. Stored the rifle in my gun safe and decided to wipe off and re-oil. The whole scope body has become sticky, and if rubbed will even smear off black residue but not down to bare metal. I've never seen anything like it. I've tried cleaning with everything I can think of and nothing cuts through the stickiness. No problem with any of my other scopes. It's like the finish is degrading. Hate to toss it. Help!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've got a BSA Catseye rifle scope that's a few years old that I mounted but never got around to using. Stored the rifle in my gun safe and decided to wipe off and re-oil. The whole scope body has become sticky, and if rubbed will even smear off black residue but not down to bare metal. I've never seen anything like it. I've tried cleaning with everything I can think of and nothing cuts through the stickiness. No problem with any of my other scopes. It's like the finish is degrading. Hate to toss it. Help!

1.5-4.5x? If so you dont really have a real BSA Catseye. I had the same problem. When researching I discovered per the BSA website they never made one of those. Counterfeit. Still a good rimfire scope though.

I was able to wipe mine down with alcohol. Took a while but with some scrubbing and probably an entire tee shirt worth of rag, I got it cleaned up well enough.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Chemical decomposition. Same as the Browning Dura Touch stocks. They can get nasty

I'd call BSA and see if they'd warranty but before I'd take the time and energy of trying to get the stuff off of it

With the lenses covered I've always been curious what a light media blasting would do to that finish

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a BSA air rifle scope that is the same way. The scope has been fine, other than shedding goo on my grip hand thumb knuckle.

I have nothing that easily wipes the goo off.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Thanks, I'll sure give it a try.

You'll have better luck with 91% maybe even 99 if you can find it. (I have to get the latter online)

And wrapping it in alcohol soaked paper towels does help break it down and make it easier to scrub off. Dont be afraid to rub.

Last edited:

dan45

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 25, 2019
    brownsburg
    Mine is a 3-10x44. I tried rubbing alcohol but maybe I didn't give it a good workout with it. I"ll give it another try. Thanks

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mine is a 3-10x44. I tried rubbing alcohol but maybe I didn't give it a good workout with it. I"ll give it another try. Thanks
    get as strong as you can find. 70% wont cut it. and wrap the sucker, soak the wrap, and let it sit for 5 mins. then you'll need to scrub using a cloth. Imagine you are Hillary making the emails that will send her up the river go away. It takes some elbow grease and frequent changes of the rag.

Chalky

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 30, 2019
    Central IN
    get as strong as you can find. 70% wont cut it. and wrap the sucker, soak the wrap, and let it sit for 5 mins. then you'll need to scrub using a cloth. Imagine you are Hillary making the emails that will send her up the river go away. It takes some elbow grease and frequent changes of the rag.

Now that is funny, don't care who you are! Thanks for the chuckle!

dan45

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 25, 2019
    brownsburg
    Boy were you right. Tried your Magic Eraser and it worked. Thank you soooooo much. Took quite a bit of scrubbing but it took the stickiness off. Now i've got a scope I can use again. Thanks again.

Top Bottom