• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    Working in heavy industry we have a lot of focus on hearing protection. The only time I’ve ever heard anyone being recommended custom earplugs is if they have some sort of ear deformation or anomaly. I don’t think the dB reduction would change very much. It may be worse. A cheap pair of Howard Leight max disposable plugs should get you a 33dB reduction which I think is the highest available. If that still bothers your ears but a set of muffs over them. They reductions isn’t additive but it will increase some.

Ive personally work the plastic (not custom molded) plugs and I despise them. Get the foam ones rolled properly they are hardly noticeable.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I went to my E.N.T. and had custom plugs made. They were pricey, but they are fantastic. Comfortable, washable, and I can wear them for a week straight on the range in comfort. A very good purchase and investment in my hearing.

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    Just curious, what’s the dB reduction in the custom plugs? I’d def be interested in anything that can reduce noise levels further.

drm-hp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I do not know what the reduction # is.
    All I know is that shooting and being on the range for a week at a time, I am in no discomfort, from fit or noise.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Some things you can cheap on, but I’ll tell you that having spent the money on electronic hearing protection, I can’t imagine going back. You can wear them all day as they are comfortable. I wore them hunting to enhance my hearing and then I didn’t have the ring after shooting. I absolutely love them and could never do effective training without them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I had a set of the custom fit made and they were both effective and comfortable at first. What I found was that removing and reinserting them numerous times during a day would begin to irritate my ear canals so I stopped using them. I’ve got two pair of MSA Sordin electronic hearing pro and they’re fantastic. If they don’t provide enough protection (shooting AR15 rifles under a range baffle) I pair them with disposable plugs and turn the Sordins up and I can still hear people talking to me yet maintain the protection for my hearing.

Cable

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    I bought a pair of these for testing at an indoor range and they work nicely. Worth it if you're trying to get away from electronic earmuffs.

Peltor makes a tactical version but these industrial versions work just fine on the range. Look around this coming black friday / cyber monday for good deals on them.

3M™ PELTOR™ EEP-100 Electronic Earplug Kit

volksjager

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    I’ve used my Jabra Elite 65t at the range before. It has a sound pass through feature and it did a pretty good job. Unless you have bad cauliflower ear it should work.

Top Bottom