Join INGunOwners For Free
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Buying Hearing Protection

I just saw a product that I really want from this website. They offer Do it At Home Impression Kit for Making Custom Earplugs but I'm not sure what to do. I have a very busy schedule and I don't know how I can meet with their service provider during work hours. Anyone here tried to do this? If you guys have any recommendations I think that would work too.

Thanks!

Plinker

User Info Menu

Working in heavy industry we have a lot of focus on hearing protection. The only time Iíve ever heard anyone being recommended custom earplugs is if they have some sort of ear deformation or anomaly. I donít think the dB reduction would change very much. It may be worse. A cheap pair of Howard Leight max disposable plugs should get you a 33dB reduction which I think is the highest available. If that still bothers your ears but a set of muffs over them. They reductions isnít additive but it will increase some.

Ive personally work the plastic (not custom molded) plugs and I despise them. Get the foam ones rolled properly they are hardly noticeable.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I went to my E.N.T. and had custom plugs made. They were pricey, but they are fantastic. Comfortable, washable, and I can wear them for a week straight on the range in comfort. A very good purchase and investment in my hearing.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Just curious, whatís the dB reduction in the custom plugs? Iíd def be interested in anything that can reduce noise levels further.

Plinker

User Info Menu

I do not know what the reduction # is.
    All I know is that shooting and being on the range for a week at a time, I am in no discomfort, from fit or noise.

User Info Menu

Some things you can cheap on, but Iíll tell you that having spent the money on electronic hearing protection, I canít imagine going back. You can wear them all day as they are comfortable. I wore them hunting to enhance my hearing and then I didnít have the ring after shooting. I absolutely love them and could never do effective training without them.

User Info Menu

I had a set of the custom fit made and they were both effective and comfortable at first. What I found was that removing and reinserting them numerous times during a day would begin to irritate my ear canals so I stopped using them. Iíve got two pair of MSA Sordin electronic hearing pro and theyíre fantastic. If they donít provide enough protection (shooting AR15 rifles under a range baffle) I pair them with disposable plugs and turn the Sordins up and I can still hear people talking to me yet maintain the protection for my hearing.
    There's lots of ________ on here who don't fit your particular stereotype, smearing us with goofball sophistry is what is out of line. It just makes gunowners look like *******s.

- CarmelHP

User Info Menu

I bought a pair of these for testing at an indoor range and they work nicely. Worth it if you're trying to get away from electronic earmuffs.

Peltor makes a tactical version but these industrial versions work just fine on the range. Look around this coming black friday / cyber monday for good deals on them.

3Mô PELTORô EEP-100 Electronic Earplug Kit
    ďThe man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.Ē - M.Twain

User Info Menu

Iíve used my Jabra Elite 65t at the range before. It has a sound pass through feature and it did a pretty good job. Unless you have bad cauliflower ear it should work.