• ...and so much more!
  • IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    RTG has what looks like a contract overrun on polymer AC-Unity mags. Allegedly these are mil-spec/current mil-issue mags from Bosnia and Herzegovina. 30- and 40-rounders, window and non-window, and 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 mags are all in stock. They also have a speed loader.

https://www.robertrtg.com/store/pc/AC-Unity-b116.htm

Note the metal locking lugs and BHO followers. Classic has AC-Unity mags for sale as well but they are all plastic.

Recoil TV did a nice feature on these, and Rob Ski is also testing them out. YMMV but early reports are these are GTG military polymer mags at Tapco prices. If they're close at all in quality to ((10)) mags this is a great deal.

acu-02_1583_general.jpg

acu-02_g_1535_general.jpg

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've been running them for a few weeks and just finished up a long video shoot with them this week and we were impressed enough to buy several more.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I've been running them for a few weeks and just finished up a long video shoot with them this week and we were impressed enough to buy several more.

Looking forward to watching that. I picked up a bunch but haven't had a chance to use them yet. They at least lock up nicely in the guns I tested. Some reports over on the AK Files along with some pics/vids of cracks from drop tests have me less excited about reliability, but still ... for the low price they'll at least make fine range mags.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Looking forward to watching that. I picked up a bunch but haven't had a chance to use them yet. They at least lock up nicely in the guns I tested. Some reports over on the AK Files along with some pics/vids of cracks from drop tests have me less excited about reliability, but still ... for the low price they'll at least make fine range mags.
    They have metal locking points front and rear but the lips are like Magpul, polymer with no reinforcement. Expectations of these are range mags for me, not combat mags. If I need an AK to fight off the Zombie hordes, I'll use steel mags which have proven to be the most durable mags which is why so many nations use/used them.

These are nice range mags that under normal circumstances seem to be doing quite well. Only time will tell. If I load them to capacity and drop them on concrete feed lips down, yeah I would expect to brake them.

I can take a Magpul AK mag (polymer first gen) and snap them right off by putting it in the rifle and dropping it on a picnic table. The metal ones take more force, but they can be broken. The point being that polymer mags aren't go to war mags.

Sometimes folks set high expectations for things. I will be sure to properly set expectations in video, but if they break with regular use that won't be acceptable. We have around 15 of them now so we have a good sample set.

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    MAC, I agree with just about everything you said. My only irk with these AC-Unity mags (and yes, I realize I was the OP here who hawked the link) is the description used by RTG and others ... specifically:

"Made of an advanced, German made polymer-resin/granulate that is light weight and extremely shock resistant."

and

"Not just military grade; but current military issue."

That was pretty heaping praise for a new "mil-spec" sub-$10 AK mag. I realize not all militaries are exactly playing on a level field, but I'd be pretty upset if I was being shot at and my mag broke after dropping it at knee level in the heat of battle.

These will no doubt make fine range mags, and I'm legitimately thrilled to have a new cheap (and hopefully reliable) 5.45 mag option. I trust my ((10)) mags with my life, and I guess I was kinda optimistic these might hold up just as well, given all the hype marketing and descriptions. So, I'll save my Bulgarians for that scenario and beat on these in the meantime at the range. Again, looking forward to your report!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Sorry for the necropost, but I was just coming to see if anyone had tried these. I've seen them advertised by RTG, and now I'm seeing them for VZ-58's. Decent price at $14.99 each. I've got plenty of steel VZ-58 mags but wondered how these performed.

Top Bottom