• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I’ve got a relatively simple piece of nylon gear that I need to have made. Just wondering if we have any members here to do that sort of thing?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Professionally? no. But I do like to sew, repair, make camping and tactical gear. If you just need a prototype or something for purely functional purposes I'd be happy to look at it.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    There was an officer on here that I bought a Beretta off of that did handmade leather holsters that had a commercial sewing machine. Can't remember his user name (I'm a grandpa so figures).

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    There was an officer on here that I bought a Beretta off of that did handmade leather holsters that had a commercial sewing machine. Can't remember his user name (I'm a grandpa so figures).
    That reminds me of another possible contact. I THINK (if I remember correctly) member Blackhawk2001 has an industrial sewing machine. He helped me with tough fabric repairs when I did the backpack group buy back in 2012.

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    Check with dirt bears rifle gear. They’re on Facebook. Out of Plymouth I believe. Not sure if he does custom work but he might.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Check with dirt bears rifle gear. They’re on Facebook. Out of Plymouth I believe. Not sure if he does custom work but he might.

I have a bunch of his stuff, but he disappeared about eighteen months ago off Facebook and doesn't seem to be making anything anymore. Last time I was over at his place he said his job was picking up and he was working crazy long hours, so I can only guess that he just abandoned the sewing gig.

I've actually been looking for someone else to work with on gear since he isn't doing it anymore.

Jzim

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Valpo
    Dang I never got a chance to pick one of his packs up. They seemed like some pretty quality gear.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    For lack of a better term I’ll call what I’m after a rescue strap. The design is still in the works but the basic principle behind it is to provide a few handles across my back that someone could hold on to as I guide them out of a building should there be a power outage, fire, etc.. Nothing too exciting this time around.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Nylon and polyester webbing is generally easy to sew. The trick is having a machine with a presser foot that has enough clearance to fit multiple layers of thick material under it and to be able to handle heavier threads.

Shoe repair shops have machines that will handle this task with ease as will anyone that machine sews holsters, sheaths, etc.

I have a couple of machines that should work well. Since the gear you have in mind is not life support you should be able to find someone to do the work without much trouble. While I have made life support items for myself I would never do it for anyone else.

If you would like to send me a sketch with a few details, I'd be happy to give it some thought. PM me for my email.

Last edited:

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    That reminds me of another possible contact. I THINK (if I remember correctly) member Blackhawk2001 has an industrial sewing machine. He helped me with tough fabric repairs when I did the backpack group buy back in 2012.

Matt Murray....don't know what his INGO name was, or even if he had one

Seconded for both Blackhawk2001 and Matt with Urban ERT. Both are great guys and will help if needed.

I have a machine and have been working on getting it up and running, I just keep running out of time and money. Once I am, I plan on making belts and IFAK pocket pouches, to start.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom