• Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    :dunno:

I'm guessing that the moral of this story is that we should all be carrying in real leather?

only if you want secure retention, quiet manipulation, great cohesion, something that wears in not out or will breaK and is unique and looks great too. But that’s just me.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Name of product:
    Blackhawk T-Series L2C gun holsters

Hazard:
    The holster design can change the position of the safety switch on the firearm without the user knowing it. When this occurs, if the trigger is pulled the gun could fire unexpectedly, posing an injury hazard to the user and bystander.
    :runaway:

This recall involves the Blackhawk T-Series black gun holster L2C made of molded plastic material. The black holster is designed to be used with Sig Sauer P320/P250 civilian firearms that clip onto the user’s belt. “2101213 A” is printed on the outside of the recalled gun holsters.
    Um...

If it ain't a 1911, then why does your EDC have a safety switch turned on?

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    only if you want secure retention, quiet manipulation, great cohesion, something that wears in not out or will breaK and is unique and looks great too. But that’s just me.

:scratch:

I love my leather holster but it's certainly not unique. Even if it's custom made, that doesn't fit the proper definition of unique.

You're certainly not alone in loving leather*, but hard plastic is proven to be an effective material for holsters.

* Printcraft will be alone shortly with photos.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I’ve seen leather wear out and get floppy and dangerous? Sorry Elmer that dog don’t hunt.

maybe some cheap Portugal crap posing as leather but I’ll have you know TTimmy that none of mine have failed ever in over 50 years on some of them but I am all the time repairing plastic holsters failing on the line. One to the extent that we had to use a zip tie to secure the holster so she could finish the match. Now of course this is only relevant to how much one does actually shoot in a year and what value one places on his own life. Maybe the money saved over professional leather is worth it to some.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    maybe some cheap Portugal crap posing as leather but I’ll have you know TTimmy that none of mine have failed ever in over 50 years on some of them but I am all the time repairing plastic holsters failing on the line. One to the extent that we had to use a zip tie to secure the holster so she could finish the match. Now of course this is only relevant to how much one does actually shoot in a year and what value one places on his own life. Maybe the money saved over professional leather is worth it to some.

One would tend to believe that would be unsafe and she would have been disqualified.

Edit,
    Leather holsters are Failsafe.
    Plastic holsters are dangerous, Holding a plastic holster together during a pistol match with a tye-rap is safe.
    Got it. :yesway:

Last edited:

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville

I've had leather fail more than once. I've carried, and shot a lot, for over 45 years. I've had to carry 1911A1 in govt issued leather holsters. Hot wet environments trashed them pretty fast. Before, leather was great but now there are better options, for me, out there. I use RDS and plastic now. A quick PM of screws etc., just like a quick PM on a leather holster, will stop 98% of issues.

Bob

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    If you buy a cheap holster of any material you’re going to have a bad time. That being said I hate leather holsters. Hard to clean, friction retention, thick and bulky most of the time.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I've had leather fail more than once. I've carried, and shot a lot, for over 45 years. I've had to carry 1911A1 in govt issued leather holsters. Hot wet environments trashed them pretty fast. Before, leather was great but now there are better options, for me, out there. I use RDS and plastic now. A quick PM of screws etc., just like a quick PM on a leather holster, will stop 98% of issues.

Bob

Bob, I’m glad you found something that works good for you. If it works stay with it, however, just like I am not convinced that smaller bullets are better than bigger ones Plastic does not meet my carry standards. I know there is alot of data by degreed peeps way smarter than me on these issues but experience keeps me from drinking the kool aid. I know that my Kydex scabbard holsters especially holding a polymer gun will not pass my force tests. How many try this before they trust their life to them? I have no problem with the freedom for us to believe what is best for us individually but until it can be proven to me otherwise on the street I carry deep with leather. Again, for the shooting sports, tractor gun, training modules, loaning equipment etc... I am glad to have Kydex.

thank you for sharing.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Bob, I’m glad you found something that works good for you. If it works stay with it, however, just like I am not convinced that smaller bullets are better than bigger ones Plastic does not meet my carry standards. I know there is alot of data by degreed peeps way smarter than me on these issues but experience keeps me from drinking the kool aid. I know that my Kydex scabbard holsters especially holding a polymer gun will not pass my force tests. How many try this before they trust their life to them? I have no problem with the freedom for us to believe what is best for us individually but until it can be proven to me otherwise on the street I carry deep with leather. Again, for the shooting sports, tractor gun, training modules, loaning equipment etc... I am glad to have Kydex...

(Ah, so...anytime you're going to actually get the gun out and shoot it...)

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    You're certainly not alone in loving leather*, but hard plastic is proven to be an effective material for holsters.

* Printcraft will be alone shortly with photos.

Someone please lock this thread before we get photos of Printcraft loving in leather.
    :puke:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Plusses and minuses to both leather and quality thermoplastics like kydex and boltaron.

I, personally, like quality thermoplastics. Although I do have a nice leather backer on my 1 hybrid holster (full 2-piece boltaron holster fitted to the leather, as it should be, not something with leather as the back of the holster)

There's a reason that leather holsters are getting harder and harder to come by - and it ain't looks.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Plusses and minuses to both leather and quality thermoplastics like kydex and boltaron.

I, personally, like quality thermoplastics. Although I do have a nice leather backer on my 1 hybrid holster (full 2-piece boltaron holster fitted to the leather, as it should be, not something with leather as the back of the holster)

There's a reason that leather holsters are getting harder and harder to come by - and it ain't looks.

JM4 Relic is a nice hybrid too

Top Bottom