Ditching my Serpa for something new, but what?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Glock 19 with a Silencer Co barrel. Barrel sicks out about 3/8" or maybe just a little more. I'm also a lefty which doesn't seem to be a big selection limiter anymore. I'll start with reasons I liked the Serpa. I wore it with the paddle which made it easy on, easy off. It was also very comfortable. I also really like the L2 or active retention it offered. And as far as an OWB holster, it was pretty concealable.

I really want something with active retention. I ride a motorcycle a lot and dropping my piece while I'm rolling down the highway is the last thing I want to happen. I'm not real big on the idea of an IWB holster, mainly because I think my pants are tight enough around the waist already. But not ruling them out completely. Not a fan of thumb break straps either. I have one for my 1911 and I think they just make reholstering more of a chore than it needs to be. If you have a suggestion of something I should check out on top of this list, I'm open to suggestions.

So far, I've found these (in no significant order), anyone with personal experience with these care to provide a review? :

1) Sarfariland 578 GLS - Seems like a really good design, but some YT reviews say the GLS system really isn't as easy and intuitive to use. This holster also fits multiple guns. Never a fan of one size fits most products. OWB only.

2) Safariland 7378 ALS - Also a good design. The direct paddle mount looks low profile enough, but there's also the quick lock option with makes it look like it stands off quite a bit. Might be good for a training class, but not sure if it sways me either way. But there's value in versitility. Also OWB only.

3) Aliengear ShapeShift - Their new offering. End looks closed so I would have to modify for my barrel. IWB configuration looks pretty clean, and it's modular as well. But if you want to wear it belt or paddle, it looks bulky. It also has a surface mount that looks trick, but I'd be concerned that it would be a weak link. It's also just passive retention. Gun fit looks pretty precise.

4) Crossbreed Supertuck - I've heard people say they get hot on your skin if you have an untucked shirt over it. Again a passive retention holster and IWB only.

5) Vedder ComfortTuck - Honestly, looks like a Crossbreed clone.

6) Galgo M4X - Active retention, but fit and finish seems very sloppy for a company like Galco. I have their Miami shoulder rig and I like it a lot. But looking at the retention design, I'd want to coonfinger one before I purchased one.

7) Urbancarry lockleather - Interesting approach. Open top leather with internal kydex passive retention. Doesn't have a paddle option though.

8) Versacarry compound - Another hybrid holster and it looks pretty good too.

If I had to choose right now, it'd be the 7378 ALS. I haven't really seen a bad review and it's reasonably priced. And since I have the shoulder rig and an Incog IWB holster for appendix carry, having an OWB only holster as my primary isn't a deal breaker.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have the Safariland. It's a rock solid rig and I recommend it highly.

It's super comfortable with the paddle, and the retention release is intuitive and simple, allowing for a quick draw. But it is bulky. It definitely keeps the holster and gun away from your body. But you're not going to find a better value for the price IMHO. Certainly worth it if you ever want to open carry.

Dave mentioned Raven Concealment. I don't know what retention options they have, but I have a Raven OWB kydex holster that really holds the gun very high and tight to the body, but there's no active retention. It's my go-to for CC. It's very low profile, but not a paddle. They have different belt loop options and you can get optional "wings" that move the belt clips from the underside of the holster to the outside, making for an even slimmer profile.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Huh. I just went back to my Serpa today. I missed it.
    And I might decide to stay with mine. As far as I see it, it has 2 problems. #1 is that it won't disengage if you're pulling on the gun before you push the release. I think if I were to bevel the pin slightly, it might not solve the problem, but it might reduce it. The top is beveled enough you don't have to push the button while holstering, so the concept is sound. This is the problem where people are shooting themselves in the leg by hooking their finger to press harder. If you train with this holster and can be disciplined enough to keep your finger straight until sights are on target, you don't have this problem. But unless you train under stress, who knows. I'm curious what happens to the ALS and GLS if you're pulling first, then try to release. I think most people trying to draw fast just miss it, pull, find it's still locked, then panic it didn't go well. #2 is the contamination. The only people who have this problem are those in training situations where they go rolling in the dirt. Is it a real problem if you're fighting for your life? Maybe. So, why not get some closed cell foam and use it to fill the voids around and behind the lever. It would easily keep any debris from finding it's way back and still allow sufficient movement.

After all the bad press, I'm surprised Blackhawk hasn't addressed #2 at least. Regardless if I was successful with both modifications, the reputation of the holster is already damaged and there's no training classes that will allow it anymore.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    And I might decide to stay with mine. As far as I see it, it has 2 problems. #1 is that it won't disengage if you're pulling on the gun before you push the release. I think if I were to bevel the pin slightly, it might not solve the problem, but it might reduce it. The top is beveled enough you don't have to push the button while holstering, so the concept is sound. This is the problem where people are shooting themselves in the leg by hooking their finger to press harder. If you train with this holster and be disciplined enough to keep your finger straight until sights are on target, you don't have this problem. But unless you train under stress, who knows. I'm curious what happens to the ALS and GLS if you're pulling first, then try to release. I think most people trying to draw fast just miss it, pull, find it's still locked, then panic it didn't go well. #2 is the contamination. The only people who have this problem are those in training situations where they go rolling in the dirt. Is it a real problem if you're fighting for your life? Maybe. So, why not get some closed cell foam and use it to fill the voids around and behind the lever. It would easily keep any debris from finding it's way back and still allow sufficient movement.

After all the bad press, I'm surprised Blackhawk hasn't addressed #2 at least. Regardless if I was successful with both modifications, the reputation of the holster is already damaged and there's no training classes that will allow it anymore.

I have not used mine in some time. But when I put it back into play yesterday and tested myself it was still second nature. I have trained for a long time to lay my trigger finger along the slide until the gun comes to target. In doing this it is (trigger finger) on the release tab when I put my hand on the pistol. It is perfect for me. But, as you say if you do not train in its use the problem may come to the fore. But in any system used to not train with it is ridiculous. No arguments can be made to the contrary.

Contamination. Just my humble opinion here but how often or ever do any of us roll around in the dirt with a side arm holstered. I just do not see it.
    A soldier possibly. But what are the real odds in this. It would be very interesting to see some.

I have a Safari retention holster for a 1911. It just is not as easy to use and it is not instinctive for me. I have tried. Way to bulky on top of that.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I have not used mine in some time. But when I put it back into play yesterday and tested myself it was still second nature. I have trained for a long time to lay my trigger finger along the slide until the gun comes to target. In doing this it is (trigger finger) on the release tab when I put my hand on the pistol. It is perfect for me. But, as you say if you do not train in its use the problem may come to the fore. But in any system used to not train with it is ridiculous. No arguments can be made to the contrary.

Contamination. Just my humble opinion here but how often or ever do any of us roll around in the dirt with a side arm holstered. I just do not see it.
    A soldier possibly. But what are the real odds in this. It would be very interesting to see some.

I have a Safari retention holster for a 1911. It just is not as easy to use and it is not instinctive for me. I have tried. Way to bulky on top of that.

right on. Whatever you use...become one with it.

as far a contamination.moot.. that’s what equipment checks and maintenance is for as anything and everything needs your attention.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Most of the stories I hear are in relation to some training scenario. Trying to think of a real-world situation that a typical civilian might me in is hard. About the best I can come up with is that you get knocked down in a parking lot and fall and maybe slide on your holster. Some small stone gets forced into the works and your firearm is now locked in the holster and game over. Odds of that happening? Probably slim to none, but the possibility is proven. I think the mechanics under stress issue is far more real.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just my humble opinion here but how often or ever do any of us roll around in the dirt with a side arm holstered. I just do not see it.

Low odds, but not impossible odds. Snow and ice can get packed up in behind it as well. People do get knocked down, drug out of cars, etc.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    ^^^ to me it's the same mindset of having a cheap pistol that's know to have failures. We won't accept that, so why would we accept a holster that has known faults?

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Still doing research. Picked up the ALS used from a member here for cheap. Should be here in a couple days. I emailed Aliengear about my concerns with their system being closed and my extended barrel, but their robot replied that my rail wouldn't be a problem (sigh). But, I stumbled across a pretty solid Youtube review (https://youtu.be/Am-ARmeryeA) that shows the configurations and highlights of the system. One thing I saw here that I didn't see anywhere else was that when you have it in the full configuration it does have L2 retention with a thumb release. The downside being that the paddle config stands off the body a bit.

sellersdw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    I keep going back to my Serpa as well. Modified the paddle hook so it goes on and off easier. Also picked up the Velcro back plate for one so I can mount the Serpa in a bag. Feel like most of the ND I see are more technique/skill vs hardware related.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Been carrying the ALS for a couple days. Draw is super easy. The only thing I don't like about it is the paddle is molded to wear just behind 3 o'clock. When I'm in a car, I like rotating it forward so I can get to it. Not really easy to rock up on the opposite hip with a seatbelt on. When you rotate this forward, the front edge of the paddle applies pressure. Short tips aren't bad, but I'm wondering how'd it feel after a couple hours. It's not as clunky as I was expecting. I would say it wears/conceals very similar to the serpa. I've actually seen one review that has someone mount the paddle from the serpa onto this holster. I might try that.

As far as retention holsters jamming up, I think the serpa was just more susceptible. One of the features of the ALS is a how it contacts the pistol. It's supposed to let debris fall through and out the bottom. I think that they did a good job in that respect. I've not had a ton of time with this holster just now developed a full understanding of how it works. The locking half of the lever holds onto the ejection port. When you release it, that half of the lever moves forward and away. When it's moving away from the gun, it's moving toward the shell of the holster. So as churchmouse points out, what happens when some debris work it's way between the lever and the shell? I'm not sure how susceptible this holster is to something like that.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Been carrying the ALS for a couple days. Draw is super easy. The only thing I don't like about it is the paddle is molded to wear just behind 3 o'clock. When I'm in a car, I like rotating it forward so I can get to it. Not really easy to rock up on the opposite hip with a seatbelt on. When you rotate this forward, the front edge of the paddle applies pressure. Short tips aren't bad, but I'm wondering how'd it feel after a couple hours. It's not as clunky as I was expecting. I would say it wears/conceals very similar to the serpa. I've actually seen one review that has someone mount the paddle from the serpa onto this holster. I might try that.

As far as retention holsters jamming up, I think the serpa was just more susceptible. One of the features of the ALS is a how it contacts the pistol. It's supposed to let debris fall through and out the bottom. I think that they did a good job in that respect. I've not had a ton of time with this holster just now developed a full understanding of how it works. The locking half of the lever holds onto the ejection port. When you release it, that half of the lever moves forward and away. When it's moving away from the gun, it's moving toward the shell of the holster. So as churchmouse points out, what happens when some debris work it's way between the lever and the shell? I'm not sure how susceptible this holster is to something like that.

I have re-visited my ALS just to verify what I believed was issue with me using it.
    The rig is big. Very hard to conceal if that is your thing. It is easier to cover up with a sweatshirt in this weather using the Serpa.

The release is just not second nature for me. It requires more movement to address pulling the sidearm from the ALS. Not a deal breaker it is just not part of drawing for me. I am sure with time that could be overcome but it adds steps over the Serpa.

The ALS is a lot taller and rides higher. I have to contort more to remove my 1911 from the ALS and it is not comfortable. Again slows things up for me. This part can not be trained around. Damaged my shoulder a few times in this life. It has limits now.

If the ALS is for you then by all means use it.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

I think Safariland makes a "mini paddle" you can attach that doesn't have the hip mold, and is smaller.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Why not get a serpa for a g17. Same holster but a bit longer if the barrel sticking out bothers you. Maybe a 17L? Why not mod current one with kydex?

I love serpa holsters. When needing a bit more concealment or comfort in a vehicle or working around a Sticky holster can't be beat.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I like the ALS system. Used Crossbreed for a long time but for IWB, have switched to Comptac

Top Bottom