• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    So I have always mounted my own scopes and sighted my rifles in with just 3 rounds. One time I bought a new rifle and scope from. LGS. He claimed it was bore sighted and I could take it directly To Elk Camp. Well of course at the range is was wayyyy off. Now I know that there are BSL (bore sight lovers) who will want to defend this tool and it’s use to the bitter end rather than just learn how to sight in with 3 rounds. What say INGO, Fundamentals or fancy erector set light beams.?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I do both, or a version at least. I zero almost everything at 100yds. Boresighting will get on on an 8.5"x11" piece of paper with the first found. Then I shoot 5 rounds, if the size of the group is acceptable I'll make scope adjustments and shoot another 5 to confirm.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I do both, or a version at least. I zero almost everything at 100yds. Boresighting will get on on an 8.5"x11" piece of paper with the first found. Then I shoot 5 rounds, if the size of the group is acceptable I'll make scope adjustments and shoot another 5 to confirm.

^^^^^THIS!^^^^^

Ive mounted scopes that at 100 yards would have been off the paper if I didnt start with the laser. They are not an end all, but a way to guarantee you are starting on the paper at least.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Not sure where some are getting their training but we have seen first hand how shooters start out at 100 and create unsafe rounds leaving the range because of their mal adjustments. FWI worth, I use the Sweet Spot (SAAMI) Factory round for the caliber and make my adjustments with 2 rounds at 15 yards and put the third usually within an inch of the paster at 100 yrds. I admit sometimes I need a 4th rd if I over adjust. Not sure if this will work with sub standard scopes and mounts as I only use Leupold.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    This is my method.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I spent 14yrs as a LE firearms instructor, 12yrs as a sniper and 10 years as a consistent sniper instructor for the state LE academy (I still get invited but don't have the time). It is possible to hit paper at 15yds and still have a round leave the range depending on where the shooter is positioned. A static firing line and 15yd target on a 100yd range leaves more room for a bullet to leave than a previously bore sighted 100yd shot. I’ve never missed an 8.5x11 sheet at 100yds after bore sighting. I’m typically within 3moa of the point of aim.

I predominantly use Seekins rings and at the moment I have two US Optics scopes, three Nightforce scopes with a fourth on order and a Trijicon 1-8. I used to use Leupold but that was back when they announced that canted reticles were acceptable. Two or three degrees of cant in a reticle can spell big issues at distance. They’ve since made a lot of changes and their quality has certainly improved but I can’t get past the past so I’ve moved on.

Shooting at 15yds then 100yds seems inefficient when I can accomplish the same task all at 100. The only time I might start closer would be if I were shooting a M1A or M1 which won't allow me to bore sight. I won't use anything short of a five round group for zeroing or determining the potential of a rifle/ammo combo.

Last edited:

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I’m glad you have put your time and effort in to shooting. As you should know as an instructor, you are not the masses that are on the range. Otherwise we would not see skid marks in the fairways or bullet holes in hospital walls miles away. Also, most ranges advise that targets are against the backstop and no one should be a shooting a target at only 15 yrds into the bay. Nightforce makes some good stuff but none of my scopes have crooked reticles or do they end upwitn pieces of Filament in the bottom of the tube. So until all Shooters are efficient with long irons then I support my method.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I’m glad you have put your time and effort in to shooting. As you should know as an instructor, you are not the masses that are on the range. Otherwise we would not see skid marks in the fairways or bullet holes in hospital walls miles away. Also, most ranges advise that targets are against the backstop and no one should be a shooting a target at only 15 yrds into the bay. Nightforce makes some good stuff but none of my scopes have crooked reticles or do they end upwitn pieces of Filament in the bottom of the tube. So until all Shooters are efficient with long irons then I support my method.
    CHRIST ON A CRUTCH, can you at least dial down your holier than though rhetoric? If you want to help someone , fine, help them. As long as you espouse the better than you attitude, you’ll always be an old grumpy man. Let’s compare two way range results? You’re probably a better target shooter than most, what about the two way range? Since 2001 more than 1 MILLION young men and women have participated in the two way range, are you better than ALL of them?

Last edited by a moderator:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    CHRIST ON A CRUTCH, can you at least dial down your holier than though rhetoric? If you want to help someone , fine, help them. As long as you espouse the better than you attitude, you’ll always be an old grumpy man. Let’s compare two way range results? You’re probably a better target shooter than most, what about the two way range? Since 2001 more than 1 MILLION young men and women have participated in the two way range, are you better than ALL of them?

:):...……..:nono:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

You're obviously free to do whatever you'd like. You questioned training/experience/gear and I simply provided mine. I find your technique inefficient and a waste of time and ammo but that makes no difference.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    You're obviously free to do whatever you'd like. You questioned training/experience/gear and I simply provided mine. I find your technique inefficient and a waste of time and ammo but that makes no difference.
    You have to be old to understand. They did it better back then?

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    There are adjectives other than "old" which are more appropriate.

FWIW the sensitive avatars trolling around on this forum simply do not have to read my posts. Perhaps I know you or maybe I don't but in either case I consider the source and frankly I just don't care. I am entitled to my opinions it will take a little more than you to convince me otherwise. Open your mind a little or do not open my posts. We both win that way.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    FWIW the sensitive avatars trolling around on this forum simply do not have to read my posts. Perhaps I know you or maybe I don't but in either case I consider the source and frankly I just don't care. I am entitled to my opinions it will take a little more than you to convince me otherwise. Open your mind a little or do not open my posts. We both win that way.
    Hahahahahaha, he said open mind! Hahahahahaha!

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    So I have always mounted my own scopes and sighted my rifles in with just 3 rounds. One time I bought a new rifle and scope from. LGS. He claimed it was bore sighted and I could take it directly To Elk Camp. Well of course at the range is was wayyyy off. Now I know that there are BSL (bore sight lovers) who will want to defend this tool and it’s use to the bitter end rather than just learn how to sight in with 3 rounds. What say INGO, Fundamentals or fancy erector set light beams.?

Are you on paper without bore sighting the scope? Do you have someone adjusting the scope after the first shot so you can hold the rifle still, or do you clamp it in a jig?

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis

This sounds like sound advice. I had problems with flyers when sighting in a scope. I should have checked for consistent ammo first.

Top Bottom