• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    So this Christmas I received a what i thought was a really cool present from the wife. Its a Bighorn which is a subsidiary of Rhino Metals, its not as nice as say the Longhorn model Nightstand Safe but this was a gift and I am super happy about it. Fire rated for 40 minutes, and it fits all of my handguns inside it with no issues (Dont have many rifles). As far as securing the firearms go this is about perfect considering we are just in an apartment currently (when we get a house I plan on getting a Johnson Safe). Just figured it was a neat idea and wanted to share.

Have a happy holidays everyone!

I really like the roll out drawer as well makes storing random stuff easy

You can easily fit 6 or 7 handguns in here easily with room for keepsakes and such on the top shelf

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I saw one of these recently in Top Guns when I was in Terre Haute visiting my daughter at school. I didn't check them out in depth, but remember thinking they looked pretty cool.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It looks really good and tough.Looks like a safe from the 1920's, back when they used thick steel and bolts and exterior
    hinges.

closet-slob-the-safe-from-1920-locked-1.jpg

Is it easy to access the keypad and the wheel handle thingy? Looks like it might be a bit low to the ground compared to a larger safe.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Where did you get that one, I can only find their Longhorn for $700+, ain’t tryin to get a divorce so soon after Christmas?

The Wife says Costco and $300 roughly

Edit: not listed on Costco's website but the Carmel one should have one or two left. My understanding is this was a special run for Costco with some corner cutting . It lacks the leather interior of the $700 one and I believe the lock is improved as well

Last edited:

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    It looks really good and tough.Looks like a safe from the 1920's, back when they used thick steel and bolts and exterior
    hinges.

Is it easy to access the keypad and the wheel handle thingy? Looks like it might be a bit low to the ground compared to a larger safe.

I think be keypad is easy to get to and the wheel is as well, basically just sit in front of the safe and grab what you need and go. But then again I didn't really want a quick access safe since it's just the wife and I so I can leave my HD handgun out without worrying.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana
    What would be really cool and practical is to have the top drawer lock and be opened with biometric finger print reader on top of the safe for quick access.

p.s. very cool safe none the less and btw you will be happy with the Johnson safe, I love mine and already have outgrown it!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    What would be really cool and practical is to have the top drawer lock and be opened with biometric finger print reader on top of the safe for quick access.

p.s. very cool safe none the less and btw you will be happy with the Johnson safe, I love mine and already have outgrown it!
    Oh sure, EVERYBODY says they love their Johnson, but each and everyone of them have been caught abusing it!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The Wife says Costco and $300 roughly

Edit: not listed on Costco's website but the Carmel one should have one or two left. My understanding is this was a special run for Costco with some corner cutting . It lacks the leather interior of the $700 one and I believe the lock is improved as well

I just saw these in the Costco in Greenwood over the weekend as well.

Top Bottom