Join INGunOwners For Free
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Updating S&W M&P10 .308

Recently brought home a very lightly used M&P10 .308 with 18" barrel and M4 style handguard. Looking to turn this into an outdoor range plinker that I'll use mostly from shorter distances (100-300 yards) and occasionally out to 500 yards. Am intrigued by the cylindrical look of the 15" free float handguard from Apex Machining. Anybody have experience with their product? And finally the dreaded optic question.....given the use and $500-$600 budget, any thoughts or recommendations? My first venture into magnified optics so I'm starting from scratch.

User Info Menu

Personally, I'm not a fan of fat handguards. There's a nice handguard in the classifieds...

As for scope, ask Alan.

Snowman's Blocker aka Bandit mcapo's Avatar

User Info Menu

I put a Troy Alpha on mine.

As to optics, give Alan at AAoptics your budget and goals. he will set you up.

Don't blame me....it is Turbo's fault.

I'm not a fan of anyone that wipes their butt with someone else's sleeve. - bcannon

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcapo View Post

Do you have any issues getting a good stock weld on this setup? Your ring base looks super high to me, and that's something I've always struggled with in the AR platform with these one piece mounts.

User Info Menu

Updating S&W M&P10 .308

Quote Originally Posted by Banbuddy View Post
    Do you have any issues getting a good stock weld on this setup? Your ring base looks super high to me, and that's something I've always struggled with in the AR platform with these one piece mounts.
    My shoulder to eye height is probably above average. As an example, most shotguns donít fit well without an adjustable buttstock.

The angle of the pic seems to exacerbates the bell to rail distance as it is less than .6Ē. More than ideal but it works.

I'm not a fan of anyone that wipes their butt with someone else's sleeve. - bcannon

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mcapo View Post

Hadn't considered Troy but that's the basic look I was going for. Really nice looking rifle you have.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by AdventureTeamJoe View Post
    Hadn't considered Troy but that's the basic look I was going for. Really nice looking rifle you have.
    Thanks! It is a spectacular shooter. Hornady Match Ammo and it'll shoot sub moa until the barrel heats up.