• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I’m looking for an inexpensive scope to put on my son’s Savage Rascal. I found an M1Surplus on Amazon that comes with base and rings and it’s made for the Rascal. Does anyone have any experience with this one or are there any others that you have used? Wanting it to be as short and light as possible and don’t want to go with a red dot. A fixed 3x or 4x would be perfect.

Hopefully we can get through this without any “make them use irons” comments. I’ve done that and he’s getting better but loses interest quickly. I want to get him to enjoy shooting and learn gun handling and safety.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Personally, I'd be looking to use a 1-piece scope base like this from EGW ... [FONT=&quot]https://www.egwguns.com/scope-mounts-rings-egw-savage-rascal-picatinny-rail-scope-mount
    [/FONT]
    What scope your put on top is a conversation I'd have with Alan Alcorn (AA Optics ... (765)580-0986).

Regardless of what scope you finally install, you will likely need to build up the comb on the rifle to get any sort of cheek weld. Pipe insulation and vet wrap is super easy to install and remove. Let your son pick out his favorite color/pattern of vet wrap, and let him do the wrapping ... he won't ever want to get rid of the rifle after he's "modified" it.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    A red dot could be good. The only thing I worry about there is that my wife and I both have astigmatism. I’m not sure if he does or not but he does already wear glasses.

I would normally talk to Alan about vortex offerings but I don’t think they offer anything as small as I’m looking for, unless we do go the red dot route.

thanks for the replies so far! I like the wrap idea as well.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    A red dot could be good. The only thing I worry about there is that my wife and I both have astigmatism. I’m not sure if he does or not but he does already wear glasses.

I would normally talk to Alan about vortex offerings but I don’t think they offer anything as small as I’m looking for, unless we do go the red dot route.

thanks for the replies so far! I like the wrap idea as well.

Then a prism sight might be the ticket.

Another note. Just because you have an astigmatism, doesn't mean you can use a dot well. I have a 3 MOA dot on my AR. It's a little stary/fuzzy, but doesn't hamper the majority of shots I take. (When it could, I pop up the rear aperture sight and it's goes away)

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    If you want a fixed scope, I can recommend the Hawke Vantage 4x. It’s what I use on my 22 rifle. Simple scope, clear glass, adjustable objective.

On a 22, I cannot overstate how nice it is to have an adjustable objective instead of whatever fixed distance the manufacturer picked.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Size will not effect performance at all, but these are the smallest scopes Vortex makes if it fits your bill.

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-diamondback-1-75-5x32-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=978

https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-crossfire-ii-1-4x24-riflescope.html?vortex_reticle=990

If it were me I would still go with this even though it is a touch larger.

https://aaoptics.com/CROSSFIRE-II-2-7X32-RIMFIRE-V-PLEX-RIFLESCOPE_p_64.html

I will get a shipment of the 2-7 refurbished in a week or so that would save you about 40 bucks.

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    The 2-7 might work well. I love the one on my 10/22. He would probably think it’s cool to have a scope like mine.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I put a red dot on my son's Rascal. I didn't want to have to explain eye relief to a 3 year old and try to set up a magnified optic that didn't work for him. He likes it, but now that he's seven he wants something magazine fed.

i-DnfX9pp-X2.jpg

JStang314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 8, 2011
    I appreciate the picture. I’m really leaning red dot now as well. Might grab a refurb sparc II from Alan.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    I put an old Bushnell 1.75-4x that I had laying around on my grandson's Rascal after limiting him to irons for the first 2 years. Talley medium rings on the OEM Savage Rascal base left just enough room to leave the rear sight in place, but the cheek weld would probably be better with low rings.

It's really hard to talk to an 8 year old about optics... :):

Top Bottom