Considering an attempt at some “long” range shooting.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford
    I have owned a few different milsurp guns that I bought years ago when the ammo seemed cheaper to shoot. An Enfield in .303, 8mm Mauser, Mosin Nagant, AK, I’ve built an AR in .223 Wilde, and another in 300 blackout. But so far I’ve only shot them out to 100 yards or so.

I’ve been kicking around the idea of some longer range shooting probably 4-600 yards. I have some family and friends that have land where I could stretch out maybe a little bit further.

I’ve found that I have a bit of a soft spot for bolt guns. So I thought maybe I would try something “modern”. I’ve been looking and comparing the 6.5 Creedmoor and the .308. As of right now my budget would be $1100 or so all in, for rifle and glass.

I already have a decent rangefinder, and a budget spotting scope.
    I’d be using store bought ammo to start out with for sure. I don’t have any intentions on reloading at this time. I used to help dad some years ago on an ancient single stage rock chucker and although it always got the job done, theres no desire at this time.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    There is a pretty nice variety of rifles for sale in the INGO classifieds right now. For glass there is AA Optics.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    In fact, Im doing a new release of refurb's today, and you will be able to get a PST 5-25 FFP for under 700 bucks, PST 6-24x50 FFP for 500ish, or Diamondback tactical 6-24 FFP for 300 or so. You will have to be ready to act quick on some of these, others will stay in stock for a couple weeks.

As far as caliber, either will do what your asking with no issue. 6.5 will do it a little better.

J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford
    Last edited:

J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford
    In fact, Im doing a new release of refurb's today, and you will be able to get a PST 5-25 FFP for under 700 bucks, PST 6-24x50 FFP for 500ish, or Diamondback tactical 6-24 FFP for 300 or so. You will have to be ready to act quick on some of these, others will stay in stock for a couple weeks.

As far as caliber, either will do what your asking with no issue. 6.5 will do it a little better.

Let me get the rifle purchased first then I’ll see what budget allows. Thanks for listing some prices, that helps me get more of an idea.
    Ive been to the AA site before but can’t remember numbers for nothin.

J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Out to 500 yards I dont think there is going to be much difference between the 6.5 Creedmore and the 308 Winchester. After 500 I believe you will see a bigger difference every 100 yards after that though. I went with a 308 Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 because I'm already invested in 308. If I was starting out I'd definitely go with the 6.5 Creedmore.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    the barrel is nothing fancy. Don’t even remember what brand it is, lol.
    It’s a lightweight 18” 1:8 twist. I think it might have 30-40 rounds thru it, 10 of which were mine.

Before you buy a rifle, go buy some Black Hills 77 Grain match, and see what it will do for accuracy.

Do you know what the biggest factors are in being a successful long range shooter?

Ammo and time.

If you have a workable rifle, you should use it, and spend the money on good ammo instead. That is, unless you are more looking for a reason to get a new rifle.

-Nate

J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford
    Out to 500 yards I dont think there is going to be much difference between the 6.5 Creedmore and the 308 Winchester. After 500 I believe you will see a bigger difference every 100 yards after that though. I went with a 308 Ruger Precision Rifle in 308 because I'm already invested in 308. If I was starting out I'd definitely go with the 6.5 Creedmore.

That’s kinda what I’ve been reading, and thinking. I currently don’t have any .308 but have threatened to eventually purchase or build an AR10... Ruger has a lot of appeal I’m not quite to the point of spending “precision” money just yet, lol.

J10on4ds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 23, 2011
    Bedford
    Before you buy a rifle, go buy some Black Hills 77 Grain match, and see what it will do for accuracy.

Do you know what the biggest factors are in being a successful long range shooter?

Ammo and time.

If you have a workable rifle, you should use it, and spend the money on good ammo instead. That is, unless you are more looking for a reason to get a new rifle.

-Nate
    Thanks Nate, that is a good point. The cost of a new rifle would buy ALOT of ammo.
    Trying not to get my hopes up and say I’ll ever be a “successful” long range shooter. Same as I’m not sure I’ll ever “need” a reason to buy another rifle, lol.
    I’m in no real rush either way as the weather has been meh for a while...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Roger that. I’ll be the first to tell you that an AR-15, in any cartridge it can handle, will never be competitive at true “Long Range” of 800-1,000 yards.

That said, at 5-600 yards, they are still close enough to hell on wheels to be very competitive.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Kinda sorta...
    So far I’m leaning towards a 6.5 ruger in the american rifle series. The go wild edition ticks an awful lot of boxes for me.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleGoWild/specSheets/26925.html

As far as glass I’m not sure but AA optics seems to be the one I’ll end up buying from.

Yea that rifle would suit you well im sure. The pst 5-25 FFP would be and excellent optic. Ive had the razor 5-20 FFP for about 5 years, and its a great scope.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Roger that. I’ll be the first to tell you that an AR-15, in any cartridge it can handle, will never be competitive at true “Long Range” of 800-1,000 yards.

That said, at 5-600 yards, they are still close enough to hell on wheels to be very competitive.

A service rifle won the 2019 Indiana midrange state championship (300, 500, 600 yards) last September with a 597-27X, lumped in with the bolt guns and higher horsepower calibers. The guy driving it was as surprised as anyone :cool:

usmcdjb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    118   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Wabash County
    To be clear, I'm no expert long range shooter. I'm a mediocre anything shooter at best. But have a couple thoughts for you.

Keep in mind good rings and bases are gonna eat into your budget a little. Might consider a level too, to keep the cant factor out of things.

You might check out this deal on a scope. Theres a 29% rebate right now if you buy by 3/15 I think. Make sure and check that out before taking my word. But this scope gets good reviews, has a lot of bells and whistles, and comes in about $312 shipped and taxed after rebate.

http://https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1020052981?pid=532931

Top Bottom