Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Plinker

User Info Menu

Considering an attempt at some ďlongĒ range shooting.

I have owned a few different milsurp guns that I bought years ago when the ammo seemed cheaper to shoot. An Enfield in .303, 8mm Mauser, Mosin Nagant, AK, Iíve built an AR in .223 Wilde, and another in 300 blackout. But so far Iíve only shot them out to 100 yards or so.

Iíve been kicking around the idea of some longer range shooting probably 4-600 yards. I have some family and friends that have land where I could stretch out maybe a little bit further.

Iíve found that I have a bit of a soft spot for bolt guns. So I thought maybe I would try something ďmodernĒ. Iíve been looking and comparing the 6.5 Creedmoor and the .308. As of right now my budget would be $1100 or so all in, for rifle and glass.

I already have a decent rangefinder, and a budget spotting scope.
    Iíd be using store bought ammo to start out with for sure. I donít have any intentions on reloading at this time. I used to help dad some years ago on an ancient single stage rock chucker and although it always got the job done, theres no desire at this time.

User Info Menu

Are you looking for firearm and scope recommendations for under $1100?

Midnight Rider

User Info Menu

There is a pretty nice variety of rifles for sale in the INGO classifieds right now. For glass there is AA Optics.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Done, done, and Iím on to the next one...
    -----------------------------------------------

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

You need to read this thread, then hook up with this group ... they'll set you straight on what to do and what not to do for long range rifles

https://www.ingunowners.com/forums/l...ry-cihprs.html

Expert

User Info Menu

The Wylde .223 might work.

What are the specs on the barrel?
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

Expert

User Info Menu

President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

User Info Menu

In fact, Im doing a new release of refurb's today, and you will be able to get a PST 5-25 FFP for under 700 bucks, PST 6-24x50 FFP for 500ish, or Diamondback tactical 6-24 FFP for 300 or so. You will have to be ready to act quick on some of these, others will stay in stock for a couple weeks.

As far as caliber, either will do what your asking with no issue. 6.5 will do it a little better.
    "You don't have to spend a fortune to play the game, but you do have to spend your money wisely"

owner/ operator of www.aaoptics.com

full line vortex dealer

contact me at alan@aaoptics.com

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdog697 View Post
    Are you looking for firearm and scope recommendations for under $1100?
    Kinda sorta...
    So far Iím leaning towards a 6.5 ruger in the american rifle series. The go wild edition ticks an awful lot of boxes for me.

https://ruger.com/products/americanR...ets/26925.html

As far as glass Iím not sure but AA optics seems to be the one Iíll end up buying from.
    Last edited by J10on4ds; 4 Weeks Ago at 23:54. Reason: Adding a link to the gun

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bwframe View Post
    There is a pretty nice variety of rifles for sale in the INGO classifieds right now. For glass there is AA Optics.
    Iíve been keeping an eye open on here for sure.

Plinker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by natdscott View Post

the barrel is nothing fancy. Donít even remember what brand it is, lol.
    Itís a lightweight 18Ē 1:8 twist. I think it might have 30-40 rounds thru it, 10 of which were mine.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast