• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NICKT93

Plinker
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    MORGAN CO
    Wanting some guidence on the RMR , never shot any rifle or pistol with one on it. Only experience with a a optic on a pistol has been a Vortex, which I did enjoy the ease of it. As some of you have probably seen there is a Type one RMR 6.5 MOA listed on here, for those that have it would you recommend that MOA? I have a 10.5 pistol 5.56 and want to keep to lightweight but also thinking of putting it on my Glock 19.
    Thoughts Advice ?????
    Love seeing pics as well.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    First off...I am a BIG fan of RMRs. I personally think they are the best pistol red dot on the market. So...IMHO you are on the right track.

I like the RMR06 for my pistols. I find the 3.25MOA dot to be more than visible enough for pistol use. I also like that one on rifles as the smaller dot allows for a bit more precision than the larger dots.

That all being said, I am putting a Trijicon SRO on my new carry optics pistol. Since I mostly shoot steel matches and USPSA, I opted for the 5.0 MOA dot because a felt the 2.5 might be a little too small for action pistol shooting.

My $0.02

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I need glasses for decent target shooting anymore, but I don't wear them 24/7. So I opted for the 6.5 MOA dot for my handgun use.

It's still plenty accurate for handgun distances, and it's much quicker for me to pick up if I'm not wearing my glasses.

If your eyesight is pretty good, then the 3.25 would be my recommendation.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    I need glasses for decent target shooting anymore, but I don't wear them 24/7. So I opted for the 6.5 MOA dot for my handgun use.

It's still plenty accurate for handgun distances, and it's much quicker for me to pick up if I'm not wearing my glasses.

If your eyesight is pretty good, then the 3.25 would be my recommendation.
    Pretty much my situation. With or without corrective lenses, I can pick up the 6.5 MOA and it's not a burst effect I get sometimes with the smaller dot.

I consistently float between high 80's and mid 90's on a 25 yard B8 with the 6.5 dot.

Friend of mine rolls his eyes at my decision because all the cool kids are rocking 1 MOA dots now. I jumped off that hamster wheel some time ago. 6.5 MOA "works for me".

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Jumping on just to see how this progresses. I am considering a red dot for my pistol. Looking at the RMR and the Holosun 407C. Leaning towards the Holosun for financial reasons plus I could always change to the RMR later since they share the same footprint.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I'm very new to this pistol red dot thing. My pistols have 6MOA Vipers on them for the present. I had the Vipers from using them on PCC's for USPSA and steel challenge. For fast shooting the 6MOA is much faster for me to pick up. 3MOA is fine if precision at distance is your game and you have the time and younger eyes to acquire the dot efficiently.

I spoke with a seasoned Grand Master USPSA open shooter a couple years ago who was considering going to a 12MOA dot on this open gun. Fast acquisition for older eyes.

I'll likely ultimately end up going to RMR for carry. I'm waiting to wring out my Vipers though, as I already have them and don't know for sure that the red dot pistol thing will be for me? So far so good with dry fire, range time on the way...

Glad to see the gent with the used RMR in the classifieds is coming down in price. I have read that we really should be shopping for a Gen 2 though?

Aaron at Sage Dynamics (long time pistol RDS instructor) carries/shoots the 6.5MOA RMR, as of a couple years ago...

[video=youtube;FBE8h1vDitI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBE8h1vDitI[/video]

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I believe Aaron Cowan is using the 1moa RMR now.

A larger dot covers more target at distance, which to me is a downside. Shooting with a red dot on a pistol increases my accuracy at further distances, but not so much with a huge dot that obscures the target. My pistol red dots are 2moa just like my rifle red dots. I use Holosun for pistols and Sig Romeo5 for rifles. In regards to picking up a bigger dot faster, many consider that to be a training issue more so than a dot size issue.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I will go with either a 2 or 3 moa depending on which brand I buy. My venom on my .22 is a 3 I believe and it's fine for me. If I dial up the brightness, it appears bigger anyway. Plus my slight astigmatism makes the dot bigger.

But I'll still check out all the sizes when I get to a store to look through them.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Are you looking for more a plinking optic? Defensive? How good are your eyes?

I have several RMRs with various dots/shapes/colors and a 2.5 MOA SRO

The only reticle I think it too large on the RMR is the 12 MOA triangle. It's great for a sub gun, close range, chest size blasting reticle but don't think it's designed for more than that. I have a friend though that has the same reticle and uses it on a 22 pistol for target shooting, putting what he's aiming at right at the very tip of the triangle.

The 2.5 MOA SRO is the smallest reticle I have between all the optics, and it's a fine dot (close to the same size as my T2 but the SRO seems finer). I don't have much time behind the optic but it is a fine dot and if your eyes aren't great, you may have issues seeing something that small (the 5 MOA SRO is a great size and was a hard choice not to go the route instead of the 2.5)

For a brief time I had a 3.25 MOA RMR on a FNX Tactical and liked it, until the blowback with a can was too much and you couldn't see anything through the optic after 50-60 rounds. That being said all my RMRs and the SRO are on rifles and subgenus/"large" pistols right now

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    According to Cedartop, in this other thread, dots may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. So I guess YMMV.

I started running the PCC with a Vortex Razor 3 MOA dot. I could find it all the time just fine, but in the bright sunlight I struggled to sort out dot from surroundings quickly. The 6 MOA solved that for me. Of course, this was shooting USPSA where speed is as important as accuracy.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thought I'd wake up this thread since it was a good one.

I have decided I'm going to go the red dot route on my M&P 2.0 Compact. I talked to Allen and he said that I will lose the rear sight by cutting the slide to install the optic. There is a way to add a dovetail and put Glock sights on it but it gets expensive.

The only argument I have heard about having irons still available is in the case of a loss of power on the red dot. I'm not really worried about that.

Am I overlooking something?

I know there are a few other places that will do the cuts so I can retain a rear sight behind the optic but I'd like to keep my money local...and with Allen.

Thoughts?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Thought I'd wake up this thread since it was a good one.

I have decided I'm going to go the red dot route on my M&P 2.0 Compact. I talked to Allen and he said that I will lose the rear sight by cutting the slide to install the optic. There is a way to add a dovetail and put Glock sights on it but it gets expensive.

The only argument I have heard about having irons still available is in the case of a loss of power on the red dot. I'm not really worried about that.

Am I overlooking something?

I know there are a few other places that will do the cuts so I can retain a rear sight behind the optic but I'd like to keep my money local...and with Allen.

Thoughts?
    Not familiar with the M&P setup, as I run Glock 19’s RMR’d, but giving up the rear sight for me would be a no go? Aaron Cowan runs his forward, he has reasons. I adopted the RMR several years back, when Suarez was pushing it, and I’ve stuck with that, simply because it was cut and there. Some discount Gabe, and his history, but there is proof that he was doing this long before it became popular. His setup, and methodology is, and has been proven. The RMR IS THE ONLY Combat Proven RDS on the market today. Use that for what you will, again, not sure about the RMR/M&P interface?

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Not familiar with the M&P setup, as I run Glock 19’s RMR’d, but giving up the rear sight for me would be a no go? Aaron Cowan runs his forward, he has reasons. I adopted the RMR several years back, when Suarez was pushing it, and I’ve stuck with that, simply because it was cut and there. Some discount Gabe, and his history, but there is proof that he was doing this long before it became popular. His setup, and methodology is, and has been proven. The RMR IS THE ONLY Combat Proven RDS on the market today. Use that for what you will, again, not sure about the RMR/M&P interface?

Proof from who, and popular with who? Kelly Mccann was running dots on handguns a couple decades ago, and SOCOM units have been running them for over 10-12 years. At best, Gabe can claim to have been the first to put irons on an optic'ed gun.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Proof from who, and popular with who? Kelly Mccann was running dots on handguns a couple decades ago, and SOCOM units have been running them for over 10-12 years. At best, Gabe can claim to have been the first to put irons on an optic'ed gun.
    You are correct with Kelly McCaan/Jim Grover, and secret squirrels using them, but mainstream, Gabe was putting stuff out long before it “caught on” with the CCW/Duty crowd. I’m not here defending him, but I learned of it from him, LONG before Glock had the MOS, and there were much of ANY companies milling for a red dot. As I said, folks have a deal with Gabe, his past, AND his methodology. I’m not arguing that. But what one cant say, is he wasn’t in the forefront of making pistol RDS more mainstream. As an aside, I’ve trained with him, and did find it to be quality training. That said, I also know several of his former instructors, and we agree, he went profit over, well, pretty much anything.

Last edited:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Vigilant, it appears it is not as simple on the M&P as the Glock. I thought about chucking my M&P's and switching over to Glocks, but I want to make sure that using a red dot will make me enjoy shooting more before I start all that up.

Since it's more involved than I thought to mill a slide, I'm going to use a dovetail mount like the one I have on my Ruger MKII to try it first. If I don't like the red dot, I'm out $50 and can return the pistol to factory sights. If I do like the red dot, I'll get the slide milled and still be out $50. Or possibly I could sell the mount to someone like me that wants to wade in before jumping and only cost me $25 or so.

Plus, this will be a good way to see if I miss having a rear sight. I certainly don't on my .22.

Thanks to those of you that provided some good advice!

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Vigilant, it appears it is not as simple on the M&P as the Glock. I thought about chucking my M&P's and switching over to Glocks, but I want to make sure that using a red dot will make me enjoy shooting more before I start all that up.

Since it's more involved than I thought to mill a slide, I'm going to use a dovetail mount like the one I have on my Ruger MKII to try it first. If I don't like the red dot, I'm out $50 and can return the pistol to factory sights. If I do like the red dot, I'll get the slide milled and still be out $50. Or possibly I could sell the mount to someone like me that wants to wade in before jumping and only cost me $25 or so.

Plus, this will be a good way to see if I miss having a rear sight. I certainly don't on my .22.

Thanks to those of you that provided some good advice!

My buddy had his cut by L&M Precision, and loves it. ATEi (who cut my Glock) also does M&Ps.

I've used both the Dueck Defense and Raven Balor mounts, and was impressed by neither, as anything but a proof-of-concept solution to figure out if an optic is for you. They don't give a very accurate idea, though, because the optic ends up sitting much higher than on a milled slide.

Top Bottom