Safe for long guns. New or used? Recommendations?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I am looking to purchase my first “real” safe. Probably 10 to 15 long guns and some handguns. I am not sure if I should think used or bite the bullet and go new. Probably would buy new from Sams or Rural King. Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Controversially... I'm going to say the exact opposite from above.

Anyone with a $15 angle grinder can get into a safe. I consider mine to be a heavy locker that keeps kids, vandals, and meth tweakers out. Anyone who is serious is going to get in. I'd propose spending more money on overall security than the safe itself (cameras, ADT, etc, whatever).

Fire protection is a factor I admit I'd like to have more of from my safe, but... They're insured. That's another place where I feel the money is well spent.

So, FWIW, if you don't have a safe at all right now, I'd say go out and buy the first one that you can afford as quickly as possible.

So... That's two opposite opinions, helping nothing. You're welcome. :): :rolleyes:

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I went with a less expensive safe. I think I paid right at $1000 for mine. My security is in layers so that's why I don't spend $3k+ on a safe. I have a monitored alarm system with cameras. And stickers on windows that state such. Plus, I have $50k coverage through Eastern thats costs me $150 a year. It covers absolutely everything including reloading stuff, optics, ammo, and NFA stuff. I will say this, if you can fit all your stuff in 24 gun safe now, then buy a safe at least twice that size

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Whatever makes you feel the best. I agree with the gents that are well insured, and less of a huge investment in the one big metal box.

If your house burns to the ground, there is a likelihood that the fire safe was not enough to save the contents.

Another negative for one big expensive box is that if somehow word gets out that you have one (social media, kids, contractors, service people, etc.) then you are a target for your big box of goodies.

Doesn't matter how secure that box is if a gun is put to your or your loved one's head, you will open it.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    If your house burns to the ground, there is a likelihood that the fire safe was not enough to save the contents.

FWIW, I have some "fire resistant" document envelopes for some of the things I keep in mine. Then I put those inside of of a few other fire resistant bags, all that goes inside of a very small "water proof" fire safe inside of the bigger safe.

This is probably all wishful thinking, but those are some of the places I'd consider spending money that isn't exactly on a gun safe itself. I consider fire to be my actual worst enemy, then water, then petty vandalism, then actual robbery/theft.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That a good plan. Still it's like other plans, not foolproof.

Nothing is "fool proof", but in my opinion, dogs are the least predictable, and the best bang-for-your-buck.
    Most people don't want to mess with an unknown dog, or three.
    Tea-cup or pocket-pet "dogs" don't count.

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Hard to cut. Impossible to drag out. Hard to pry open. Add a motion ball sensor (garage door) and door sensor and it's monitored. Easy peasy.

To add sensors, which were free, the alarm bill is $5 less a month, with 3 year renewal.

Last edited:

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Yes, the dreaded poison. Reminded me to stock up on antidote. It's getting hard to keep up.
    Eekx0fo.jpg

Sigblitz

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 25, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Another layer of security. A list of serial numbers in a seperate place. Any stolen gun run or pawned will have someone attached to it.

Top Bottom