• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Recently purchased a Shield RMSc. I've heard the lenses scratch easily. When I viewed Sheild's video on how to clean, they recommend using the solvent M.E.K. The problem is, that solvent is widely banned here in the U.S. and I can't seem to find any. Anyone know of a substitute or do you have any advice?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    To avoid complete annihilation of the polymer lens, I am pretty sure you can only clean the Shield RMS and RMSc with fairy farts.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    This is what we use now to clean digital camera sensors (pretty touchy and expensive parts) since M.E.K. went away.. I have also used it on many different types of optics.

Of course you may wish to contact the manufacture to confirm that no harm will be done.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OPB0AB4/ref=psdc_3346331_t1_B004WBR8C6

Ron

Thanks for the info. I've got an inquiry into them, if they get back to me I'll ask them about this. Do you use it on polymer parts?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I would have to assume it is safe on polymer parts as that is what most of the DSLR cameras are made of.

Thanks. It's been really frustrating. I emailed Shield, they don't answer. Tried to call - they're in the UK - can't get through. Posted on other forums, no answers. I'm going to bite the bullet and try what you recommended. Hate to do it without the manufacturer's blessing, but I'm out of roads to go down.
    Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom