• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I came across this site: 11 Best Red Dot Sights Last Updated: February 20, 2020 by Aiden Williams

https://www.shootingandsafety.com/best-red-dot-sight-reviews/

I've little experience with red dots.
    I have the Bushnell TRS-25 on my SW 41 & love it.
    I had a Sightmark on a SW Victory that a former INGO owner had used in steel shooting (said it was an inexpensive one).
    It was fine for my use: really improved my accuracy (I can't see much beyond 30' anyway).
    I didn't want to get another Bushnell for variety.
    I just wanted to pick a basic one up just for plinking.

1. (Out of Stock) VORTEX OPTICS SPARC II RED DOT SIGHT
    OUR TOP PICK
    Best Overall
    MATERIAL: Aircraft grade aluminum
    TYPE: Prism/tube
    RETICLE: Red, 2 MOA, adjustable brightness
    WEIGHT: 6.4 oz

2. ($49) DAGGER DEFENSE DDHB RED DOT REFLEX SIGHT
    Best Budget Option
    MATERIAL: Aircraft grade aluminum
    TYPE: Reflex
    RETICLE: Red and green, 1-4 MOA
    WEIGHT: 10.26 oz

3. ($99) SIGHTMARK ULTRA SHOT MULTI RED & GREEN PLUS REFLEX SIGHT
    MATERIAL: Cast aluminum alloy
    RETICLE: Red, 3 and 5 MOA, 4 patterns
    WEIGHT: 12.6 oz

4. ($40) OZARK ARMAMENT RHINO RED DOT SIGHT
    MATERIAL: Aluminum
    TYPE: Prism
    RETICLE: Red and green, 4 MOA, adjustable brightness
    WEIGHT: 19.04 oz

5. ($621) TRIJICON RMR 6.5 MOA ADJUSTABLE LED RED DOT SIGHT
    Best High End
    MATERIAL: Aircraft aluminum alloy
    RETICLE: Red, 3.25 MOA
    WEIGHT: 1.2 oz

6. ($100) BUSHNELL TROPHY TRS-25 RED DOT SIGHT RIFLESCOPE
    TYPE: Enclosed Reflex
    RETICLE: Red, 3 MOA Dot, adjustable brightness
    WEIGHT: 4.0 oz

7. ($220) BURRIS FASTFIRE III WITH PICATINNY MOUNT
    RETICLES: 3 and 8 MOA options, auto brightness
    WEIGHT: 4 oz.

8. ($36) UTG 3.8" ITA RED/GREEN CIRCLE DOT SIGHT
    TYPE: Tube
    RETICLES: Red and green, 4 MOA
    WEIGHT: 12.8 oz

9. ($30) FIELDSPORT MICRO RED DOT SIGHT
    MATERIAL: Aircraft aluminum
    TYPE: Tube reflex
    RETICLES: Red, 4 MOA
    WEIGHT: 6.4 oz

10. ($163) SIG SAUER SOR52001 ROMEO5 2 MOA RED DOT SIGHT
    TYPE: Enclosed reflex
    RETICLES: Red, 2 MOA, motion activated
    WEIGHT: 12.2 oz

11. ($148) SIGHTMARK ULTRA DUAL SHOT PRO SPEC NIGHT VISION
    RETICLE: Red, 3 and 5 MOA, 4 patterns, adjustable brightness
    WEIGHT: 2.4 oz

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Have several of the TRS25s and they have performed flawlessly. Have them on a 9mm and 45carbine as well as on 223 & 450 Bushmaster platforms.
    Also have the Romeo 5 and its held up to my 450 bushmaster pistol well so far. I like the shake awake feature, but it is very sensitive

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    What a joke of an article.

With very very very few excpetions, you get what you pay for with red dot sights.

Sightmark, UTG, Fieldsport, Ozark, and Dagger Defense are utter trash. Save them for low quality guns "that don't matter".

The Burris Fast Fire series is quite good. Same with the Vortex offerings.

Trijicon is the 1000lb Gorilla in the club.

Also add Meprolite (not nearly as popular here), Aimpoint (The other 1000lb gorilla), and EoTech

The Sig and Holosun offerings are also quite good. Take a Sig or a Holosun over ANY Sightmark, UTG, Fieldsport, Ozark, or Dagger trash.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0

With very very very few excpetions, you get what you pay for with red dot sights.

Sightmark, UTG, Fieldsport, Ozark, and Dagger Defense are utter trash. Save them for low quality guns "that don't matter".

Spot on TF

Also add Meprolite (not nearly as popular here), Aimpoint (The other 1000lb gorilla), and EoTech

The Sig and Holosun offerings are also quite good. Take a Sig or a Holosun over ANY Sightmark, UTG, Fieldsport, Ozark, or Dagger trash.

Spot on

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    "What Do We do?

Apart from sipping beer and posting crudely funny jokes, we pride ourselves on our immense gun knowledge. Our main goal is to cater to all the noobs, amateurs, gun owners and hunting enthusiasts, and help them become as gun-savvy and cool as we are!"

Mucho tickles

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a Primary Arms 30mm that took .35 rem on a Contender without a prob.
    Think they rebranded Holosun.

Have had TRS25. No probs.

Like the shake and wake, and 2 moa of the Sig Romeo 5, but micros for me are rifle optics and placed closer to the eye.
    I dislike the small stuff out farther.

My next reddot will be an Aimpoint PRO.
    If I go reflex, Burris FF (or higher up).

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Have several of the TRS25s and they have performed flawlessly. Have them on a 9mm and 45carbine as well as on 223 & 450 Bushmaster platforms.
    Also have the Romeo 5 and its held up to my 450 bushmaster pistol well so far. I like the shake awake feature, but it is very sensitive

I am quite fortunate to have stumbled onto the Bushnell TRS-25 awhile back; I recognized the name.

Exactly what I have been told previously.
    The #6 Bushnell had been good to me, though.

I wonder why more of the ones you listed aren't on the list?
    Maybe they were just listing one's they thought were best at the certain price points: $50, $100, $150, $200, $600ish?
    Makes me think I should just stick with the Bushnell TRS-25.

Was this in an Airsoft Magazine?

Only thing I know was the site address: https://www.shootingandsafety.com/be...sight-reviews/

markiemark

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 21, 2011
    Liberty, IN
    I have a Bushnell trs-25 and been fairly happy with it especially at the pricepoint.

Ive also been a fan of the vortex crossfire red dots. Have a few I got from A&A and theyve worked well.

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    What are you putting it on and what are you going to shoot with it?

I can testify that the Field Sport is trash.

I have the Sightmark on a rifle and have had no problems with it.

I have the Holosun HS507C red dot on a Mark IV and like it, but would not use it on a rifle. They just came out with a new version that has larger controls, if you don't mind the smaller buttons you may find an older version on sale. I got mine for about $230.

I don't have one but the Bushnell seems to be a good value and gets good reviews on every forum I have seen it mentioned on. While variety might be nice getting another Bushnell would mean that everything would be familiar to you.

For quick target acquisition get a larger dot, smaller dot for precision shooting. I am guessing for you it will be for the range, so I would suggest a smaller dot.

I have seen on other forums where the recommendation is to budget about 1/2 of the firearms cost for your red dot or scope. That makes a kind of sense. You don't end up spending more on the optic than you spend on the gun and if you need the quality optic then you probably need to have a better gun to take advantage of the optics capabilities.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I have the Trijicon RM07, a previous model to the RMR on my Glock 20, really nice. I can shoot as well or better with it than I can with the iron sights. Cabela's had a sale on them some time back when the model was changing, so I got the older model. Don't remember the price exactly any more, but paid about half or slightly more of the normal price. AllenM did the work, very nice as he always does. This is not an MOS, AllenM did the machining on the slide:
    rimg.php

rimg.php

rimg.php

jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood
    I have a holosun 512C with the gold reticle (I almost spelled out testicle here). Color blind so this works well for me. It was like $350 on sale thru opticsplanet. It was pretty much on target out of the box. I had two slight moa adjustments and was done. Nice features and brightness levels.

jwright2882

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2019
    Greenwood
    I have the Trijicon RM07, a previous model to the RMR on my Glock 20, really nice. I can shoot as well or better with it than I can with the iron sights. Cabela's had a sale on them some time back when the model was changing, so I got the older model. Don't remember the price exactly any more, but paid about half or slightly more of the normal price. AllenM did the work, very nice as he always does. This is not an MOS, AllenM did the machining on the slide:

This model seems to be the gold standard from what I have read. Supposed to have really good night / low light capability.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I've had good luck with Aimpoints and Holo Romeo 5's on rifles/carbines and ARpistols, respectively. I've used C-mores and Vortex on pistols to good success.

Buy once, cry once on red dots.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    What are you putting it on and what are you going to shoot with it?

Either an inexpensive Browning Camper (w/Tactical barrel) or SW 22A, or any other pistol I might buy.
    I wanted to find something decent for range shooting in the $50ish range.

I can testify that the Field Sport is trash.

Appreciate the heads up, it was mentioned earlier also as a :nono:.

I have the Sightmark on a rifle and have had no problems with it.

I had a SightMark 3 MOA red dot w/2 sizes of red dots on a SW Victory that I enjoyed.

I have the Holosun HS507C red dot on a Mark IV and like it, but would not use it on a rifle. They just came out with a new version that has larger controls, if you don't mind the smaller buttons you may find an older version on sale. I got mine for about $230.
    I don't have one but the Bushnell seems to be a good value and gets good reviews on every forum I have seen it mentioned on. While variety might be nice getting another Bushnell would mean that everything would be familiar to you.

It seems from what has been said that the Bushnell TRS-25 is acceptable, but nothing below its $90-$100 price.
    I like the Bushnell since the red dot can be made larger or smaller with the settings.
    I have it on my best .22LR, the SW 41.

For quick target acquisition get a larger dot, smaller dot for precision shooting. I am guessing for you it will be for the range, so I would suggest a smaller dot.
    I have seen on other forums where the recommendation is to budget about 1/2 of the firearms cost for your red dot or scope.
    That makes a kind of sense.
    You don't end up spending more on the optic than you spend on the gun and if you need the quality optic then you probably need to have a better gun to take advantage of the optics capabilities.

I don't have a burning need for any great optics, the basic ones I have are fine for the my simple uses.
    Any red dot is going to help with my eyes. :dunno:

Top Bottom