Range box projects on the cheap while at home.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    So. I have been wanting to make a couple of things for my main range box for some time now and since I now have the time, I got them done.
    I hope you enjoy the pictures and maybe inspires you to make something!
    The first is a magazine holder for a .22 pistol that I'll use for Steel Challenge.
    I used a couple of discarded glasses boxes, some closed cell foam, and a little bit of Elmer's and CYA glues.
    IzIOpOa.jpg

pi99P2X.jpg

apOzRH7.jpg

gTxrFkd.jpg

Next up, a handgun holder that fits in the range box, keeps them protected, and has a bonus storage area. (I have to get the pics taken)

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Here is the handgun holder. It fits snugly in the tool box that i use to take my stuff to the range.
    1. A 9x6x5" box from an Amazon order.
    2. Dense white foam and black 3/16 foamboard. The cutout in the white foam is for a red dot and the slots are for the fb.
    3. Pre-assembled
    4. Assembly in the cardboard box.
    5. Three guns. The middle is a Canik SFX w/red-dot.
    6. Two piece removable "covers."
    7. Two 50 rnd boxes of 9mm. (the rubber band is temporary/before glue up)
    8. In the range box.
    dmYFNaa.jpg

U5s8sJ3.jpg

XjiP3I0.jpg

Alb6I6a.jpg

ITnrZkZ.jpg

1z1FZe2.jpg

nKaYEhI.jpg

YxpHW9B.jpg

9Ej6Fod.jpg

Whew, I don't know which was harder, making the box or posting these pics. Enjoy.

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Looking good! Nice and simple projects.

One modification to the pistol/ammo box you may want to consider. Add some structural support to the ammo shelf by adding two more "divider" pieces to the ends (outer side of the two end pistols). You're asking a lot from foam board just to balance on the two internal dividers.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i made a mag tote using some leftover scrap wood,
    1/2" plywood for the ends and bottom, 3/16" plywood for the long sides, wooden curtain rod for the handle.
    glued up and secured with narrow crown staples.
    pick and pull foam sprayed with a heavy coat of plastidip
    finished with some left over stain.
    holds 5 25rd M&P 15-22 mags, and 7 MK IV 22/45 mags

i'm no woodworker, but overall it turned out ok

:cheers:

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Looking good! Nice and simple projects.

One modification to the pistol/ammo box you may want to consider. Add some structural support to the ammo shelf by adding two more "divider" pieces to the ends (outer side of the two end pistols). You're asking a lot from foam board just to balance on the two internal dividers.

i made a mag tote using some leftover scrap wood,
    1/2" plywood for the ends and bottom, 3/16" plywood for the long sides, wooden curtain rod for the handle.
    glued up and secured with narrow crown staples.
    pick and pull foam sprayed with a heavy coat of plastidip
    finished with some left over stain.
    holds 5 25rd M&P 15-22 mags, and 7 MK IV 22/45 mags

i'm no woodworker, but overall it turned out ok

Thanks TJ. I had thought about adding the side pieces as well. The fit of the 50 rnd boxes was not planned at all but just happened that way. I think the foam board has enough structural strength in this vertical configuration but you may be right (chime in you INGO engineers). A couple of trips to the range may tell. If a divider fails I can then modify as the dividers are not glued in just snug fitted as the slots are undersized on purpose. I should however, pull out the foam and dividers and make tracings for the future. Unfortunately I did not write all the dimensions down while doing this as I intended it to just be a "one off" project. If anyone is interested in the dimensions, I could trade them for a brick of .22 ammo. :):

Hey Crewchief. You gotta post a picture or two for me. My magazine box project was going to be wood but then these other materials became available and I was desperate to build something to take my mind off of the current mess we are all in. I am surprised with the use of Plastidip. Neat idea. I assume that you did that to seal the pick apart together? It didn't melt the foam??? I have a can here that i used on the chrome fuel door on my Harley to kill the glare hitting my face. Worked perfectly and the flat black complemented the bike perfectly Thanks for the reply..

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Thank for the picture crewchief. Bigger than I imagined but I did not have AR mags in mind. I see how the Plastidip gives it a solid top look to the pick-a-part foam.

and thanks to you DadSmith. I am always tinkering with one idea or another. I'll keep your idea in mind as I enter my "later" years. Gotta look ahead, right?

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    Thank for the picture crewchief. Bigger than I imagined but I did not have AR mags in mind. I see how the Plastidip gives it a solid top look to the pick-a-part foam.

it's approx 13 1/2" X 9 1/2" X 8" tall

about the same size as my range bags

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    heres a smaller one I put together a couple years ago.

I found the plastic tote at pottery barn for a couple bucks.

added some pick and pull foam

enough room for 5 22/45 mags, and 5 Mossberg 715T mags.

9"X 8" X 4" tall

Attachments

• mag%20tote%20001.JPG
      mag%20tote%20001.JPG
      51.2 KB · Views: 15

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    That's interesting crewchief. I have basically that same tote and was eyeballing it for this purpose before I went the other way. It came down to the tote wouldn't fit into the tool box that I use. I was going to use one side for the mags and the other for boxes of .22 ammo, up to a brick. I still may do the tote mod and need to look around for some p-a-p foam. Harbor freight just opened up here in Bloomington. I wonder if they carry it.

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    That's interesting crewchief. I have basically that same tote and was eyeballing it for this purpose before I went the other way. It came down to the tote wouldn't fit into the tool box that I use. I was going to use one side for the mags and the other for boxes of .22 ammo, up to a brick. I still may do the tote mod and need to look around for some p-a-p foam. Harbor freight just opened up here in Bloomington. I wonder if they carry it.

I couldn't find pick n pull foam anywhere locally (NWI)
    I ended up ordering it from a craft store, (Michael's or JoAnn fabrics)
    amazon might be the easiest place to find it

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 15, 2019
    Union
    I carry a shooting stool with a custom bag for long range matches.everything I need is in that bag,Creedmoor sports makes them.The bag can hold my rear shooting bag ammo Kestrel and it has outside pouches for anything.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]https://www.creedmoorsports.com/category/STOOLS-RANGE-CARTS[/FONT]

Top Bottom