Swampfox Optics.. A best Kept Secret.....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    About 6 months ago I was on the hunt for a 1-6 or more preferably a 1-8 LPVO for my 6.5 Grendel SBR project. Most of what I found was unfortunately out of my budge, but I stumbled onto a company called Swampfox. If you haven't looked into their products before, their defiantly worth a look as I've been nothing but impressed. Great optics at killer prices I've reviewed a few of them for my channel if anyone would like to check them out. Just thought Id spread the info and some savings to anyone that may want to try one out you can use Coupon Code: THEHIDE for 20% off your order! Check out the reviews below!

[video=youtube;mofzxPdYLLA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mofzxPdYLLA&t=691s[/video]

[video=youtube;gB_9vECY40o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB_9vECY40o&t=100s[/video]

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I hate to say it, but as far as optics are concerned I am a very firm believer in you get what you pay for. $500 for a 1-8 the glass clarity or durability just can't be there. I mean otherwise a "cheap" good 1-8 is $1000 minimum

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I hate to say it, but as far as optics are concerned I am a very firm believer in you get what you pay for. $500 for a 1-8 the glass clarity or durability just can't be there. I mean otherwise a "cheap" good 1-8 is $1000 minimum

Oh puhlease! If you can't find a 1-8 scope that will outlast you and do the job for 5 bills you are a scope snob and not shopping hard enough.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Oh puhlease! If you can't find a 1-8 scope that will outlast you and do the job for 5 bills you are a scope snob and not shopping hard enough.

3JkkAWUh.jpg

Yeah......... The trigger in that rifle costs almost as much as the swampfox optic does. Sometimes good enough just does not cut it.

(Both the LPVO and RDS on the rifle are Trijicon too) so I guess that might make me a scope snob

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'll be a snob with ya, that's a very nice rifle. I'm partial to higher end optics myself. I currently have 5 Nightforce, 2 US Optics, 1 Trijicon, 4 Aimpoint T1s and an RMR.

If the Swampfox holds zero and tracks true it'll be yet another option for the masses. Not my kind of jam but I'm sure it'll work for many.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I'll be a snob with ya, that's a very nice rifle. I'm partial to higher end optics myself. I currently have 5 Nightforce, 2 US Optics, 1 Trijicon, 4 Aimpoint T1s and an RMR.

If the Swampfox holds zero and tracks true it'll be yet another option for the masses. Not my kind of jam but I'm sure it'll work for many.

I really appreciate the comment , especially given your background. That rifle was my "dream build" took darn near two years to save up for and put together. I seem to gravitate towards Trijicon for whatever reason, but that new Vortex 1-10 has me very interested. Though I have no need for another LPVO truth be told.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've owned more than a handful of Vortex scopes and had very few complaints with them. I have the Trijicon 1-8x, it was a spontaneous purchase after I looked through one the rep brought by my office. It currently doesn't have a rifle to sit on but I figure one will come along some day. :D

My .308 rifle that I used for work I built over the course of about 18 months. I worked a part time job and saved as much of the money as I could until I could buy a piece of it. Once I had everything I needed I shipped the components off and had it put together. It's been an amazing rifle and is one that I'll never part with.

ETA: Sorry for the tangent OP. Nice review, I'd like to get my hands on one and check it out.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

I would say in most cases you are correct which is why I have a Leupold sitting on top of my precision rifle. However a 1-8 is a bit different in its philosophy of use and yes you can get glass exceptional glass clarity for the $500 price range as its not the 1990's anymore. your welcome to come by and look through the ones I have and compare it to what ever optic you like. If you don't believe me that's fine, but to say that it cant do something when you have had no first hand experience with it holds little weight. Again this is just my opinion on this optic, so its worth exactly what you paid in order to get it... Nothing.... Just trying to pass on a decent optic for guys not looking to spend a grand on a scope for a rifle that may get shot once or twice a month. Or for the guys that just cant afford it and need something quality to get them out on the range or the course, which these optics will do flawlessly in my testing.. Thanks for your comment.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    https://vortexoptics.com/vortex-strike-eagle-1-8x24-ar-bdc2-moa-riflescope.html

So I was doing research into swampfox and this scope seems more in tune with what "The Hide" is looking for, but how does the glass quality compare to say the Strike Eagle like? Both are similar price points , dimensions and both are Chinese optics.

Also second very relevant question, with the exception of the lower cost options almost all 1-8 or 1-10 optics are FFP, do you feel that the Arrowhead being SFP puts it at a disadvantage? I feel that when mounted to a 6.5 a FFP would be much more useful given the extended range of the cartridge and the scopes 10x capability. Especially since the scope is only "zeroed" at the magnification setting you originally zeroed it on due to being SFP.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In

So I was doing research into swampfox and this scope seems more in tune with what "The Hide" is looking for, but how does the glass quality compare to say the Strike Eagle like? Both are similar price points , dimensions and both are Chinese optics.

Also second very relevant question, with the exception of the lower cost options almost all 1-8 or 1-10 optics are FFP, do you feel that the Arrowhead being SFP puts it at a disadvantage? I feel that when mounted to a 6.5 a FFP would be much more useful given the extended range of the cartridge and the scopes 10x capability. Especially since the scope is only "zeroed" at the magnification setting you originally zeroed it on due to being SFP.

I'm personally not a Vortex fan, so it wasn't an option for me when I was sourcing a scope. With that said a good friend of mine brought his Strike Eagle out and we couldn't tell any difference in clarity or field of view. I will say if you use the coupon code provided you can get the Tomahawk for considerably cheaper price..

As far as FFP goes I think its one of the most over sold features in the optic market today IMO. Unless your actually ranging off the reticle its an unnecessary feature to pay for and I know very very few guys that actually do that. So for me its not a issue.. Thanks for your comment.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I'm personally not a Vortex fan, so it wasn't an option for me when I was sourcing a scope. With that said a good friend of mine brought his Strike Eagle out and we couldn't tell any difference in clarity or field of view. I will say if you use the coupon code provided you can get the Tomahawk for considerably cheaper price..

As far as FFP goes I think its one of the most over sold features in the optic market today IMO. Unless your actually ranging off the reticle its an unnecessary feature to pay for and I know very very few guys that actually do that. So for me its not a issue.. Thanks for your comment.

Interesting perspective on FFP V. SFP and that answers my question as to the clarity of the glass as I am more familiar with vortex products so it gives me a good reference. Thanks!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I hear folks talk durability a lot.
    Have yet to see em drop their scoped rifles on concrete to prove it.

The Mountain Dew bottle smack, while of some force, seems to be limited LOL

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I did watch a non public video of an AR w Aimpoint micro being tossed about. Rifle and optic got skinned up. Worked and stayed zeroed.

Wasnt concrete smack though was ice

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I hear folks talk durability a lot.
    Have yet to see em drop their scoped rifles on concrete to prove it.

The Mountain Dew bottle smack, while of some force, seems to be limited LOL

Sage Dynamics did that for me in their review. Tossed the damn Trijicon off a balcony , going to go on a limb and say a lot of other scopes probably can't handle that.

[video=youtube_share;ozUIZxk7l0k]https://youtu.be/ozUIZxk7l0k[/video]

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I did watch a non public video of an AR w Aimpoint micro being tossed about. Rifle and optic got skinned up. Worked and stayed zeroed.

Wasnt concrete smack though was ice

Have you seen the Tac TV episode where Larry Vickers blew up a DD M4 inside a car with tannerite and the aimpoint still worked and held zero?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As far as FFP goes I think its one of the most over sold features in the optic market today IMO. Unless your actually ranging off the reticle its an unnecessary feature to pay for and I know very very few guys that actually do that.

I find FFP very useful even though I don't use a reticle to range a target very often. I like variable optics and tend to use them in different magnification settings. I also don't have time to make scope adjustments if a coyote or groundhog pops up. I can use a FFP reticle for holdovers and/or wind holds and the reticle is accurate regardless of which magnification setting the scope is on. SFP scopes require the magnification to be set at a specific point for the reticle to be accurate for ranging or holds.

For me FFP = fewer misses due to equipment

Top Bottom