• ...and so much more!
  • J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    I'm considering adding a handheld light to my EDC. So I've got 2 questions

1. Do you carry a light every time you carry a pistol?
    2. If so, what is the manufacturer and model of light and are if you had the chance would you buy the same light again (in other words, are you happy with it)?

Thanks in advance!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I carry a light even when I don’t have a pistol.../QUOTE]

^^^This^^^

I don't think a day goes by I don't use my light for something. Haven't "used" my pistola yet, thankfully.;)

I am a fan of Zebralights. I have several but my EDC is a SC52W. Yes, I'd buy it again.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I carry a light even when I don't carry a pistol.

I have an OLight, a Fenix, and a Thrunite. The Thrunite is the biggest, a "full sized" light.

Carry a pistol? Have a good handheld light.
    Carry a WML on a pistol? Have a good handheld light.
    Don't carry a pistol? Have a good handheld light.

Surefire, OLight, Fenix, Thrunite, Steamlight, etc etc etc all make quality lights.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I'm considering adding a handheld light to my EDC. So I've got 2 questions

1. Do you carry a light every time you carry a pistol?
    2. If so, what is the manufacturer and model of light and are if you had the chance would you buy the same light again (in other words, are you happy with it)?

Thanks in advance!

A good flashlight is especially useful overseas or Chicago/NYC.

I have an older Foursevens Quark that I really like better than the Fenix I had for a while. The button is well protected so it doesn't accidentally turn on. My Fenix roasted my thigh once in the car.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    Probably not as tacticool as some other lights, but I’ve been carrying the same Streamlight stylus pro for about 8 years now. It’s been the most useful EDC item I own, and the best $20 I’ve ever spent. Not the brightest, but it’s small and light enough I don’t realize I have it.

I am looking to upgrade to one of the newer streamlights soon, maybe the new 500 lumen rechargeable they recently came out with.
    https://www.streamlight.com/products/detail/index/macrostream-usb

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I feel like Batman every time I getmm dressed. Galco 1 3/4 leather SB6 belt, Kramer IWB, 629 4 inch, HKS Speedloader with magnums, Surefire ED2 Defender Ultra, Cold Steel Voyager half serrated, Cross Century Classic ink pen, American Express.

In these Pandemic times I change it up with a HiCap 9mm. Even though the round is anemic compared to my 240 Grain 1200fps I Can spray and pray like my favorite video game hero. However, I don’t hang lights, bells or whistles on any of my carry guns.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    I feel like Batman every time I getmm dressed. Galco 1 3/4 leather SB6 belt, Kramer IWB, 629 4 inch, HKS Speedloader with magnums, Surefire ED2 Defender Ultra, Cold Steel Voyager half serrated, Cross Century Classic ink pen, American Express.

In these Pandemic times I change it up with a HiCap 9mm. Even though the round is anemic compared to my 240 Grain 1200fps I Can spray and pray like my favorite video game hero. However, I don’t hang lights, bells or whistles on any of my carry guns.

of course my mobile units have a few AR’s , and a Marlin 45/70 loaded with 405 grainers and 2 Remington slug and Buck guns, and additional Surefire’s.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I always carry a flashlight, usually two -- a "regular" SD light and a pen light for when I don't need/want mega-lumens.

The key requirements for a self-defense light is that it fit in my pocket, it is bright as possible for its size, and VERY IMPORTANT it have tailcap click switch whose ONLY purpose is to turn it ON or OFF. That's it, no clicky-clickly-clicky to cycle through three different modes of brightness and strobing, how dark I want my toast and all that stuff. That's actually a pretty difficult feature to find, the flashlight manufacturers seem to compete for how many functions they can stuff into a single switch.

I have had several, but the longest lasting most useful one that I still carry is the Moobibear (yes, really their name) MB-FLMD003. I've had it for years, don't think they make that exact model any more, but I still really like it. Takes an 18650 rechargeable battery, came with a charger unit and I think a gizmo to let me use AAA batts or something like that. Aluminum case. 5.5" long, head is a little over 1" in diameter, rest of it less. Clicky tail cap that turns on and off. Bright. Perfect.

I think it was only about $20 when I bought it, and it's probably chinese made, but this is one item they did well on.

p.s.
    And yes this is the most used piece of "EDC" gear aside from my car keys. Whenever I have managed to make it out of the house without a flashlight, I have regretted it.

Last edited:

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yes always carry wallet, phone, flashlight (illumination tool) and a Swiss Army Knife of some sort. Both of my EDC lights are SureFire.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Handheld light comes in very handy, more than I ever thought it would. I love my streamlight, very reasonably priced. Also a big fan of Surefire and Olight.

Grump01

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Madison County
    Started with Surefire Defender as a carry light, but also use Streamlight Stylus (inspection), Stylus Pro (shirt pocket carry [2AAA], ProTac HL-X or HL 3 on belt, and going to add ProTac 2AA's for extra brightness shirt pocket carry. On belt, I use Simply Rugged's Leather 1" flashlight holsters instead of the nylon pouches that come with the lights. Depends on your needs and likes. Also, the ProTacs having the ten tap programming can adapt to various usages.

Last edited:

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I carry a light every day even when I can't carry a firearm. Primary is a since discontinued Surefire LX2 Lumamax. I also have a Surefire EDCL1-T and EDCL2-T that I've been messing around with that may someday be swapped in.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Streamlight micro stream USB pushes all the right buttons for me. Tail activation, reliable and durable from a reputable brand, plenty of lumen output, USB rechargeable, easily rides in a pocket with pretty much no bulk.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My EDC work flashlight since it's release is the updated 2016 version of the Fenix PD32. Through countless motorcycle/ ATV, UTV repairs being dropped on concrete, ground into the dirt, dropped in water during plumbing projects and possibly being thrown a few times in rage fits. It's survived the last 4 years very well. It doesn't even show the wear as bad as you'd think. I'd definitely buy it over and over again. I know I'll get flamed for this but Surefire flashlights are over priced and over rated. My $50 PD32 is brighter and has more features than Surefire lights costing more than twice as much. The exception is the Surefire G2X it's a decent light for a decent price. But still it can't use 18650 rechargeable batteries, only has two brightness levels and is only 600 lumens max.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Currently carrying a Surefire Stiletto Pro. I dig it. The form factor is different from what is "traditional," but it carries very easily, controls are intuitive, and the light is bright.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Streamlight micro stream USB pushes all the right buttons for me. Tail activation, reliable and durable from a reputable brand, plenty of lumen output, USB rechargeable, easily rides in a pocket with pretty much no bulk.

This is what I carry also. The brown version starts off on the higher lumens. I need to drop the extra coin to move up to the Macrostream they just released. 500 lumens in a 2oz light sounds right.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Finally settled on a Thrunite TC20. About 4.5” long with included 26650 battery & usb charging cord. 1800 lumens on high with about twice that on turbo.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Currently carrying a Surefire Stiletto Pro. I dig it. The form factor is different from what is "traditional," but it carries very easily, controls are intuitive, and the light is bright.
    Do you have a problem with it misfiring in your pocket? I have the standard Stilleto, and I constantly find it shining back at me from whatever pocket I carry it in?

Top Bottom