• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I am looking to put together a battle belt. It will be worn with and without a chest rig. I am somewhat familiar with HSGI as I have several of their Taco pouches. HSGI offers several belt options but I have not researched them. What are some other options? What are some other questions I need to think about?

Thanks!

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I have the eagle industries belt.

left side of belt:
    double esstac kywi pistol mag carrier
    single esstac kywi AR mag carrier.
    Behind that I run a trex arms dump pouch

middle of back:
    ifak(trex arms)

right side:
    safariland qls mid rise with various holsters
    then my fixed blade knife.
    Possibly a gcode single holster for multi tool
    (extra tourniquet doesn’t hurt)

prices:
    belt: $130ish
    mag carriers: $60ish
    dump pouch: $45ish
    ifak(with contents): $130-200
    Qls holster setup from safariland runs about $40(+whatever holsters you need)

plenty of options but I’d avoid the big padded belts and go to an inner outer Velcro style

other brands that some of my buddies have are:
    ronin tactics belt(most expensive)
    aws belt(customer service is blah)
    gcode (can buy an entire setup from them assembled)

derrickgoins

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    I have the Blue Alpha Gear Double Belt Rig - 3 single Esstac pistol pouches, 2 Esstac rifle pouches, HSGI dump pouch, Coyote Tactical Burrito Med Kit, and Safariland ALS on a mid-ride drop with a T-Rex Arms leg strap. Esstac pouches are a solid option if you run multiple different guns - there's really not adjustment necessary to use different mags.

I also have the Micro Grip Belt Panel from HSGI for times when I just put the belt on over a jacket or sweatshirt.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    I have owned a few. My current range belt is a Ronin Tactics belt. It's ok. Will probably be switching to a Lead Devil molle belt shortly. The ronin is not as stiff as I would like, and the inner belt is meh.

Running a Standardco Presley angled pistol mag, a double Esstac KYWI Gap pistol mag pouch, two Esstac KYWI Mid AR pouches, an EGL Loppy dump pouch, a Mayflower R&C Low-Vis Blow-Out Kit, a random multitool pouch, and a Safariland Mid ride UBL with QLS

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    What’s you’re intended use - training, SHTF, work, etc.?

^This. Most important question. Can't stress enough.

There are a lot of good suggested items here. Start small and work your way up. Found out what you NEED and how it works for you. One of my early setups has evolved so many times it grew legs. K.I.S.S.

P.S.-It's ok to not have a top of the line setup. I have a Franken-belt and it is better than the one I don't have every time.

WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    ^This. Most important question. Can't stress enough.

There are a lot of good suggested items here. Start small and work your way up. Found out what you NEED and how it works for you. One of my early setups has evolved so many times it grew legs. K.I.S.S.

P.S.-It's ok to not have a top of the line setup. I have a Franken-belt and it is better than the one I don't have every time.

I understand for sure. I will take my time in building. I just don't want to buy junk. Do most people run a padded belt vs not? I am looking at the options on HSGI's site.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I run HSGI all over, love their products, except the taco rig on my armor, empty tacos are pokey, I might get shaving the wings. I’ve run a lot of other belts, and the sticky material inside the HSGI makes it hands down the best weight distribution and lack of movement out of all of the high end rigs I’ve ran. A+.

And tacos look sweet. If you don’t look sweet, no point in having a battle belt in the first place.

Attachments

• A591C240-5899-47B5-BCFB-43143CA212F2.jpg
      A591C240-5899-47B5-BCFB-43143CA212F2.jpg
      129.2 KB · Views: 49

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    I run the original HSGI padded belt as opposed to the slimline version.
    If you plan on running a substantial load out there no way a Velcro style belt would hold up in my opinion. You may even need to add suspenders and there are attachment points.
    Neoprene backing helps the belt from sliding around.
    Versatility of HSGI tacos is a plus. I’m currently running three double (rifle and pistol) plus two pistol tacos that I’ll use for leatherman and flashlight as mission dictates. Get a good dump pouch, I’ll carry an additional four AR mags in mine depending on circumstances. HSGI blow out kit, ITS tourniquet pouch (it’s the dogs bollocks), first aid kit, pistol holster and fixed blade round it out.
    Without the four extra mags I’m at 14# with a G19 and wml. Weight adds up quickly but a battle belt is a breeze to don or doff.
    The beauty is you can easily shed items you don’t need if need be.
    As others have said it’s a journey. Add, move, pare down as ‘you’ need for your needs.
    If I had to do it all over again I would pick the HSGI set up I have as it works for me.
    I run a 2” drop offset holster from gcode. The ability to swap out weapon platforms via the RTI system works for me. Safariland QLS has similar versatility (I’m currently running the Safariland 6395RDS with the RTI set up).
    Sizing you battle belt Correctly is critical as the amount of usable molle real-estate depends on it.
    If you pare down for mission demands your equipment you need is still in the same place.
    If you are in foul weather gear or cold weather gear you loosen the belt slightly and it goes over the top of your gear (you cannot do that with the Velcro over belt style).
    Not bashing the Velcro style as they definitely have their place, just pointing out some pro’s and cons.
    What colour are you going with? Decisions decisions .

jsx1043

Master
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    I absolutely LOVE my Wilder belt pad. Esstac mag pouches, Safariland ALS holster and a modified Eagle pouch to hold my radio. It all rides on a 1.75” TAG cobra belt.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    If you plan on running a substantial load out there no way a Velcro style belt would hold up in my opinion. You may even need to add suspenders and there are attachment points.
    Versatility of HSGI tacos is a plus. I’m currently running three double (rifle and pistol) plus two pistol tacos that I’ll use for leatherman and flashlight as mission dictates. Get a good dump pouch, I’ll carry an additional four AR mags in mine depending on circumstances. HSGI blow out kit, ITS tourniquet pouch (it’s the dogs bollocks), first aid kit, pistol holster and fixed blade round it out.
    Without the four extra mags I’m at 14# with a G19 and wml. Weight adds up quickly but a battle belt is a breeze to don or doff.
    As others have said it’s a journey. Add, move, pare down as ‘you’ need for your needs.
    If I had to do it all over again I would pick the HSGI set up I have as it works for me.
    I run a 2” drop offset holster from gcode. The ability to swap out weapon platforms via the RTI system works for me. Safariland QLS has similar versatility (I’m currently running the Safariland 6395RDS with the RTI set up).
    Sizing you battle belt Correctly is critical as the amount of usable molle real-estate depends on it.
    If you pare down for mission demands your equipment you need is still in the same place.
    If you are in foul weather gear or cold weather gear you loosen the belt slightly and it goes over the top of your gear (you cannot do that with the Velcro over belt style).
    Not bashing the Velcro style as they definitely have their place, just pointing out some pro’s and cons.

I've run the HSGI padded belt, a Crye padded battle belt, and an ATS padded battle belt. For padded belts, I agree - the HSGI is the nicest.

In terms of velcro belts holding up, that has not been my experience. I have time on an Ares Gear, a Volund, and a Ronin Tactics. All hold my gear up just fine. If it's a concern, toss a couple keepers on. In my experience, the velcro belts are much better at keeping your gear in the same spot. Even with the grippy HSGI belt, I get some shift. For most things, it's not a huge deal. For my holster, I want it in the same spot for every draw.

It is definitely easier to toss a padded belt over layers, but there are work arounds for the velcro belts - if the outer belt has loop velcro on it, you can just make sure it is snug, and toss it on over the layers. For belts with hook velcro, just cut a strip of grippy material backed with loop velcro to size, and slap it on the belt before putting it on over layers.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake

I run quite a bit of stuff on my eagle industries belt. I dont really have any issues with it holding the weight. The only time i have had an issue was when i first got the belt, and did not have length set properly.

I do see what your are saying about the cold weather though. There isnt a way i could run my eagle belt unless i had my belt loops exposed. I guess i could wrap it around without the inner velcro but i dont know how that would work.

In regards to your 6395 RDS do these come with a factory cant from safariland? I am looking at purchasing one on the arfcom forums, but it looks like it comes with a cant. Hoping that is adjustable and i just cant see the other holes behind the qls attachment.

Cheers!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I had an original HSGI padded belt and liked it, but it was too tall. I sold it and just use an ares gear inner belt right now. with velcro on my MALACE clips to keep the pouches from sliding.
    If I was going to do it again I would probably get the HSGI operator belt with the micro grip panel.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    In regards to your 6395 RDS do these come with a factory cant from safariland? I am looking at purchasing one on the arfcom forums, but it looks like it comes with a cant. Hoping that is adjustable and i just cant see the other holes behind the qls attachment.
    Cheers!
    I just checked and it looks like no cant when it comes from Safariland. When I added the RTI adapter from gcode it does cant the holster say 5-15 degrees. I’m not sure if Safariland offers the ability to introduce cant via their QLS attachment system.

Top Bottom