• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    I recently ordered from aliengear due to a few buddies saying they make top notch holsters. Found out after i placed the order that there is a 5-6 week lead time.... was like holy ****!! Are these holster as good as ive been told?

idkfa

personally invading Ukraine (vicariously)
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hell
    YMMV, as it depends on multiple variables: type of handgun, specific holster in question, what your body type and intended carry position(s) are.

I ordered an Alien Gear Cloak Mod OWB holster for an HK VP9SK last year -- didn't like it in the slightest and returned immediately.
    Here's a brief summary of my findings:

1. The holster is quite bulky...
    2. Yet the gun had enough play to be annoying (even after multiple attempts to adjust the retention).
    3. The rubberized surface had too much grip on the gun for my liking.
    4. Said surface got marred and scratched up after the few initial draw-reholster cycles sufficiently for me to worry about its longevity.
    5. To me, the paddle is useless: hard to put on, very uncomfortable against the bone.

To put things into perspective: I zoned in on KT Akela holster from KT Mech for OWB (3 o'clock) at the range and Remora for IWB concealed carry.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    IMHO you will jot be disappointed with an Alien gear holster. I have a couple of them and have been very happy with them. I have the IWB 3.0 and 3.5 and they are comfortable and they fit the gun like a glove

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I recently ordered from aliengear due to a few buddies saying they make top notch holsters. Found out after i placed the order that there is a 5-6 week lead time.... was like holy ****!! Are these holster as good as ive been told?

They are my go to holster. I carry iwb so can only tell you about them. I have their leather iwb 3.0 3.5 holsters i like them all. The 3.0, 3.5 are cooler in the summer than the leather IMO. I work outside year round and they are the most comfortable i have found in almost 3 decades of iwb carry. I've wasted a lot of money on different holsters. Now Alien Gear gets my iwb money.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I recently ordered from aliengear due to a few buddies saying they make top notch holsters.

Aliengear IWB is a Hyundai. It's serviceable, will probably work for most uses for most users, but to call it "top notch" is a sign you have never driven anything other then Hyundais or Yugos. Your buddies have never seen an actual top notch holster. Aliengear Appendix looks very much like a Yugo would be the better bet.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Aliengear IWB is a Hyundai. It's serviceable, will probably work for most uses for most users, but to call it "top notch" is a sign you have never driven anything other then Hyundais or Yugos. Your buddies have never seen an actual top notch holster. Aliengear Appendix looks very much like a Yugo would be the better bet.

ok so since you make that claim what do you consider better? Why?

also for the others who have commented. I have a iwb and the belly band thing f
    for when you are wearing gym shorts and such.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    ok so since you make that claim what do you consider better? Why?

also for the others who have commented. I have a iwb and the belly band thing f
    for when you are wearing gym shorts and such.

What do you want to spend? How do you intend to carry? For what purpose?

See, there's two ways to view this. #1 is a holster is just a gun bucket you wear. In that case, you don't need or want my input. #2 is that mission drives the gear train. Different holsters are better for different things. Some generic answer is meaningless. Also, without a budget to keep in mind you still don't need or want my input as I may list things beyond what you want to spend.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    What do you want to spend? How do you intend to carry? For what purpose?

See, there's two ways to view this. #1 is a holster is just a gun bucket you wear. In that case, you don't need or want my input. #2 is that mission drives the gear train. Different holsters are better for different things. Some generic answer is meaningless. Also, without a budget to keep in mind you still don't need or want my input as I may list things beyond what you want to spend.

money is no obstacle if i can see the value in it. I will most always carry inside waist band or appendix. I need something with will work with gym shorts/clothing that doesn’t allow a belt. Something comfortable obviously. I do alot of hiking and bike riding something that attaches to a backpack or similar is something im looking for as well.

i liked the modular aspect to alien gear holsters.

also if i take the time to ask i want your input.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    money is no obstacle if i can see the value in it. I will most always carry inside waist band or appendix. I need something with will work with gym shorts/clothing that doesn’t allow a belt. Something comfortable obviously. I do alot of hiking and bike riding something that attaches to a backpack or similar is something im looking for as well.

Beltless waistband carry is a horrible idea. If you absolutely think you have to the only thing that is suitable is something that uses ulticlips.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

So how many days have you worn an Alien Gear holster and which one was it and what handgun was it for?

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.

when’s the last time you drove a Hyundai? Seriously though they are as good as Honda/Toyota right now and maybe better in sine segments.

as for the OP I had one for my Taurus, it was the IWB leather 3.0. After breakin it was comfortable and secure. Been thinking of buying another

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Ok, so I'm assuming you're carrying for self-defense during a multitude of activities then. I would strongly urge against belt-less carry with a clip holster. Lack of security, the ability of the holster to come up with the gun on a draw stroke, etc. Just really not a good idea. I think you'd be better off buying something for traditional AIWB or IWB when you're wearing a belt and a non-traditional holster for when you aren't. No belt leaves you with pocket carry or pack carry.

So I'd recommend taking a look at two options. Hill People Gear chest packs are great for running, bicycling, hacking, etc. but are definitely not covert and are more expensive. See: https://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/CategoryID/1 Note you're getting a product that supports American industry and a product that'll likely last you a lifetime. Downside is, again, definitely not covert. That's going to be the top notch option in the category.

A more covert option is: https://www.elitesurvival.com/concealment-bags-packs/marathon-gunpack/ This one doesn't scream "there's a gun in here" as loudly. I've ran a lot of miles with this one and a Shield and it doesn't bounce around, holds my phone and house key in a separate compartment, etc. I've been quite happy with it. It's a reasonable mid-grade product.

For a similar product to the Alien IWB hybrid, I would consider https://comp-tac.com/mtac-premier-iwb-hybrid-holster-comp-tac/ to be top notch. The double layer backing with two different cuts of leather vs neoprene adds value. The cut of the backing is simply better. It is less likely to interfere with a draw as Alien gear or Crossbreed because the double layer backing is stiffer and self supporting with less material 'up high'. If you're a more rotund individual, you are less likely to have the sweat guard roll over and partially obstruct the opening, which will lead to you muzzling yourself as you holster or having to use two hands.

Appendix carry is *very* personal. Body type, gun size, etc. I recommend this with less confidence then the others and only as a place to start, but I really like the wing claw design here: https://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-WC2.html I carry a 4" GP100 while backpacking with this holster without issue and very comfortably. Appendix, IMO, is much harder to say "this will work" just from looking and evaluating with a critical eye. You kinda have to buy and try.

So how many days have you worn an Alien Gear holster and which one was it and what handgun was it for?

None, because I can see the design issues that got them to that price point without having to buy one. I get people get invested in their brands. But let's play. How many days have you worn an MTAC holster? How many days have you worn a Nichols Avenger? How many presentations have you done with a target and timer from each? Which one did you take through ECQC?

How many designers have you worked with on new designs?

How many companies have you been the T&E man for?

If you bought from a certain company over a certain time period, and paid over $150 for the holster I was probably the guy who shoved a real gun in it before it got to you. There are a few designs from a certain famous maker that never saw the light of day based on my T&E and feedback.

So, in short, I actually have some background in this arena.

So, again, it's a serviceable holster that will probably work for most people for most uses. It is not top notch.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I work with timber year round. It stays put when doing all kinds of bending and it's completely comfortable. My main concern is it staying put until I draw it, and the comfort of wearing it in heat and cold 12 hours + a day. Alien Gear gets my vote and has for the last 6+ years. I'm not racing a clock it's to carry in case I need it for self defense.

Needmorammo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2014
    Columbus
    Gotta agree with BBI on this one. AG holsters are ok for the price. But there are much better holsters available. I've had two, both were serviceable but bulky. I gave both away. As stated above,comptac is well known. My personal favorites are Stealthgear, and Black Arch. They are not cheap, but IMO are well worth it.

idkfa

personally invading Ukraine (vicariously)
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2019
    Hell

Try Remora (https://remoraholsterstore.com/). In a nutshell, they make softshell or semirigid (kydex insert) holsters that work with just about any garments. You can order a holster with and without a small retention clip (either their own metal one or an ulticlip).

Contrary to popular belief, clipless holsters can work very well if the holster is done right: soft, lightweight, sufficiently grippy on the outside, and less grippy on the inside.
    They provide for excellent retention of the gun in the holster and holster in the pants, very comfortable to wear, and a breeze to tuck in and take out (when you specifically need to pull the holster out, that is).
    I've been using Remora for 6 months and carrying literally every day for at least an hour.
    I do extensive dryfire drills with it, and it never came even close to budging -- much less coming out -- when I draw my gun.
    While I successfully tried carrying it at home without a belt, I never did outside, as I always wear pants with a regular belt.

An example of a clipless holster done not-so-well is a Sticky Holster. This is the first clipless holster I tried (and returned). Its problem is that the material is not sufficiently grippy and there were 3 or so times when it did come out with a holster. People also report it wears out quickly, and I did notice signs of wear after the first week or so. Not good.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Gotta agree with BBI on this one. AG holsters are ok for the price. But there are much better holsters available. I've had two, both were serviceable but bulky. I gave both away. As stated above,comptac is well known. My personal favorites are Stealthgear, and Black Arch. They are not cheap, but IMO are well worth it.

thank you i will look into the others that you mentioned. Like i said earlier in the post money is not an issue as long as i see the value there.
    Try Remora (https://remoraholsterstore.com/). In a nutshell, they make softshell or semirigid (kydex insert) holsters that work with just about any garments. You can order a holster with and without a small retention clip (either their own metal one or an ulticlip).

Contrary to popular belief, clipless holsters can work very well if the holster is done right: soft, lightweight, sufficiently grippy on the outside, and less grippy on the inside.
    They provide for excellent retention of the gun in the holster and holster in the pants, very comfortable to wear, and a breeze to tuck in and take out (when you specifically need to pull the holster out, that is).
    I've been using Remora for 6 months and carrying literally every day for at least an hour.
    I do extensive dryfire drills with it, and it never came even close to budging -- much less coming out -- when I draw my gun.
    While I successfully tried carrying it at home without a belt, I never did outside, as I always wear pants with a regular belt.

An example of a clipless holster done not-so-well is a Sticky Holster. This is the first clipless holster I tried (and returned). Its problem is that the material is not sufficiently grippy and there were 3 or so times when it did come out with a holster. People also report it wears out quickly, and I did notice signs of wear after the first week or so. Not good.

i will look at it. Thank you.

Top Bottom