• ...and so much more!
  • ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am a big fan of red dots on pistols. Every one of the guns I carry has either an RMR or Shield RMS/RMSc. I have been running the RMS/RMSc now for a couple years on a G43, CZ P10C and a G48. Overall, I have been luke warm on these sights. I never was a fan of the polymer lens. You have to clean it with dodo feathers and fairy farts as to not scratch the lens. Plus, I never thought they had the clearest dot. I have seen others having issues with getting them wet and even bending the aluminum housing. Not a rugged EDC sight IMHO.

That being said, after the beginning of the year, they came out with a glass lens version of the RMSc. I was much more optimistic about the new glass lens even though the price is STEEP ($450). Regardless, I wanted a red dot on my P365XL and was not going to by a polymer-housed Romeo Zero. Not many, if any, other options on the market now. Therefore, I decided to buy the glass lens RMSc. It arrived in late February.

First issue was that the screws they supply with the sight do not fit the P365 optics cut. Had to identify, source and order new screws to fit. They came a couple days later and then I finally installed the RMSc on the P265XL.

Second issue (and the biggie)....the red dot was flickering. Tried to switch batteries and that did not fix the issue. Obviously an electronic issue. Contacted Shield to send it in for repair. After a week, they replied and said I had to send it back to the UK for repairs. It was going to cost like $40 to mail it back there + extended shipping time. I then got on their website only to find that they have a return process form on their sight and I only have to send the sight to Florida for repair. Much better, but still pissed I about sent it to the UK. Mailed it to Florida on 3/12/20.

Third issue was, after not hearing anything from them for a month, I had to contact them to get an update. They said they received it and it was in line for repair.

Fourth issue....It took them another MONTH to complete the repair and send it back!

So...tonight I got it back in the mail. Very excited to finally get it on my P365, I went to my workroom to install it only to find.......IT HAS THE SAME FLICKERING ISSUE! It's like they did not even repair it. Just mailed it back to me. Unbelievable.

So...I just fired off a NOT HAPPY email to Shield telling them I want an immediate replacement. Not another 60 day repair ordeal. We will see what they say.

Regardless....I am DONE with Shield Sights.

Now...when is the Holosun 507k coming out!!!???!!!

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Yea, I’ve seen quite a few reviews where these have failed. Not really keen on the idea of how fragile they are either. I’m rough on my stuff and that’s why I go with the Rmr. The holosun options look good as well. I might try one of the 507ks on my 365 as well. Waiting for that because I don’t want any of the shield footprints sights currently offered.

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’ve been a fan of the RMRs. The glass isn’t perfect, but they are rugged as all get out. Just got the SOCOM one in coyote brown

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Had a very similar problem with a V1 RMR and have the same feeling about trijicon. I've had good results with Vortex and Holosun.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    I have the regular irons on all, but one of my pistols. I have the Tritium night sights on my G48, but the rest of the guns just wear regular sights. I once had a Beretta .22 Neos with a red dot on it, but I found that I actually shot more accurately without the red dot.

Now, for speed shooting, the red dot was faster for me, but just standing there and shooting for groups? Naw, I never really noticed any big difference. JMHO

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I have a Shield sight and it's not failed once. I admit I don't shoot competitions or anything. I have it on a Glock 21. Maybe recoil impulse is different on my 45 v.s. the 365XL?

Maverick30

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 13, 2019
    Columbus area
    Had a very similar problem with a V1 RMR and have the same feeling about trijicon. I've had good results with Vortex and Holosun.

Yea the V1 RMR's were notorious for having battery contact issues causing a flicker but they fixed it in the newer "type 2" versions.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Put one on back order. We’ll see. Won’t be surprised if that gets pushed back though given current circumstances.
    Just got an email update on the Holosun 407K. ETA pushed back until the end of June. No surprise.

Top Bottom