• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    just like the title says. What do you guys run and do you like it? I have need to get one for some contractor work I’m getting involved with. Ar500 the way to go for best bang for buck?

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have two sets of hard plates (one for me, one for wife) from AR500. They seem to be the best priced around. However, those things are HEAVY! Especially when you get a few fully loaded 30 round mags on it. I am very interested in replacing them with soft armor but I have just not done enough research to know what to buy. I'll be watching this post to see if any members have info on soft plates.

Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Do you know what level of armor you are looking for, or did they suggest something? The level of the armor can determine which type of armor you will need such as soft, steel plates or ceramic.

Ron

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    What are you going to be doing with it? What threat level of protection are you wanting? Steel is heavy, I prefer ceramic. I think mine are United Shield. Have them in a PIG carrier with 3A soft cumberbund on the sides. It was expensive but should last me my whole career. Buy once cry once, especially if you’re going to be using it a lot.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    What are you going to be doing. If you're going to wear it all day I would avoid ar500. I have used rma and hesco plates and have been happy with both. Rma doesn't cost too much. I do have ar500 but it isn't a primary rig it's a really expensive weight vest and back up armor for shtf.

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    Check out Tactical Scorpion Gear PE lvl 3+ plates they are way lighter than steel. Whatever you decide on get multi-curve plates.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    No specific threat level given. I’m looking hard at III+ as best bang for buck. Yes I know steel is heavy but so was the iotv I had to wear in the army. 40 some pounds if I remember right. They are only heavy the first couple weeks. I never liked having to worry if my ceramic plates would crack from rough handling myself so steel seems a better option with a longer life.

primary goal is making it home to my family, might upgrade to level IV plates later or add in a layer of IIIa soft armor to get the same rating.

not going to be using a lot more of a side gig/ moonlighting deal since it pays better than my primary job but is sporadic( I can take off my my primary gig whenever the opportunity comes up)

anyone use the carriers from spartan, 5.11 or ar500? Anything in particular to avoid?

BR8818

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    The TSG plates are Polyethylene not ceramic if you do decide to go that route use coupon code thegunpenguin 15% off. Two medium sapi 3+ multi curve plates would cost about $350 with the coupon.

It does take 30days to receive the plates.

A buddy has the testudo plate carrier from ar500 he likes it.

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I would recommend against steel. Makes good targets but is lacking as armor. You can get quality ceramic level 4 plates for the same price (Hesco 4400/4401) that are NIJ certified, proven, and lighter. For a budget lighter weight plate that is special threat (m855) look at Hesco L210. You can get those around $350 and they are 5 lbs and some change.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I would recommend against steel. Makes good targets but is lacking as armor. You can get quality ceramic level 4 plates for the same price (Hesco 4400/4401) that are NIJ certified, proven, and lighter. For a budget lighter weight plate that is special threat (m855) look at Hesco L210. You can get those around $350 and they are 5 lbs and some change.

Got a link to theses plates you are talking about. I am interested.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Friends don't let friends buy steel armor. Hescos are almost as cheap as steel.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Alright lots of great replies thank you all. I did some more research since this is a purchase I’m going to literally bet my life on and reddit showed my some videos of bullets ricocheting off of steel plates and into a watermelon where your head would be.

suffice it to say not getting steel.

Got pointed to hesco 4401 plates and they are cheaper than steel when you count in the extra rhino lining and multi curve. Got a set of them on order. Still not set on a plate carrier though and also wondering if anyone is rocking plates plus a layer of soft armor?
    thats what I remember having in the military and since level IIIa soft armor is 1 pound and only 60 bucks would it fit in a carrier behind a ceramic plate or make it too bulky ?

like I said , I just want the best I can afford in order to make sure I make it home in a worst case scenario.

stormryder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Batesville IN
    What I did to my steel was wrap it w/Fiberglass to catch any Fragments.
    Tested them and held up fine even w/.308 rounds.
    My experience w/Ceramic armor while in the military was not a good one,
    the stuff was fragile and had to be replaced constantly whenever dropped or damaged.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Started with ar500 plates and an lbt armatus carrier. Carrier was nice wasn’t a huge fan of the ar500.

i still own that but have since upgraded to ltc 26605 lvl 4 ceramics that I wear in he same carrier. They fit me much better and are WAY more comfortable. I also dropped about 3 lbs per plate and they have a higher rating than my ar500.

ive seen a ton of videos with steel plates not performing so well. Atleast not performing as well as some places claim.

One thing to note is that my ceramics were about $550 for the set and I think the steel were like 150 or 200. If you absolutely have to save money I think the steel is better than nothing. But why save money on something you want to stop rounds? I’d save longer and get quality ceramics. LTC or Hesco

Top Bottom