4 year study on Red Dot sights on pistols. Interesting battery stat.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Sage Dynamics recently completed a 4 year study on slide mounted red dot sights. The whole report is available as a PDF download from this site. https://www.sagedynamics.org

I have not read it in it's entirety but one result I found interesting is some brands of batteries failed a lot more that others. From the article

Interestingly, this handgun red dot study also found Energizer and Sony batteries cannot reliably withstand the handguns’ recoil, but Duracell’s batteries held up to a handgun’s recoil.

Maybe something to keep in mind.

When I find some spare time, I plan on reading the entire PDF.

The writer of the study can be heard in the first part of this podcast.

https://guntalk.libsyn.com/effectiveness-of-red-dots-on-handguns-gun-talk-radio-062120-hour-1

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Well :poop:, for my first 507C I bought 2 dozen Sony batteries for spares and for my second I bought a dozen Energizer as spares... :facepalm:

Thanks for posting, now I gotta go buy some new batteries... :(

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Interesting how the ACRO and Holosun did so well out of the gate with the breakages. My only issue is there is no full list of MRDS used to understand which ones broke. The list shown does not mention if the MRDS named is the same one or a different one, such as the ones that broke and possibly were replaced. It makes following the list a little hard with how many RMRs there are compared to the other makes and models.

Otherwise it was an interesting read. Just wished they tested the ACRO and Holosun more like how the RMR got so much testing.

Top Bottom