• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Decided it's time to upgrade my hearing protection.

Would appreciate recommendations/reviews of muffs that are a good value for the price.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have nothing bad to say about the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs. I've been using them for a few years now for pistol and rifle shooting, carbine classes, etc. They're low profile and do what they're supposed to do. I don't know how I was able to get by with non-electronic ear pro for so long. Once you go electronic you won't go back.

The auto shut off feature is nice. I was at a shoot yesterday and had an "oh crap" moment when I realized I had forgotten to turn them off after my last range trip two weeks prior. But my batteries lasted all day, finally dying out literally as we were packing up.

Are there better electronic options out there? Probably. But for about $50 the Impact Sport line is a great value.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Amplification-Electronic/dp/B001T7QJ9O

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I have nothing bad to say about the Howard Leight Impact Sport electronic muffs. I've been using them for a few years now for pistol and rifle shooting, carbine classes, etc. They're low profile and do what they're supposed to do. I don't know how I was able to get by with non-electronic ear pro for so long. Once you go electronic you won't go back.

The auto shut off feature is nice. I was at a shoot yesterday and had an "oh crap" moment when I realized I had forgotten to turn them off after my last range trip two weeks prior. But my batteries lasted all day, finally dying out literally as we were packing up.

Are there better electronic options out there? Probably. But for about $50 the Impact Sport line is a great value.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Amplification-Electronic/dp/B001T7QJ9O

Thanks for the info. I will definitely check them out.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    What are you looking for?

Muff style only?

Electronic style, that allows you to hear conversations when there is no shooting?

Low height for using with a rifle?

I just got a pair of Walker Silencer in ear electronic ear plugs and like them. Midway also has these Walker electronic ear muffs on sale. Right now Midway has free shipping on orders over $49.

I'm open to all suggestions. I do need something I can use shooting rifles.

Thanks for your input, I'll check them out.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Indoor or outdoor shooting?

Outdoors the electronic ones help. Indoors save your pennies. Too much noise from other shooters so you might as well be wearing 50c foam plugs.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Another vote for the Howard Leight Impact. I have had the Impact Pro for about 3 years now. About $70 if I recall. They are very comfortable, and the battery life is incredible, even if you forget and leave them on. Great for giving instruction. I have used them for indoor shooting, and if shooting matches where only pistol ammo is in use, I don't even need plugs underneath. (If you're shooting in a public range where someone is shooting an AR next to you, you will need plugs also). An added neat feature is they have the 1/8" audio line-in port on one side, so you can plug in your iPhone. (If you play drums, they are awesome because you can plug in your metronome app or Spotify, and have hearing protection and play along with something at the same time). They get used almost every day either drumming or shooting, and have stood the test of time.

They are a nice upgrade from typical hearing protection, and I wish I'd bought them sooner in my shooting life.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Indoor or outdoor shooting?

Outdoors the electronic ones help. Indoors save your pennies. Too much noise from other shooters so you might as well be wearing 50c foam plugs.

I've used plugs, passive and electronic muffs. I usually use plugs and muffs, passive or electronic, indoors. Just looking to buy newer, better, electronics.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Another vote for the Howard Leight Impact. I have had the Impact Pro for about 3 years now. About $70 if I recall. They are very comfortable, and the battery life is incredible, even if you forget and leave them on. Great for giving instruction. I have used them for indoor shooting, and if shooting matches where only pistol ammo is in use, I don't even need plugs underneath. (If you're shooting in a public range where someone is shooting an AR next to you, you will need plugs also). An added neat feature is they have the 1/8" audio line-in port on one side, so you can plug in your iPhone. (If you play drums, they are awesome because you can plug in your metronome app or Spotify, and have hearing protection and play along with something at the same time). They get used almost every day either drumming or shooting, and have stood the test of time.

They are a nice upgrade from typical hearing protection, and I wish I'd bought them sooner in my shooting life.

Thanks for the input. The Howard Leight Impact seems like a good choice, they're well-reviewed elsewhere too.

I'm glad I posted this request for input here, I had never heard of the Howards before.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Surefire Sonic defenders are my favorite, muffs become uncomfortable for me after about 30 min.

I have several pricey electronic hearing protectors that I like but always keep SureFire EP7 Sonic Defenders in the range bag for when I want pure comfort or batteries die. I can carry on a conversation with the stopper unplugged or plug them in when things get louder.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    I have several pricey electronic hearing protectors that I like but always keep SureFire EP7 Sonic Defenders in the range bag for when I want pure comfort or batteries die. I can carry on a conversation with the stopper unplugged or plug them in when things get louder.

Those look like a really good product. I'm looking for muffs but in hot weather outdoors I usually use soft foam plugs. Those look like a significant upgrade at a reasonable price, I'm going to order some and try them out. I can see they would be useful in any situation I would use foam plugs, like mowing, weed-whacking, chainsaw, etc.

Thanks very much for the tip.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    Does anyone who has experience with the Howard Leight muffs wear glasses? Do they fit over the arms of glasses/safety glasses with a good seal?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Does anyone who has experience with the Howard Leight muffs wear glasses? Do they fit over the arms of glasses/safety glasses with a good seal?

There isn't as much room for adjustment as some other muffs I have used, but I have never had an issue getting a good seal with them, even with glasses on. The arch that sits on the top of your head doesn't expand. All of the adjustment is in the brackets that connect the earpiece to the band, so If you have a tall or really wide head you might have issues, but I see lots of people wearing them at the training classes I've taken so they must fit most people.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    There isn't as much room for adjustment as some other muffs I have used, but I have never had an issue getting a good seal with them, even with glasses on. The arch that sits on the top of your head doesn't expand. All of the adjustment is in the brackets that connect the earpiece to the band, so If you have a tall or really wide head you might have issues, but I see lots of people wearing them at the training classes I've taken so they must fit most people.

OK, thanks. I wear glasses so it's an important point for me.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Those look like a really good product. I'm looking for muffs but in hot weather outdoors I usually use soft foam plugs. Those look like a significant upgrade at a reasonable price, I'm going to order some and try them out. I can see they would be useful in any situation I would use foam plugs, like mowing, weed-whacking, chainsaw, etc.

Thanks very much for the tip.

And you can get the EPs in either foam or baffle style. I prefer baffles because the foams slide out of my ears after a bit. Foams do block noticibly more sound though. THey are my backup too.

OK, thanks. I wear glasses so it's an important point for me.

if you find your glasses are not true impact resistant lenses, and the temples dig in after a while with muffs, check these out. The suppressor frames are very thin and designed to be comfy under muffs all day. (crosshair are standard, crossbow lenses are anti fog)

https://www.esseyepro.com/ballistic-eyeshields?cat=63

and the best part, prescription inserts.
    https://www.esseyepro.com/accessories/goggle-accessories/universal-prescriptioin-u-rx-insert

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus

If you happened to have a problem with your eye pro, gel ear pads are available from several sources for Howard Leight muffs.

gundawg

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2016
    Cedar Lake
    And you can get the EPs in either foam or baffle style. I prefer baffles because the foams slide out of my ears after a bit. Foams do block noticibly more sound though. THey are my backup too.

if you find your glasses are not true impact resistant lenses, and the temples dig in after a while with muffs, check these out. The suppressor frames are very thin and designed to be comfy under muffs all day. (crosshair are standard, crossbow lenses are anti fog)

https://www.esseyepro.com/ballistic-eyeshields?cat=63

and the best part, prescription inserts.
    https://www.esseyepro.com/accessories/goggle-accessories/universal-prescriptioin-u-rx-insert

Thanks again. My glasses are hardened but those look great Might have to get a pair with the prescription inserts.

Top Bottom