• ...and so much more!
  • jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    So what have you guys/girls found comfortable for a chest rig for an AK carrier?
    No armor plates at this time just room to carry AK magazines and perhaps some extra pistol magazines.
    Thanks!

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I like to use HSGI Tacos as they fit everything I want to put in them and I can go back and forth from AR to AK mags easy. I like the AO chest rig that they offer as it is MOLLE and therefore modular. If you ever get plates the AO can also be clipped onto the front of many plate carriers so your loadout stays the same and can be worn with or without plates.

My current AO chest rig has 3 HSGI double decker TACO pouches and one "soft taco" pouch for other gear (gloves, med supplies, water, etc.)

I actually have 3 separate AO chest rigs that are all set up differently for different tasks and can be swapped from chest rig to plate carrier plackard.

Doing it this way can be more expensive, but it is way easier to set it up exactly how you want it.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Beluga vodka? gross! The Smersh one does look cool. I have been wanting something like that. I have a simple sling 3 mag holder but would enjoy something more robust for when the world goes boogy.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I like to use HSGI Tacos as they fit everything I want to put in them and I can go back and forth from AR to AK mags easy. I like the AO chest rig that they offer as it is MOLLE and therefore modular. If you ever get plates the AO can also be clipped onto the front of many plate carriers so your loadout stays the same and can be worn with or without plates.

My current AO chest rig has 3 HSGI double decker TACO pouches and one "soft taco" pouch for other gear (gloves, med supplies, water, etc.)

I actually have 3 separate AO chest rigs that are all set up differently for different tasks and can be swapped from chest rig to plate carrier plackard.

Doing it this way can be more expensive, but it is way easier to set it up exactly how you want it.

^^^^ This right here ^^^^

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Beluga no bueno? Haha sorry to detail the thread, but are you a vodka guy? Stoli Elit is another of my Russian (via Latvia) favorites, but it costs more than a few rubles to enjoy.

Well color me stupid. i did not know that was a brand. Vodka was my spirit of choice in my younger days and Stoly was a go to. Bottle kept in the freezer and drunk neat. Even killed a bottle with a couple Russians in Moscow while swapping currency illegally. But those days are well behind me.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Check this out... Not a chest rig but might be helpful for someone looking for a way to carry AK magazines.

[video=youtube_share;bs55GeK_Qog]http://youtu.be/bs55GeK_Qog[/video]

UW Gear makes some nice-looking stuff for the armed citizen, not necessarily LEO/Military:

https://uwgearinc.com/

Last edited:

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    spiritus systems MK4 is legit. Good luck finding anything in stock. I like them because you can either build them up or run them slick. They make different mag inserts so you can use the same carrier for all your platforms.

upload images

IUKalash429

Bullet Hose
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Apr 6, 2019
    Rum Ham
    I'm considering picking up a Type 56 rig; what's the advantage of it over Eastern Bloc surplus mag pouches? Can they be used in addition to each other?

The Type 56 is a crude chest rig, so if you actually carry a mag pouch on your belt, the rig might be an advantage due to weight distribution and balance. It also sits rather high on one's chest, so presumably you could rock the rig and a pouch at the same time, though I've never actually seen anyone wear a surplus pouch for serious use. A standard canvas four-cell pouch with loaded steel mags on your hip would be quite cumbersome. Obviously, two or three-cell surplus pouches would be a bit lighter.

If you have a legit need to carry seven or eight loaded mags into whatever scenario you find yourself entering, then I'd seriously recommend investing in something a bit more stout and ergonomic than +/- $25 worth of surplus commie canvas.

WelchyV90

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2020
    Indiana
    Top Bottom