• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    My Wise Men Company splitfix showed up today. Anyone else running one? So far it seems to firm up the brace a bit.
    71a57d2962c75e265066cf3421421325.jpg
    3326ade29628633a52019b842ede5801.jpg
    93ca255b85070b6c10c441d90c844bc8.jpg
    4a6f6522139aa5e20d6f0d7aa4ed730a.jpg

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    From the manufacturer's website..."Designed to prevent the deformation of the SBA3’s rubber arm supports while in storage or transport."

Seems they are concerned the product would be considered a modification that turns your "pistol" into an SBR. I have the same concern.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I'm not sure if "only a few posted concerns on the interweb and the guys that sold it to me said its legal" will fly with the ATF boys and girls. It doesnt look stock to me but you do you.

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    I'm not sure if "only a few posted concerns and the guys that sold it to me said its legal" will fly with the ATF boys and girls. It doesnt look stock to me but you do you.
    My understanding is that the only illegality would be a permanent alteration that changes it's nature. There's nothing permanent about a strap.

Heck the OEM strap is light and flimsy and subject to wear.

But IANAL

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    Tell me, what is the strap's intended purpose? To keep the flaps from folding over like they do? Yes, that can be annoying.

Understand that the design of the brace is legal, as it is intended to be used a certain way. Nothing prevents you from using it differently than its intended purpose, but when you start modifying the original design to make it more effective to be used inconsistently with the original purpose, you run the risk of manufacturing an SBR.

Braces are legal because they are not stocks. Making your brace more like a stock may not result in you facing prison time, but I'm not willing to take that risk. I just deal with the flap folding problem. It's not that big of a deal. Or buy a Tippman T5 brace. They seem to have solved the problem with the SBA3, while not potentially violating any federal laws.

bcannon

QC Dept aka Picky F'er
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Apr 13, 2012
    Boiler Country
    I know yanal, i would talk to one atleast. You do you though. A large amount of eyes read these posts and yes the ATF are some of them. Big gamble to put your pistol pic out there. I like my guns and freedom and dont want to gamble mine away.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    My understanding is that the only illegality would be a permanent alteration that changes it's nature. There's nothing permanent about a strap.

Heck the OEM strap is light and flimsy and subject to wear.

But IANAL

The strap is not the issue. This strap differs from the OEM strap in that holds the flaps together, preventing it from being uses as designed. It's a very fine line, and I don't want to be anywhere near it.

Have you see the KAK Shockwave "brace protector?" Yeah, try and argue that it doesn't turn the brace into a stock. It's not a permanent modification, but it definitely reclassifies the firearm. Hell, while we're at it, a DIAS isn't a permanent modification, can I put one in my rifle without consequence?

SBP-660x440.jpg

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/11/29/ic13-releases-pistol-brace-protector-nfa-compliant/

Dutchisaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 30, 2020
    US
    The strap is not the issue. This strap differs from the OEM strap in that holds the flaps together, preventing it from being uses as designed. It's a very fine line, and I don't want to be anywhere near it.

Have you see the KAK Shockwave "brace protector?" Yeah, try and argue that it doesn't turn the brace into a stock. It's not a permanent modification, but it definitely reclassifies the firearm. Hell, while we're at it, a DIAS isn't a permanent modification, can I put one in my rifle without consequence?

SBP-660x440.jpg

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/11/29/ic13-releases-pistol-brace-protector-nfa-compliant/
    There is a difference between a non permanent change which does not change the function and a DIAS which is designed to change the function of the weapon..

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    At least the SBP states on their website that the "pistol brace protector" turns your gun into an NFA SBR. The splitfix website does not say that...yet...

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    There is a difference between a non permanent change which does not change the function and a DIAS which is designed to change the function of the weapon..

I would argue that the Splitfix does change the function. And so will a zealous prosecutor out to make a point. Like I said, you may be fine, but it's close enough to that line that I'm not willing to find out.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    At least the SBP states on their website that the "pistol brace protector" turns your gun into an NFA SBR. The splitfix website does not say that...yet...

Exactly, and the fact that Splitfix states this is only to be used during transport and storage means they know they're pushing the limit.

It reminds me of these:

s-l1600.jpg

There is a warning not to use it, but we all know exactly what it's for.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Each person is capable of their personal risk tolerance. If you decide it's not for you that's great. Be confident in you choice and spare others the "fine line, not worth the risk" diatribes.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...Be confident in you choice and spare others the "fine line, not worth the risk" diatribes.

I would not feel right if I did not inform a person of the potential risk they are taking. The info is needed to allow them to make an informed choice.

Top Bottom