• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I am trying to put optics on handguns b/c it opened up another level of fun! :)
    I have a 1980s SW 41 that had been drilled and a rail adapted to fit, but I'm not going to that trouble for guns not set up for it:
    - Glock 44
    - DW & SW revolvers from the 80s
    - couple of 1911 .22LR clones

Just bought a Ruger Hunter Single-Six revolver that comes with rings & a built in rail, begging for a scope.
    Also, I have a SW 22A-1 that can shoot better than what my eyes can see with fixed sights. :dunno:
    I thought I'd go with scopes b/c I like the magnification that a red dot doesn't.

My two basic scopes now:
    - old RWS fixed 1.5 that came with my SW 41
    - old Nikon 2.0 fixed I bought used ($90) at an LGS (old sticker still on it of $190).
    I had a thread about red dots and got some great input, but I did end up getting a less expensive one, but I was warned away from a couple problematic ones (thanks!). :ingo:
    I have a $90 Bushnell TRS-25 $50 Dagger Defense red dot (which I like better).
    My needs are basic.
    I can't fathom needing to shoot anything beyond 25 yds. with a handgun, but after I get my outdoor membership, maybe that will change, but I think that's is why God created rifles. :laugh:

I realize that for the experienced members this list is choosing the "lesser of evils." :dunno:
    But, warn me away from the worst & steer me towards the reliable.
    I might even be able to get a used one from someone that has a basic scope when they started out and they have moved up.

I found these in the $50-$150 range when googling from articles recommending value-priced scopes:
    - $63 Simmons ProHunter Truplex Reticle Handgun Scope, 2-6 x 32mm (Silver)
    - $46 NcStar 2.5 X 30 Pistol Scope/Blue Lens/Ring (SPB2530B)
    - WEAVER Classic Silver Handgun Scope 2 x 28 with Dual-X Reticle Bushnell product
    - $59.90 Hammers Long Eye Relief Pistol Scout Scope 2-7 X 32 with Weaver Rings
    - $150 Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7 x 32 Rimfire, Second Focal Plane, 1-inch Tube Riflescope - V-Plex Reticle
    - $150 Nikon 8470 Force XR 2 x 20mm Pistol Scope, Nikoplex reticle, Matte
    - $89.99 BSA Edge Pistol Scope 2-7 x 28mm Duplex Reticle Matte
    - $99.97 Sightmark Core SX 4 x 32 Pistol Scope
    - $27.99 CVLIFE 4 x 32 Compact Rifle Scope Crosshair Optics Hunting Gun Scope with 20mm Free Mounts
    - $53.16 AIM Sports 2-7 X 32 Dual Illuminated Pistol / Scout Scope - Long Eye Relief, w/ Rings JHI2732B, Color: Black, Tube Diameter: 1 in,
    - $50 CenterPoint 2 x 20mm Pistol Scope

There were more recommended, of course ,but pricier ($150 - $400).

Last edited:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    ...I found these in the $50-$150 range when googling from articles recommending value-priced scopes:
    - $63 Simmons ProHunter Truplex Reticle Handgun Scope, 2-6 x 32mm (Silver)
    - $46 NcStar 2.5 X 30 Pistol Scope/Blue Lens/Ring (SPB2530B)
    - WEAVER Classic Silver Handgun Scope 2 x 28 with Dual-X Reticle Bushnell product
    - $59.90 Hammers Long Eye Relief Pistol Scout Scope 2-7 X 32 with Weaver Rings
    - $150 Vortex Optics Crossfire II 2-7 x 32 Rimfire, Second Focal Plane, 1-inch Tube Riflescope - V-Plex Reticle***
    - $150 Nikon 8470 Force XR 2 x 20mm Pistol Scope, Nikoplex reticle, Matte
    - $89.99 BSA Edge Pistol Scope 2-7 x 28mm Duplex Reticle Matte
    - $99.97 Sightmark Core SX 4 x 32 Pistol Scope
    - $27.99 CVLIFE 4 x 32 Compact Rifle Scope Crosshair Optics Hunting Gun Scope with 20mm Free Mounts***
    - $53.16 AIM Sports 2-7 X 32 Dual Illuminated Pistol / Scout Scope - Long Eye Relief, w/ Rings JHI2732B, Color: Black, Tube Diameter: 1 in,
    - $50 CenterPoint 2 x 20mm Pistol Scope

There were more recommended, of course ,but pricier ($150 - $400).

To get this started...

***The two scopes highlighted in red are rifle scopes with short eye relief and are not really usable on a pistol.

The "$59.90 Hammers Long Eye Relief Pistol Scout Scope 2-7 X 32 with Weaver Rings" has eye relief of 13"-17"...again, too close for a pistol.

My opinion only - Unless I planned to primarily shoot from a solid rest, I would stay with 1.5x-2.5x. The view through a 4x scope is terribly shakey for me offhand.

Also check the manufacturers sites for info (if available) on how close a target can be and still be in focus and the distance the parallax is set. I tried to use a 1.25-4x scope for the Ruger MKIV challenge on INGO at 25' and it did not go well. The scope was not in focus at that short range and it's parallax was set considerably farther out (probably 25-50 yards) resulting in a shot being off if my eye wasn't perfectly aligned with the axis of the scope. At that close of a range I shot better with iron sights.

If you are shooting at 25 yards all reasonable quality pistol scopes should do the job but check for the above info if you will predominately be shooting at 7-10 yards.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    To get this started...
    ***The two scopes highlighted in red are rifle scopes with short eye relief and are not really usable on a pistol.
    The "$59.90 Hammers Long Eye Relief Pistol Scout Scope 2-7 X 32 with Weaver Rings" has eye relief of 13"-17"...again, too close for a pistol
    My opinion only - Unless I planned to primarily shoot from a solid rest, I would stay with 1.5x-2.5x. The view through a 4x scope is terribly shakey for me offhand.

Also check the manufacturers sites for info (if available) on how close a target can be and still be in focus and the distance the parallax is set. I tried to use a 1.25-4x scope for the Ruger MKIV challenge on INGO at 25' and it did not go well. The scope was not in focus at that short range and it's parallax was set considerably farther out (probably 25-50 yards) resulting in a shot being off if my eye wasn't perfectly aligned with the axis of the scope. At that close of a range I shot better with iron sights.

If you are shooting at 25 yards all reasonable quality pistol scopes should do the job but check for the above info if you will predominately be shooting at 7-10 yards.

Thanks gmcttr! :thumbsup:
    Confusing since since they showed up under "handgun scopes" but they are for rifles. :scratch:
    I had read where a 1.5 - 2.0 was the best for most applications.

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    You can put a rifle scope on a 22 pistol because the recoil is so low. We do it all the time. My TC wears a Weaver 15x. I've put a 6-24x on a Browning Buckmark. You need to be more open minded.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    BGDave responded to my WTB ad and sold me a Leupold M8 2x20mm EER Handgun Scope.
    He had picked it up used and ended up not needing it: my good fortune!

83YUZG7.jpg

rala

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Evansville
    you can also look at scout scopes. Anything with a 9-11 in eye relief will work. Regular scope with 3in eye relief might work , but it will be very awkward to hold

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    you can also look at scout scopes. Anything with a 9-11 in eye relief will work. Regular scope with 3in eye relief might work , but it will be very awkward to hold

I was surprised at the short distances you mentioned for a handgun scope.
    I measured the eye relief with the Leupold and it seemed to start at 12" (with arms bent) from the scope to my eye and goes to 18-19" in usable eye relief with my arms extended normally.
    But it barely works: it seems to be on the edge of its useful eye relief at 18" with 19" is really pushing it.
    I don't have particularly long arms so I was surprised, with it being an EER, that it didn't have more "extension."
    I've read about some eye reliefs going out to 19" of one that I remember.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up another scope for the SW 22A-1 from BGDave, who I bought the Leopold 2x20 from.
    This was a simple Tasco Pro-Class 4x30.
    I had tried to put one of my red dots on it, but it wouldn't fit on the rail.
    Fortunately, the rings that came with this fit on the older Weaver rail that the 22A-1 had.

iuxNqv2.jpg
    8rsGxrM.jpg

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I shoot pistols at 50 yards one handed. They shoot Bulls Eye pistol matches every month at MCFG. ( I do not know about this year because of the corna virus.)

We shoot .22 and .45's, there is another match for centerfire, most just use the .45 again. All of them are at 25 and 50 yards.

I use a Matchdot Ultra dot on my .45 and a Simmons red dot that looks a lot like the Matchdot. The Matchdot is impressive but expensive.

I ran cheap reflex sight on the .22 for a while, super accurate but it didn't last long, about 1000 rds and it quit working. I have heard many times you should spend as much on your optics as you do your rifle, accurate pistols are the same way in my opinion.

attachment.php
    [/IMG]

IMG_0136.jpg IMG_0247.jpg the last one is at 25 yards

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    USMC ,excellent shooting on that 25 yard target! One hand accuracy shooting is a skill that few achieve outside of Bullseye. I used to shoot an indoor league in Muncie some years ago. Recently a friend of mine convinced me to participate in his online bullseye matches. It made me realize how badly my one hand shooting has deteriorated.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    Thanks, The gun was built and re-built by AllenM, I think that it was his first Bullseye Gun, best money I ever spent on accuracy. The rebuilt was because I blew it up once.:dunno:
    Even with 2 hands 50 yards is a real challenge. Trust me when we move back to 50 my groups get a lot bigger. Good thing the 50 is slow fire. 25 is all rapid and timed fire

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Picked up another scope for the SW 22A-1 from BGDave, who I bought the Leopold 2x20 from.
    This was a simple Tasco Pro-Class 4x30.
    I had tried to put one of my red dots on it, but it wouldn't fit on the rail.
    Fortunately, the rings that came with this fit on the older Weaver rail that the 22A-1 had.

iuxNqv2.jpg
    8rsGxrM.jpg

I spent 3:15 at MCF&G shooting today.
    I tried to get this dialed in, but was at 25 yds. & it was all over the place & didn't seem to respond well to my adjustments.
    I went over to where it was a shorter distance, but I had to stand & lean against a tree b/c you are not allowed to sit down in the pistol bay???
    I got it close, but I'll have to use the indoor range to "fine-tune" it.
    After 200 rounds, I just got tired of messing with it, & moved on to shooting steel.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    It looks like it has an adjustable front objective lens. Did you have it adjusted to the distance you were shooting for the correct parallax? If not, anytime your eye was not perfectly aligned with the scope the shot would be off.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It looks like it has an adjustable front objective lens.
    Did you have it adjusted to the distance you were shooting for the correct parallax?
    If not, anytime your eye was not perfectly aligned with the scope the shot would be off.

It is a fixed 4x30.
    It was difficult to move my eye around to see through the scope: sometimes it would just be blacked out like there was no light.

I didn't think a fixed sight had a parallax that could be adjusted.
    I assume on my rifles, I need to learn how to set the parallax if I'm going to be shooting 100 yds.
    Today on both rifles, I was getting a double upper horizontal line looking through the scope & had to move my eye around to get it to go away.

I know so little about scopes. :dunno:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    In the photo the front (objective end) of the scope looks like it turns and may have yardage markings on it. if it does not turn it is a fixed focus/parallax scope. If it does turn, it is used to adjust the focus/parallax to the distance you are shooting.

As you are learning, to keep the scope from "blacking out", your eye has to be within a narrow range of distance from the eyepiece and centered with the scope. In general the higher the magnification, the smaller this "eye box" is.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    In the photo the front (objective end) of the scope looks like it turns and may have yardage markings on it. if it does not turn it is a fixed focus/parallax scope. If it does turn, it is used to adjust the focus/parallax to the distance you are shooting.

I thought it was just a fine-focus, like on binoculars.
    I'll have to start googling for manuals on the scopes I've got.

As you are learning, to keep the scope from "blacking out", your eye has to be within a narrow range of distance from the eyepiece and centered with the scope.
    In general the higher the magnification, the smaller this "eye box" is.

I probably don't even have the scope in the right placement on the gun rail (usually about 1-2 inches of variance).
    I had read the "eye box" on the variable scopes, but thought that it was supposed to be easier to deal with on a fixed scope.

I thought so too.
    I have several fixed power Burris handgun scopes with parallax adjustable objective.

Sounds like I have quite a learning curve ahead of me.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I would think most handgun scopes set for 50 yards parallax.
    Ran a TC 2.5-7X on a .22 mag Contender no prob.
    My Leupold 2X on a Ruger 22/45 Great Eight was no big deal. Actually it shot good enough it shoulda had a 4x.
    Offhand, 2X............if taking any rest 4X.
    Some variable scopes way more picky than others.
    Got no love of Burris handgun variables.

If not going for tiny groups, a 30mm reddot w a 2moa is pretty decent.
    No eyebox to worry about. No mag to "add" wobble.

Top Bottom