• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Looking at some OWB holsters for primarily range use, with some potential for concealed carry usage as well, for Sig P320 (I have an X-Compact which is a 3.6" slide/barrel, as well as now a Compact which is the 3.9" slide/barrel).

For all my current carry usage for all my guns, I have used hybrid IWB (either Galco King Tuk or Crossbreed) and foresee staying with that 99% of the time, unless there is something spectacular that I find in this OWB space.

I came across the Comp-tac Warrior OWB kydex holster at some suppliers with decent pricing for a potential range holster.

All that said, does anyone have A) experience with this particular holster, B) have some other reasonably priced alternatives that they have 1st hand experience with that they would recommend?

Want something obviously safe, generally prefer some cant to it, sturdy, and hopefully comfortable to wear, close to the body carry/good retention. Not looking to replace my IWB hybrids, but adding to them for some range use, etc.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Have experience with many Comp-Tac holsters and mag carriers. Never had an issue with Comp-Tac gear in terms of quality and function. I don't have the Warrior specifically, but do have a prior similar model Comp-Tac OWB holster (don't remember what it was called). Have had it for years. No issues. Use often (more so than my IWB options these days).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a different model Comp-tac for my 1911. It works fine. That warrior looks interesting. Looks like it could be more minimalist than what I'm using.

That Prerun looks interesting. I was going to look at the Phantom based on some reviews but couldn't find it. Apparently the Prerun has replaced it. Too bad they don't have one for my M&P.:(

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks fellas. Saw that Midway had them for a decent deal so will check it out further now. Also looking at a Crossbreed drop slide on the CB seconds site as a potential.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Looks like a standard OWB pancake kydex holster. They really are all just about the same. Comp Tac makes good stuff I’m sure it would serve you well. I pretty much only use Raven’s Perun now. Can’t beat them for the money IMO. Not sure if it will fit both or not.

https://rcsgear.com/perun-owb-holster-sig-p-320c-and-x-carry/

Interesting, will check it out also. Price certainly seems to be right, given that I really just want this for range use.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Thanks fellas. Saw that Midway had them for a decent deal so will check it out further now. Also looking at a Crossbreed drop slide on the CB seconds site as a potential.

Keep us posted. I don't really need to replace my Bravo for my M&P, but there are a couple things I'm not crazy about.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Keep us posted. I don't really need to replace my Bravo for my M&P, but there are a couple things I'm not crazy about.

Will do, still looking between the Comp-tac, the Raven mentioned above, and the Crossbreed drop slide. I've always carried IWB, so picking an extra range holster OWB is new territory.
    One of the things I have liked so much with the IWB, hybrid holsters over the years is the ability to remove the entire gun and holster without removing the belt, which won't happen on one of these for OWB (and understandably so as the IWB also has the tension of the belt/pants/against the body to retain it, vs not having that on OWB).

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Will do, still looking between the Comp-tac, the Raven mentioned above, and the Crossbreed drop slide. I've always carried IWB, so picking an extra range holster OWB is new territory.
    One of the things I have liked so much with the IWB, hybrid holsters over the years is the ability to remove the entire gun and holster without removing the belt, which won't happen on one of these for OWB (and understandably so as the IWB also has the tension of the belt/pants/against the body to retain it, vs not having that on OWB).

I have gotten used to threading the belt since I only carried IWB for a short time. Sometimes I think I'd like to have some type of paddle set up so I can remove it at times, especially if I'm in and out of places where I need to shed the pistol. (Like this morning; I'm heading to the chiropractor so I need to remove my holster so it's not in the way of me being adjusted on the table).

My concern with a paddle is how the pistol sits. My only paddle is a Comp-Tac for my 1911 and when I am wearing it, it tilts in towards my body making grabbing it a little more difficult. It might be body shape but my pancake style with threaded belt loops don't do this.

And this is why many of us have extra holsters laying around.:) We keep looking for the Goldilocks set up.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have gotten used to threading the belt since I only carried IWB for a short time. Sometimes I think I'd like to have some type of paddle set up so I can remove it at times, especially if I'm in and out of places where I need to shed the pistol. (Like this morning; I'm heading to the chiropractor so I need to remove my holster so it's not in the way of me being adjusted on the table).

My concern with a paddle is how the pistol sits. My only paddle is a Comp-Tac for my 1911 and when I am wearing it, it tilts in towards my body making grabbing it a little more difficult. It might be body shape but my pancake style with threaded belt loops don't do this.

And this is why many of us have extra holsters laying around.:) We keep looking for the Goldilocks set up.

Understood, and I had a few old holsters myself, but honestly when I came into the IWB hybrids along the carry journey with a decent belt and that has been my Goldilocks setup for most everything, and I just bought one of those for everything I had/have/acquire that I intend to carry. And I do practice drawing from IWB at times at the range, but would like an OWB holster for additional range usage.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Understood, and I had a few old holsters myself, but honestly when I came into the IWB hybrids along the carry journey with a decent belt and that has been my Goldilocks setup for most everything, and I just bought one of those for everything I had/have/acquire that I intend to carry. And I do practice drawing from IWB at times at the range, but would like an OWB holster for additional range usage.

Do you wear your 2.0 Compact IWB as well?

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008

you may look into getting some speed ease clips to replace your loops with if you want OWB with easy on/off. Multi makes really good holsters as well.

https://www.multiholsters.com/shop/accessories/speedease-clips-1-5-1-75/

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    does any one have any experience with NSR OWB holsters? I saw a guy wearing one at a class and it seemed to ride nice and tight. But they are pricey for kydex and the lead time is long right now.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    WebSnyper, I just picked up a CompTac international for a G17 to go with the one I have for an M&P. Quality holster. Never let me down, and good customer service.

I also just picked up one of these from Midway USA: Safariland 7377 7TS ALS Concealment Belt Slide Holster Right Hand S&W M&P Fullsize 9mm. So far I like it. Retention, but sits close to the body with good adjustability.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I use it on a Tuff comp belt for Action Pistol so I don't think my use case is a good example for general open carry use. Frankly I wouldn't use it for general use open carry, as it would sit wide of body, and would not provide enough retention for my taste in open carry.

I had A chance to speak with Comp Tac at the 2019 NRAAM, who recommended the International for competition use, but not carry. They did recommend another of their holsters for open carry, but I don't remember which model.

I am training with the ALS now, and find it very intuitive to use. I also like the way it sits when canted forward.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I use it on a Tuff comp belt for Action Pistol so I don't think my use case is a good example for general open carry use. Frankly I wouldn't use it for general use open carry, as it would sit wide of body, and would not provide enough retention for my taste in open carry.

I had A chance to speak with Comp Tac at the 2019 NRAAM, who recommended the International for competition use, but not carry. They did recommend another of their holsters for open carry, but I don't remember which model.

I am training with the ALS now, and find it very intuitive to use. I also like the way it sits when canted forward.

Thanks.

I'm looking at a NSR for my 2.0 Compact for CC but they don't have a return policy if you don't like it. And I have decided that I won't buy holsters anymore if they don't offer a satisfaction guarantee. Even Tucker Holster will let you return their custom made leather holsters if you are not happy.

So, I will wait until I find someone who has one that I can check out closely. Unless I find something else but my Bravo is fine, I'd just like better.:)

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So I did pick up a DropSlide holster from Crossbreed (got it from their seconds site) to check out.

Like this:

Having been pretty much 100% of all my carry being IWB with a hybrid holster, this is a bit interesting.
    I'll have to see how I like it.

I definitely notice it more than my IWB holster (somewhat I'm sure due to how far I slide my IWB back) and it prints much more (which is not a big concern as I was looking at this mostly for range use). The inability to take it on and off unless I remove my belt is a new aspect to me, but would be with any OWB, unless I got the clips that were posted above on a holster, but I guess I wasn't prepared for just how tight it would be to remove from the belt.

So school me a bit on OWB holsters, as I would need to push this holster back to probably the 4 O'clock position (love handles), do you guys just straddle the belt loop if needed with the holster but run the belt through the first holster slot, then through the pants belt loop and then through the next holster slot? Not trying to be obtuse here, just have carried for years and years IWB, with a hybrid holster with clips, and not OWB using a holster with slots.

I'll try this out a bit and see if it will work for me.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom