Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Shopping for a .22LR Scope

    I am looking for a scope for my 10/22 for 50 / 100 yds with very little use at 25 yds indoor.

    Thoughts on the below scopes?
    How about Mil Dot V/S BD Type Reticles?

    Thanks in advance!

    Mueller 8.5-25×44 AO Tactical ? Mueller Rifle Scopes

    Mueller APV 6-18X44 AO ? Mueller Rifle Scopes

  2. #2
    User Unknown

    User Info Menu

    Shooting at what?
    President's Hundred
    A2 Service Rifle High Master XC
    Distinguished Rifleman
    1,000 yd A2 Service Rifle Expert
    Incessant Tinkerer

  3. #3
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    What's your budget, and what are your goals? Trying for groups? Plinking empty soda cans?

    Ingo loves Vortex, and for good reason. I do, too. I've got a pile of them. They're a known quantity.

    I'd say your desire for 18-25X max magnification might be a little misguided. For a 10-22, not sure you'll be able to take advantage of that much power. I always say I'd rather have a good clear 3-9X or 4-12X than a muddy looking 6-24X with mushy turrets that don't track.

    I've got a 4-12X40 AO Crossfire II on a .22 thats just about perfect. 4X is good on the low end if you want to pop a squirrel or blackbird, and 12X on the top end let's me aim well within what the rifle is capable of for accuracy. It tracks well as I dial it up 28 moa up from a 50 yard zero to hit at 200 yards, and is spot on when I go back down. Its what I'd recommend for anyone wanting a a reasonably priced, but quality scope for a .22.

    I'm primarily a target shooter, and I rarely use a BDC reticle. I dial for everything (which is why I prioritize good tracking). A BDC is only correct for one type of ammo in a given set
    of conditions.
    CMP Distinguished Rifleman #2464, Midrange Prone: Highmaster, Across the Course - Master

  4. #4
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Sorry about that, I meant to say what I would be shooting....targets only with this one.
    Budget is ideally under $150 ish, this 10-22 is kinda a budget build.

    Quote Originally Posted by jrh84 View Post

    I've got a 4-12X40 AO Crossfire II on a .22 thats just about perfect. 4X is good on the low end if you want to pop a squirrel or blackbird, and 12X on the top end let's me aim well within what the rifle is capable of for accuracy. It tracks well as I dial it up 28 moa up from a 50 yard zero to hit at 200 yards, and is spot on when I go back down. Its what I'd recommend for anyone wanting a a reasonably priced, but quality scope for a .22.
    Are you able to see .22 holes in paper at 12X ?

    I actually have been leaning toward the 6X18 but I guess its coming down to which reticle I prefer as the price difference isn't a factor.
    I was also thinking the 6x would be more useful indoors at 25 yards if I wanted.

  5. #5
    Marksman

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Plinker556 View Post
    Are you able to see .22 holes in paper at 12X ?

    I actually have been leaning toward the 6X18 but I guess its coming down to which reticle I prefer as the price difference isn't a factor.
    I was also thinking the 6x would be more useful indoors at 25 yards if I wanted.
    At 100 yards, sometimes, if the light is right. If I've got a blob of shots (3-5 or more in the general area), I can definitely see them. I can see them better at 12X through the vortex than at 18X on a cheap Bushnell.

    My point earlier was exactly that....you can see more through a better quality 12X than a crappy 18X. To be 100% honest, I have no idea where Mueller falls in the quality spectrum, so don't take this as me poo-pooing them sight-unseen

    This is a bit over your $150 budget, but would without a doubt do what you're wanting to do.

    The BDC reticle works. It's thin enough for precise target shooting, and has the BDC subtensions if you want them. I ignore them 99% of the time.

    https://aaoptics.com/CROSSFIRE-II-6-...DER_p_113.html
    CMP Distinguished Rifleman #2464, Midrange Prone: Highmaster, Across the Course - Master

  6. #6
    Master

    User Info Menu

    Vortex makes decent optics. You don't need the higher end that they produce. Get ahold of AAoptics on here as he DID have some nice refurbs that carry the warranty.
    Local tribal warlord

    I am Asher's son.

    Body of a 56 yr old. Skeleton of a 90 yr old

  7. #7
    Master johntheplinker's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    If you've got good glass a 22 hole at 100 yards is visible at 6x. Another brand you might want to take a look at is Hawke if $ is a consideration. I've got a couple of them and they're fairly decent scopes for the money. Oh, and a lot of the lower priced Chinese scopes are made in the same factory, with the same glass and internals, they just get a different label on them.
    Tulta munille! HAKKAA PÄÄLLE

  8. #8
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Thanks for the help and advice, I have a Crossfire II 6X18 on the way.

  9. #9
    Master Tyler-The-Piker's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    I have 4 Vortex optics (all from A&A) and love them.
    Had the crossfire II rimfire 2-7×32 on it but now.have the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9×40 on my 10-22 and I've been very happy with it.
    sauce will thicken upon standing

  10. #10
    Plinker

    User Info Menu

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler-The-Piker View Post
    I have 4 Vortex optics (all from A&A) and love them.
    Had the crossfire II rimfire 2-7×32 on it but now.have the Vortex Crossfire II 3-9×40 on my 10-22 and I've been very happy with it.
    Good to hear, I was just having a hard time justifying the additional cost for this build. This is going to be shooting mostly bulk ammo for the foreseeable future, until things improve with ammo availability and cost. So it's a budget build that can, and will, develop into something better down the road.
    I really like my Vortex Strike Eagle 1x6 I have on another rifle, hopefully the Crossfire II will be just as good.


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •