• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    anyone know of any aftermarket safeties for the S&W Shield? The stock safety is so slim fit to the gun I have troubles finding it with my thumb sometimes.

Thanks

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Yeah they take considerable effort to manipulate and aren't very easy to get your thumb on. Had one several years ago and my choice was to disengage it and forget about it. As long as you carry in a good holster and keep your finger off the trigger it should be completely safe.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

SPB Links

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Yeah they take considerable effort to manipulate and aren't very easy to get your thumb on. Had one several years ago and my choice was to disengage it and forget about it. As long as you carry in a good holster and keep your finger off the trigger it should be completely safe.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

SPB Links

Kinda the direction I was leaning toward. I carry in a kydex holster so the trigger is always protected. I'm sure some would feel uneasy carrying a gun with the safety off.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    The safety on mine stays off all the time. I've never had it accidentally engage "safe".

I would like to remove it though as it's an unnecessary failure point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    The safety on mine stays off all the time. I've never had it accidentally engage "safe".

I would like to remove it though as it's an unnecessary failure point.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Removing it would honestly make sense. I could see it causing a major problem if you keep it off and it accidentally gets engaged at the wrong time. Its so small its like they put it on there just to say it has one. Its not very practical.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Removing the Shield safety isn't as easy as removing it from a standard M&P - but it's still not too terribly difficult if you dare.

Echoing what others have said - mine just stays "off" since there's no way I could actually use it.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    Removing the Shield safety isn't as easy as removing it from a standard M&P - but it's still not too terribly difficult if you dare.

Echoing what others have said - mine just stays "off" since there's no way I could actually use it.

Thanks for the feedback. It's nice to know I'm not the only one with this issue. I've struggled with the idea of carrying with the safety off. Its been hammered into my head since I was a kid that the safety "stays on until you're ready to shoot".

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I was actually looking for a no safety Shield 45. However, the one i bought with a safety that i never use was $50 cheaper at the time than the no safety version. So I bought it and I love it.

HoosierHunter07

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 22, 2020
    Borden
    I was actually looking for a no safety Shield 45. However, the one i bought with a safety that i never use was $50 cheaper at the time than the no safety version. So I bought it and I love it.

So they make a no safety version? I wasn't aware. I bought mine from palmetto state armory last year when they were clearing them out for the 2.0s. I bought it for $250, they have them now at $380. They must be raking it in on the pandemic panic.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    So they make a no safety version? I wasn't aware. I bought mine from palmetto state armory last year when they were clearing them out for the 2.0s. I bought it for $250, they have them now at $380. They must be raking it in on the pandemic panic.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_info.php/products_id/19664

Sold out now but they did have one. They were all much higher for some reason maybe demand for no safety drove it up.

I tried to find an aftermarket extended safety for it I just can't find one for you.

seldon14

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    anyone know of any aftermarket safeties for the S&W Shield? The stock safety is so slim fit to the gun I have troubles finding it with my thumb sometimes.

Thanks

All depends on hand size, but I find using the middle joint on my thumb, rather than the end of my thumb works much better.

Top Bottom