"Universal" light mount and light for shotgun. Tearing my hair out.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    I've googled and googled and everything is either reviews of model specific fore ends and the like or "content-marketing" to chinese made stuff. Willing to pay for some quality here.

Just need something that is vaguely universal, takes 18650s, don't need pressure switch/cord.

Anyone have a solid suggestion?

Winchester SXP if it matters here.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Hey, thanks. This is *exactly* what I was looking for. Their lights are domestic too, which is cool. Think I'll follow your lead on the stream light as well.

Finding a really good mount was driving me nuts, thanks.

I’ve used the elzetta one for years. Never had issues. I think I have a streamlight polytac on it but you can put whatever light you want depending on the diameter. Not sure if it will fit your Winchester or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Elzetta-ZSM-T-Flashlight-Remington-Thumbscrew/dp/B004GYIE5E

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Thanks again for the tip/confirmation on this. Got a stream light and the elzetta mount ordered now :)

I’ve used the elzetta one for years. Never had issues. I think I have a streamlight polytac on it but you can put whatever light you want depending on the diameter. Not sure if it will fit your Winchester or not.

https://www.amazon.com/Elzetta-ZSM-T-Flashlight-Remington-Thumbscrew/dp/B004GYIE5E

+100 I have the very same setup. I am very happy with mine. Never had any problems with it.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour

My HD shotgun uses the Elzetta and Streamlight Polytac. The setup got
    tossed around pretty good at GunSite and survived just fine. But you need an extended tube to mount it. My other shotgun just has an older Streamlight TLR1 mounted to a rail section on the MagPul Forearm. I haven’t encountered any problems here either except for accidentally turning it on and draining the batteries.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Hrm. Elzetta site says 1.75" of exposed barrel/magtube which I've got, but barely.

If it doesn't work I'll just get an extender I suppose.

Do you have a card or side saddle?

+100 I have the very same setup. I am very happy with mine. Never had any problems with it.

My HD shotgun uses the Elzetta and Streamlight Polytac. The setup got
    tossed around pretty good at GunSite and survived just fine. But you need an extended tube to mount it. My other shotgun just has an older Streamlight TLR1 mounted to a rail section on the MagPul Forearm. I haven’t encountered any problems here either except for accidentally turning it on and draining the batteries.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Hrm. Elzetta site says 1.75" of exposed barrel/magtube which I've got, but barely.

If it doesn't work I'll just get an extender I suppose.

Do you have a card or side saddle?

All shotguns have an Ares Gear shell panel/card. I used alcohol to clean the side of the guns and apply the Velcro. Never had one come off yet. I like shells brass down while my son prefers brass up, works either way. Since I keep the home defense gun in a shotlock I have to remove the shell card from the gun. So it is a pretty handy way to keep extra ammo.

Winchester SXP. 1) Look at the XS brand big dot sights to replace the front bead. A screw in fiber optic Might also be an option. But a shotgun needs sights. 2) Shell Card velcro to the side or stock mounted butt cuff. It’s extra ammo, doesn’t have to be expensive just functional. 3) a light. 4) extra points for a sling. A simple 2 point sling is fine. The gun has sling studs so use them. I remove mine for the house gun but otherwise shotguns wear a sling.

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    Glad to hear another vote from Area -- that's where I'm getting mine from. Was planning on getting some bandolier slings because why not and the times were living in.

I'll check out XS, thanks. Fwiw turns out the sxp does cycle the Aguila minis. I want to out more through before in comfy though -- had two jams today but I'm pretty sure it was me short stroking.

Out if curiosity, where/how do you practice with it? Load up on slugs or bird at a DNR range or? I'm used to shooting shotguns in a very, very different way but I'm planning on practicing enough with it that I've got some muscle memory so as not to short stroke. Thinking about maybe grabbing a choked barrel so I could use the same gun for some sporting clays and have to do fast cycles, not sure.

All shotguns have an Ares Gear shell panel/card. I used alcohol to clean the side of the guns and apply the Velcro. Never had one come off yet. I like shells brass down while my son prefers brass up, works either way. Since I keep the home defense gun in a shotlock I have to remove the shell card from the gun. So it is a pretty handy way to keep extra ammo.

Winchester SXP. 1) Look at the XS brand big dot sights to replace the front bead. A screw in fiber optic Might also be an option. But a shotgun needs sights. 2) Shell Card velcro to the side or stock mounted butt cuff. It’s extra ammo, doesn’t have to be expensive just functional. 3) a light. 4) extra points for a sling. A simple 2 point sling is fine. The gun has sling studs so use them. I remove mine for the house gun but otherwise shotguns wear a sling.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Glad to hear another vote from Area -- that's where I'm getting mine from. Was planning on getting some bandolier slings because why not and the times were living in.

I'll check out XS, thanks. Fwiw turns out the sxp does cycle the Aguila minis. I want to out more through before in comfy though -- had two jams today but I'm pretty sure it was me short stroking.

Out if curiosity, where/how do you practice with it? Load up on slugs or bird at a DNR range or? I'm used to shooting shotguns in a very, very different way but I'm planning on practicing enough with it that I've got some muscle memory so as not to short stroke. Thinking about maybe grabbing a choked barrel so I could use the same gun for some sporting clays and have to do fast cycles, not sure.

Avoid the bandolier sling. You don’t need the extra weight swinging around. A simple strap is all you need. KISS.

Avoid the mini shells. Just stay with good old fashioned 2 3/4” shells. Avoid all the gimmicky stuff like slugs mixed with buck, mini shells, dragons breath, rock salt, nails, balls with little chains, expanding saw blades of death,........... Just stay with good quality 8 or 9 pellets OO buck & rifled slugs. Make sure to pattern the buckshot and know how your slugs shoot. Bird shot works fine for practice.

Top Bottom