• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Not sure of your budget but by the choice of firearms, I'm guessing you don't mind spending a little on quality gear.

NSR is a good brand for Kydex. I have heard they sit nice and tight. https://www.nsrtactical.com/collections/inside-waistband/products/custom-cth-owb-holster

I like Tucker for leather. https://tuckergunleather.com/hf1-belt-holster/

I don't own a NSR right now cuz I think they are a little pricey for Kydex and I won't buy one until I try one since they won't let you return them which I don't agree with. Even Tucker with a custom made leather holster will take it back if you don't like it.

The above would be for daily wear and training. If you are looking for a competition holster, you might want something different.

I have a Bravo and I like it. Definitely good for the price. And his satisfaction guarantee is really good. I think you can use it for 30 days and beat the crap out of it and he will still take it back if you don't like it.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    That is way too vague of a question. Drove me crazy when I was in the business. What’s the holster going to be Used for? What kind of material do you want? How do you want it to attach to your belt?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    No matter the holster you choose, make sure you have a proper gun belt. Either leather with a stiffener, a tactical woven belt or something similar. It's the foundation of a holster. I'll recommend the Daltech Force Super BioBelt. It's all polymer but looks like leather and holds up. Best ~$50 I've spent.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not sure of your budget but by the choice of firearms, I'm guessing you don't mind spending a little on quality gear.

NSR is a good brand for Kydex. I have heard they sit nice and tight. https://www.nsrtactical.com/collections/inside-waistband/products/custom-cth-owb-holster

I like Tucker for leather. https://tuckergunleather.com/hf1-belt-holster/

I don't own a NSR right now cuz I think they are a little pricey for Kydex and I won't buy one until I try one since they won't let you return them which I don't agree with. Even Tucker with a custom made leather holster will take it back if you don't like it.

The above would be for daily wear and training. If you are looking for a competition holster, you might want something different.

I have a Bravo and I like it. Definitely good for the price. And his satisfaction guarantee is really good. I think you can use it for 30 days and beat the crap out of it and he will still take it back if you don't like it.

Wow, and the extra premium for the fast pass to jump the line is a bit crazy on the NSR as well.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wow, and the extra premium for the fast pass to jump the line is a bit crazy on the NSR as well.

I’m really not sure how or why they want so much for their holsters but they seem to be selling them. I saw one in the wild and it just looked like it hugged the body better.

I talked to NSR about trying one, but they only offered me to stop by their facility in Lexington KY. I do get there on business, but not during this COVID-19 crap.

I’ll probably just end up with another Tucker one day.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I just bought a KT Mech https://kt-mech.com/index.html
    for range and general use, $50, two weeks, custom made to order. They want pictures of your gun, especially if it has a light or optic on it. Excellent service. Also fits safariland stuff for mounting.
    Otherwise I always look for Safariland ALS with the suede liner inside.

They look interesting. I like that they have one for a M&P 2.0 compact with a 4” barrel vs Bravo setting theirs at 4.25”, probably to fit more than one model.

1/4” may not be much but it could be the difference between poking out from under a shirt or staying concealed.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    No matter the holster you choose, make sure you have a proper gun belt. Either leather with a stiffener, a tactical woven belt or something similar. It's the foundation of a holster. I'll recommend the Daltech Force Super BioBelt. It's all polymer but looks like leather and holds up. Best ~$50 I've spent.

People always overlook the belt. People laugh and poke fun at me for insisting they buy a belt. Then when they try to actually draw the gun it is the holsters fault, the equipment fails. Those that do buy the belt always thank me later. The lesson here is buy a belt. Best holster in the world is useless without the support system to back it.

I have pretty much switched to Kydex. It doesn’t look as nice but my functional. CompTac, Raven and Bravo Concealment all work fine. Although I don’t think Raven is making their Phantom anymore.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    People always overlook the belt. People laugh and poke fun at me for insisting they buy a belt. Then when they try to actually draw the gun it is the holsters fault, the equipment fails. Those that do buy the belt always thank me later. The lesson here is buy a belt. Best holster in the world is useless without the support system to back it.

I have pretty much switched to Kydex. It doesn’t look as nice but my functional. CompTac, Raven and Bravo Concealment all work fine. Although I don’t think Raven is making their Phantom anymore.

Yeah, I couldn't find the Phantom when I looked. Prerun maybe replaced it?

On the belt issue, I took an intermediate Pistol class and a relatively new shooter(female) showed up with a decent holster or her Sig 238 on a skinny, blingy belt. Even though that pistol is small, that holster was moving all over, hanging down and out and just being a distraction for the shooter. It didn't help that she was a little "hippy" and could have used a little more tension in general.

The good news is the instructor had a nice conversation with her, after he complemented her taste of attire, on the need to have a proper gun belt.

I have a Daltech Bull Belt which seems to work fine even though I don't think it has any kind of "stiffener" sandwiched in. I also have a 5.11 belt that I bought when I thought I was going to get into action pistol sports. I think it works well also.

Do I need more belt?

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I don’t do leather on a striker gun. Too many NDs on reholstering. Ymmv.

Carried my p10s in a Harry’s all through MT, WY, SD, etc on vacation. Even with lots of hiking it carried very well. Not sure how that helps you find an OWB holster for a much larger g21, but there it is. I sold my g20sf in part because carrying it wasn’t working out. Too thick and heavy for me, but I’m a wimp.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I don’t do leather on a striker gun. Too many NDs on reholstering. Ymmv.

Carried my p10s in a Harry’s all through MT, WY, SD, etc on vacation. Even with lots of hiking it carried very well. Not sure how that helps you find an OWB holster for a much larger g21, but there it is. I sold my g20sf in part because carrying it wasn’t working out. Too thick and heavy for me, but I’m a wimp.

Your comment on striker fired guns and leather has me curious. Why does that type of system cause more ND's? Is it because there generally is no thumb safety or decocker?

My striker fired gun has a 4+ lb trigger pull. Should I be concerned? I have a Kydex and was thinking of going leather with my 2.0 Compact.

I will add this: I am not one of those guys that thinks it's impressive to be able to display unload, show clear, hammer down and holster in .75 seconds. I have no reason to hurry my holstering. And I see no issue with looking at my holster when re-holstering. If I'm putting my gun away, any threats are neutralized.

Harry's doesn't have OWB yet, but that model they have for a J-Frame looks interesting. I wonder if I could be okay with it.... I tried IWB with my Shield and it didn't work out.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Your comment on striker fired guns and leather has me curious. Why does that type of system cause more ND's? Is it because there generally is no thumb safety or decocker?

My striker fired gun has a 4+ lb trigger pull. Should I be concerned? I have a Kydex and was thinking of going leather with my 2.0 Compact.

I will add this: I am not one of those guys that thinks it's impressive to be able to display unload, show clear, hammer down and holster in .75 seconds. I have no reason to hurry my holstering. And I see no issue with looking at my holster when re-holstering. If I'm putting my gun away, any threats are neutralized.

Harry's doesn't have OWB yet, but that model they have for a J-Frame looks interesting. I wonder if I could be okay with it.... I tried IWB with my Shield and it didn't work out.

Cheap leather holsters can curl up as they wear out. The corner of the holster catches the trigger when reholstering. The fix is a holster with reinforced mouth so it keeps its shape. But that makes the holster thicker.

Top Bottom