• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    I dont know much about the rmr, but my eyes are telling me its time to learn. I know trijicon is as close to bullet-proof as there is. But are there models to avoid? They have battery versions and dual illuminated. Should I look at one more than the other? Thanks.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I'm a fan of the dual power option, but keep in mind the tritium will eventually dim and you will be left with only one power source.

For me, the triangle reticle made more sense. Sight in the tip of the triangle for distance. For close, cover the target with the triangle. I prefer this to a single dot of any size...

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Look into Vortex and Holosun, I find both preferable to an RMR AND a better value $$$$ spent.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    I dont know much about the rmr, but my eyes are telling me its time to learn. I know trijicon is as close to bullet-proof as there is. But are there models to avoid? They have battery versions and dual illuminated. Should I look at one more than the other? Thanks.

RMR is ls specific brand model, just getting that out of the way. As far as a mini RDS goes, what do you want to do with it? If it is going on a plinker or range gun that opens up a whole world, if going on a carry gun that narrows it down. Just my opinion but if you are not someone who does a lot of practice (dry or live) I would not put one on a carry gun. I can always tell the people who just put them on as they take some time searching for the dot. If you are willing to put in the time they can be a big asset. There is a reason they are taking over the action shooting sports

I would strongly recommend checking out Aaron Cowan's white paper on the subject as well as videos from Scott Jedlinski.

As far as specific brands, they all fail at some point. Some more than others, to some extent you get what you pay for.

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    This would be put on an M&P 2.0 Compact, 4". I have a gen 1 holosun 507 on a 1.0 9c, no complaints on it, just been dry firing, havent carried it yet. I got it because of price vs. features it has. But the gen 2 version is over $300, so the cost savings vs. the rmr are not as great. I know iron sights never fail, but vision does, so figured I would look into the rmr more this time.

Up close, flash sight picture, minute of meth-head shooting, is still faster with irons, but deliberate, really need the front sight focused shooting, is very slow now too.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    I have an rmr06 type 2 3.25moa, and a SRO 2.5moa. The SRO will be faster for someone learning to pick up a dot on the draw. Jaegerwerks has an shroud that covers it and makes it much more durable for carry If that’s your thing.

I also use both of these for shooting passive under night vision. The adjustable dot is a must for that.

Vortex and holosun are made overseas. The Rmr line is made right here in america. If that’s something you care about trijicon is probably want you want.

If you have the time pull up sage dynamics on YouTube. He has a lot of great reviews. Knows his ****, and isn’t really giving you an “opinion”. He has sampled the majority of what’s out there and put them through some serious testing. More than I have, and probably more than anyone that is going to comment on your post.

cheeers. Buy American if you can....

JTL165

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 26, 2020
    Central
    If you're committed to the Trijicon go with the manual adjust models. As far as dot size goes i would say it is personal preference. To me the rm09 (1moa) is not any more difficult to pick up than the 3.25 or 6 moa dots.

With that being said the holosun 507 v2 is the best open emitter option right now in my opinion. External battery compartment and the circle dot reticle is large enough to make a difference in acquiring the dot more reliable for newer red dot users.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have a Vortex and a Holosun. This past weekend I tried the RMR. For my eyes anyway, it had the sharpest dot. Very round.

Had I actually looked through the Holosun and RMR back to back, I would have ponied up the extra and bought the RMR.

Not a big deal as the mounting pattern is the same, so when I'm ready I'll replace the Holosun with the RMR and stick the Holosun as an offset back up sight on my AR.:)

rlfrye

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    The Tuck
    Thanks for the replies, sounds like adjustable is preferred over the dual illuminated. I got my holosun to see if a dot worked with my eyes, planning to go to the rmr eventually. I can put the holosun on a range gun when I get a rmr.

7N6-Hound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2020
    Indy
    I would look at Holosun. Built like brick ****houses and you can get Green Dot (better) or Gold if you have astigmatism

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

Get the RM06 type 2. This is the adjustable battery powered model.

Change the battery yearly on your birthday, you never shut it off. You will prefer the bigger 6moa dot at first, but after briefly learning how to use an RDS handgun, you will prefer the 3moa model more.

I would look at Holosun. Built like brick ****houses and you can get Green Dot (better) or Gold if you have astigmatism

While not bad, it is made in china, and I don't think any American wants to support china right now.

Also, green is flatly inferior to red. Gold is for if you are colorblind.

Red does not constrict your pupils in low light, allowing you to keep your ability to see in the dark. Green causes your pupils to constrict, making it harder to see in the dark.
    If you were wondering why almost all illumination on sights is red, this is the reason.

Last edited:
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    I just went knew deep in the rmr section and finding out that it can be a bit confusing at times. Lots of info out there to help. I just bought both Liberty and Justice from Swampfox Optics. Needing a plate for my Sig 320X because Sig is difficult as always. Glock 19MOS already had the plate I needed, so that was easy. Now it’s time for taller sights for co witness, I’ve been reading a lot and it keeps taking me to Dawson for sights and Springer for the plate.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I just went knew deep in the rmr section and finding out that it can be a bit confusing at times. Lots of info out there to help. I just bought both Liberty and Justice from Swampfox Optics. Needing a plate for my Sig 320X because Sig is difficult as always. Glock 19MOS already had the plate I needed, so that was easy. Now it’s time for taller sights for co witness, I’ve been reading a lot and it keeps taking me to Dawson for sights and Springer for the plate.

Not sure if this plate will also fit the X-Compact or not: https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/ac32088 Though I also haven't found it in stock as yet either.

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    I have ran the trijicon RMR 06 for years and love that thing! It is bombproof and certainly easy to adjust for day or night! I have also ran red doc’s with great luck but always find myself loving the trijicon! For me it is worth the extra money

Top Bottom