• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I've never bought a scope before and am now looking at getting two. One will go on a 22lr semi auto and the other on a 22 magnum lever action. I've seen prices from $15-$1,000. These will be used for mostly plinking and occasionally for varmint hunting. Can you get decent scopes for these uses in the $50 - $80 range. If so can you recommend one and if not what do I need and what price range should I be in?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I've got a couple Simmons pro target scopes on 22lrs. They work great. Zero issues thru thousands of rounds. They come complete with flip up lens covers and scope rings. The Pro Target line has exposed Target turrets, which I really like. Vary in price, depending on magnification, from about $40-$100

larcat

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 27, 2020
    NWI
    I got a Vortex Diamondback rimfire from AAOptics on here, refurbed. They don't always have them but couldn't be happier with it.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    I've got a couple Simmons pro target scopes on 22lrs. They work great. Zero issues thru thousands of rounds. They come complete with flip up lens covers and scope rings. The Pro Target line has exposed Target turrets, which I really like. Vary in price, depending on magnification, from about $40-$100

I got a Vortex Diamondback rimfire from AAOptics on here, refurbed. They don't always have them but couldn't be happier with it.

Thanks for the input guys. It looks like I'll be able to find something that will work in my desired price range. I'll check out your recommendations.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    If you can stretch your budget a little I can recommend the Vortex Crossfire II and the Hawke Vantage series for a rimfire specific scope. Glass is o.k. in both, nothing to write home about but serviceable, mechanicals can be iffy if you're doing a lot of knob turning but if you're a set it and forget person they are fine. One thing in particular I like about the Hawke scopes is they have a lot more options with reticles, illumination, and magnification.
    Now if you're open to a scope with adjustable objective/side focus, those same scope lines have a ton of options from which to choose for just a very few $ more than a rimfire specific scope. If that case, I'd recommend Vortex over Hawke simply because they are a better established company with a legit history of customer service.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    If you can stretch your budget a little I can recommend the Vortex Crossfire II and the Hawke Vantage series for a rimfire specific scope. Glass is o.k. in both, nothing to write home about but serviceable, mechanicals can be iffy if you're doing a lot of knob turning but if you're a set it and forget person they are fine. One thing in particular I like about the Hawke scopes is they have a lot more options with reticles, illumination, and magnification.
    Now if you're open to a scope with adjustable objective/side focus, those same scope lines have a ton of options from which to choose for just a very few $ more than a rimfire specific scope. If that case, I'd recommend Vortex over Hawke simply because they are a better established company with a legit history of customer service.

I'll check those out also. It sounds like I need to do some research on the options and adjustments available on scopes before I make any decisions.

jstrahl

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 22, 2009
    Franklin

I bought one of these refurbs from Alan as well a year or two ago. You can't tell its a refurb by looking at it and I haven't had any issues. I think it was around $80 or so out the door, but don't hold me to that. Highly recommend it and AAOptics.

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    When you research non-.22LR specific scopes make sure the minimum focus distance is 20 yards or less. Many centerfire scopes won't focus less than 50 yards or if non-focusing, the parallax will be set too far out. With that said, most of my .22lr scopes are not .22 specific.

BankShot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2020
    Clark County
    A call to Alan Alcorn, A&A Optics, is worth the dime. He'll ask a lot of questions, but will get you all sorted out as far as scopes art concerned.

I bought one of these refurbs from Alan as well a year or two ago. You can't tell its a refurb by looking at it and I haven't had any issues. I think it was around $80 or so out the door, but don't hold me to that. Highly recommend it and AAOptics.

Thanks for the input guys. I don't have a problem with refurbs if I can save a little money.

Top Bottom