• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I tried to search, but could only find old ads on stuff for sale.

My brother-in-law is an over the road truck driver. He just called me today looking for a "bullet proof vest" since his company is sending him into some of these riot areas.

I need some schooling on vests. I know that years ago, you could pick up a used/surplus Kevlar pistol rated vests for far less than new. But I don't have any idea where to get one. That is assuming they have not been all bought up as part of the recent panic buying. Most of the websites I looked at said they only sell to Military or Law Enforcement only.

If we find a good deal, I believe I will pick one up also. Both my brother-in-law and myself are 3XL shirt people because our....muscles (stomach is a muscle, right?).... are so large.

So INGO, where would I find a vest and are there any recommendations, hints or advise you all would have?

Last edited:

turnerdye1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    North Central IN

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    I got mine on Ebay a couple of years ago. It's a little hot and heavy to wear driving but if he's that nervous I suppose he could slip it on every time he got out of his truck.
    Level 3 will stop most handgun but rifles will require ar500 inserts.
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / Basic pistol instructor/ RSO[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT]

“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach

[FONT=&amp]SPB Links[/FONT]

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Picked up a couple Condor Exo XL for $80 each shipped. I'm a 3xl, so definitely go with the 11X14 plates. Got one set of level 4 steel plates off ebay (Downrange Industries)for less than $200 shipped and another set 10X12 from Botach, level 3 (UHMV) for $225 shipped 10x12 is too small. Make sure the carrier you choose can take 11X14, not all of them can.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    https://botach.com/battle-steel-level-iiia-ballistic-armor-package/
    Or if you wanna try Botach.com you can get the Battle Steel brand of soft armor. Mrgunsandgear just did a review on this and it stopped everything IIIA rated. And its a 125 bucks for 11x14 soft plates and a size of 2XL+

WOW! I watched the review you mentioned and I gotta say, that is a smokin deal. I think that is my answer. It won't protect my BIL from everything, but probably most of the stuff he could, but hopefully never will run into.

I know that he is getting hazard/extra pay for these runs. According to him, his trucking company already had one driver who was hijacked recently. I guess he got out OK, but barely so. I can't seem to find an article on it.

Anyway, this will be a great relief for him. Thanks for the info!

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    WOW! I watched the review you mentioned and I gotta say, that is a smokin deal. I think that is my answer. It won't protect my BIL from everything, but probably most of the stuff he could, but hopefully never will run into.

I know that he is getting hazard/extra pay for these runs. According to him, his trucking company already had one driver who was hijacked recently. I guess he got out OK, but barely so. I can't seem to find an article on it.

Anyway, this will be a great relief for him. Thanks for the info!

I have this same package. I ordered a set of 3+ hard plates and threw this set on top of the order just because. Super lightweight and the vest cinches down snug enough to make it low profile. I can wear it under a sweat shirt or jacket easily and I doubt anyone would really notice it.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I have this same package. I ordered a set of 3+ hard plates and threw this set on top of the order just because. Super lightweight and the vest cinches down snug enough to make it low profile. I can wear it under a sweat shirt or jacket easily and I doubt anyone would really notice it.

Seems to me to be the best bang for buck at this moment in time when it comes to bullet proof vests.

I ordered 2 kits this morning, 1 for my BIL and 1 for me.

Megasaki

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 1, 2020
    Bloomington
    If you can find a Pinnacle Armor vest that would be nice. They made them in various sizes to include 5xl.
    I have a Pinnacle Armor level 2 trauma plate, soft, that I shoot and it surpasses 3A standards.
    You can find them on ebay, occasionally.

You may want to steer clear of rhino body armor. I have seen videos of them failing.

Find out if he wants soft or hard body armor.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    If you can find a Pinnacle Armor vest that would be nice. They made them in various sizes to include 5xl.
    I have a Pinnacle Armor level 2 trauma plate, soft, that I shoot and it surpasses 3A standards.
    You can find them on ebay, occasionally.

You may want to steer clear of rhino body armor. I have seen videos of them failing.

Find out if he wants soft or hard body armor.

He wanted soft armor so he can wear it for long periods while driving truck.

We already purchased the vest kit listed up thread from Botach.com. 2 complete kits with shipping totaled $281.

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I was looking into a vest after the wife suggested getting a couple for SHTF scenarios. I had seen the Dragon Skin that Pinnacle developed a while back that was flexible armor rated for rifles. I see Safe Life Defense now carries something similar. I would love to get something like that but those are extremely expensive for a might need purchase. I do like their level 3a+ vests as they are 360 degree protection with no gaps on the sides. They are more expensive but the advantage of complete coverage seemed like a nice addition. Looked like a lot of other styles you would have to add pieces to get the same coverage. If it came to needing the vest I would want the most coverage I could get. If I won the Lottery I would drop the $2400 on the Flexible Rifle Armor.

Top Bottom