• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I'm needing a set for an upcoming class. I've not had a good pair in a while, what are we all using? I've had the Steiners, which I'm partial to, but I know there has to be some newer stuff out there.

Thanks in advance.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I was on a budget and used these for outdoor archery legue. The light gathering suffers at dawn and dusk. Like I said...budget.

PENTAX UCF Zoom II 8-16x21 Binoculars

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Try here: https://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/

He has recommendations for different budgets, And if you take the time to go through the technical articles he’s written You can make your own decision about what you need. I did this, decided what I wanted in the way of power and other features, and kept my eyes peeled. When Amazon had a sale on Vanguards I was able to pick up a really decent pair at a good price.

He makes a point of only writing about/recommending binocs he has personally used, not regurgitating manufacturers literature into some kind of list.

Last edited:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I picked up a pair of compact Leupold bino for indoor and 3d archery league. I believe they are 8x or 10x. Found them for $100 at a local gun shop. Nice optics and the compact design was great considering I was already carrying the rangefinder, arrows, bow and release. I didn't want something heavy hanging on me the whole time while shooting.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    It's a rifle class at Valor Ridge, still on the debate on how much I want to invest in a set. I like a few, but the price is nice and hefty as well. They won't be used just for this class, I'm sure they will be added to the vehicle bag.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I'm needing a set for an upcoming class. I've not had a good pair in a while, what are we all using? I've had the Steiners, which I'm partial to, but I know there has to be some newer stuff out there.

Thanks in advance.

What's the budget. Real fond of my Leica's. Swarovski makes some nice ones.

Birding sites may have some nice used ones in their classifieds.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Just like anything, price range, and purpose are going to be determining factor's.

You will want a different set if your trying to see bullet holes, than you will if your trying to find game.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Alan - what would you recommend for 50 or 100 yds for rifle classes (.22/.223) that are moderately priced? And for people with astigmatism ;)

Moderately priced means something different to everyone.

For instance, "middle of the road"

Technically bino's go from 1 dollar to 4k dollars. So the "middle" is 2k". unless your Donald Trump, 2k bino's are not middle of the road.

With the info provided, for seeing bullet holes at 100 yards, you will want 10x42ish. Quality level of 10x42's is determined by price.

Feel free to PM/email me alan@aaoptics.com

Last edited:

drm-hp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Brownsburg
    I am not a lightweight freak, but I became aware that I do not want more weight than is necessary. I was carrying a binocular and a rangefinder while hunting. I saved some money, sold both of the optics I had, then bought a pair of Leica Geovoids 8 x 40 w/rangefinder. Fantastic quality of workmanship, the glass is second to none! Looking back on it, this was a very good decision for me, I use this tool more often than I used the two tools.
    I will add that this was an expensive test had it not worked, but I would purchase these binoculars again and will not be without them. Just add them to the list of items you leave/ pass on once you are done with them, quality is appreciated.

Top Bottom