Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    ^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I used it for years.

Thanks CM!

its true, i have a pair of iron rangers, been around the globe 2 times (physically Ho Chi Minh city and back and Shanghai and back) with countless miles on them. (not even counting Disney Land...) A little dirty, but i can use cleaner and conditioner to bring them back to "new" quickly.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I used Sno Seal a lot for its waterproofing qualities when I was a scout growing up in Indiana. Did a lot of camping and hiking in snow and rain and muck, it did a pretty good job of keeping the water out. Used to heat up the boots on a heat register, slather it on, rubbed into the seams and welts, let it soak in, wipe off any excess. That was ...um... a long time ago, but see that they still sell it, so I suppose that says something good about it.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Just want to add even though not what the OP asked. If they are nice boots use Bickmore Bick 4 leather conditioner. It will not discolor high end leather (think expensive cowboy boots) protects and keeps the original beauty. If you are thinking hunting boots, maybe something else, but I do use it on my work and play rough boots too...

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    In that many museums use Pecards leather dressing to preserve leather goods in their collections, I guess it will do for me.

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    Don't some of the products like mink oil actually cause leather to deteriorate?

I think actual Mink Oil can deteriorate leather, Red Wing and others are using blends of other things that are now safe. jsut be careful, mink oil and other things that "plug the pores" can cause the leather to darken, sometimes permanently

Chance

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Berne
    I have used Snow Seal and a hair dryer on leather boots. Apply the Snow Seal With an old tooth brush and then warm up the leather with the hair dryer and it soaks into the leather. My 40 year old Bean Boots are still waterproof and get recoated as needed.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    If I remember right a lot of these products can screw up your GoreTex though.

Yes they can, GoreTex is easy to screw up. Here's why.

Simplistically, the inventor recognized that a molecule of water was larger than a molecule of sweat, therefore if they made a fabric that the spaces were smaller than water but larger than sweat ventilation would occur while remaining waterproof. If you fill these spaces with oil the ventilation will no longer occur...

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Plain ole silicone spray. Cheap and effective. If you have Goretex, you don't need waterproofing. Leathers are generally good to go unless you abrade the poop out of them but the Redwing mink oil is good stuff. So are the Danner products.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've used the mink oil and it does a decent job. I have a 25+ yr old pair of suede Timberland boots. I use Vaseline on them to keep them waterproof and soft.
    I wear them all year round fishing and hunting. Still waterproof.
    They show their age now but they looked good for years. I've got my money's worth out of them.

therewolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2013
    United States
    What made Goretex popular is it breathes. You want a certain amount of water resistance. You don't want "waterproof"
    boots, because if water can't get in, sweat can't get out, either. A nice, long, hard day, sweating, in completely waterproof boots won't kill
    you, but you may wish it did. You can wind up with a seriously swollen up, blistered mess, if you go overboard, waterproofing your boots.

Top Bottom